Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Battery problem?

Gosh I hope not....... my battery was down just before we went on vacation by one fourth, (one notch on the screen) and then I charged it before we left. Well I didn't read much, maybe 30 minutes in the car and that was it..... I just get too distracted...... so we are now home, I opened up to read and noticed my battery is back down...... now there should be no reason for that battery to be down that low, I haven't used it.

I hope this isn't a sign I am going to have some kind of problem with my battery.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
by any chance did you leave the reader on, with the cover closed?
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The only issue I've had with the battery was one night when I didn't turn off the Reader because I thought the hibernate feature was supposed to turn it off. The next morning it was down a notch. Since then I always turn it off and the battery indicator hasn't budged.

However, I still think Hibernate should have kicked in.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's supposed to turn itself off after 60 minutes of no activity, if that's not working properly, you should probalby talk to the support guys.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No, I didn't leave it on at all. It was turned off and I turned it on and noticed it was half down.
Advert
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

well not half down, down one notch....... wrong wording on my part there.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I must have a ghost in my reader....... I turned it off to go and start working on dinner...... I just went and turned it on and now it reads a full charge again...

So I have a weird one, that is for sure whatever is going on............
Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's common, actually. What happens is if the battery "rests" it developes a larger 'surface charge' (an apparent potential on the contacts, that is more than it can actually supply in any real quantity). Also, the meter has pretty low resolution 25% per block, so it 'slips' around a bit on top of that. Nothing to worry about, and as long as the charge is supposed to (and generally does) last, not really a problem.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Okay thanks. I think that happened once before as well. For the time being I won't worry about it.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have also a strange problem. After my second charge I read like a 100 pages but my indicater is two bars down. I connected it to my computer many times and every time just as long as I was tranferring books to the reader. I don't know if transferring through the USB takes quite some power. I know this is the case with many devices that I have. Even the ones that charge through USB.

I will keep my eye one it but sending it back is no option since I'm in The Netherlands. In the worst case I just replace the battery myself.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Hmm.. my second charge wend down quite fast so it could be that my battery is faulty. Does anybody know the specs or maybe an address that has replacement batteries.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I noticed that too....... I went to do something with the reader connected to the usb to transfer books or something and when I turned it on later my charge was down another bar (2), BUT it did come back to just the one bar later one, it didn't remain that way......... the one charge down has remained. I can't see us having faulty batteries, or let's hope not... maybe it's a quirk?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I have charged it again and now I'm not going to connect it to the PC. Let's wait and see.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I have charged it again and now I'm not going to connect it to the PC. Let's wait and see.

Well my battery has run down after ~600 pages. So it is faulty.

But for the time being I will leave it like it is because the time between charges is still way longer than most commercial electronics. I don't have a problem charging it every few weeks.

If it really starts to be bad I will find a replacement battery and install that.

Maybe I'm being punished for my sig.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Diablo - what if it is fully charged and you don't connect it to a PC? How long does it last then?

Also, just to be sure, you guys aren't keeping your Readers in a cold place are you? For example I went on a trip and I kept the Reader in my bag in the trunk on the way there. After a 6 hour drive with it being 35 degrees out, my Reader's battery was depleted, cold really messes with batteries and drains them.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote