Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Dictionary for Sony 700

Sony has not yet added integrated dictionary lookup support to its readers (and with the search function of the 700 it seems a glaring oversight, to say the least) but while we are waiting for them to get a clue we can still make our own dictionaries.

As an example, i give you nrapallo's Webster's 1913 dictionary in epub format. It has a fully hyperlinked multi-level toc / index to help you get close to the word you're looking for, and from there you can use the search feature. it works really well. and it's free.

i'm sure we would all be really happy to see epub versions of other dictionaries if some ambitious soul takes on the project. i'm currently working on a french dictionary but it's going to take me a while...

since this seems to be a popular query around here, on wetdogeared's suggestion i'm making this a sticky.

500 / 505 owners looking for dictionaries, also take a look at this thread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
eweiss
eweiss began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
I was not able to download the Websters dictionary. It seems that the wayback engine couldn't find the file. Is it anywhere else? I sure hope SONY gets a clue and comes up with a searchable good dictionary for this. I love it but miss that feature.
eweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you don't need the wayback engine : just scroll down to the end of the first post ; the dictionary is attached there.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Is there a reason why you can't load a dictionary and then use the search feature? If it's a word you don't know it's probably not going to appear too many places right? Or maybe this suggestion is faster? I don't know because I don't have mine yet.
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC View Post
Is there a reason why you can't load a dictionary and then use the search feature? If it's a word you don't know it's probably not going to appear too many places right? Or maybe this suggestion is faster? I don't know because I don't have mine yet.
I think that's pretty much how it works, ChelC. What's posted here is a dictionary for us to download and have handy in our reader for quick reference. One can find words either by searching them or using the index.

As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any significant steps made towards a fully integrated dictionary for the PRS700 (be it hack-made or from Sony)

Cheers

Last edited by el.astrologo; 02-17-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Thank you Zelda!!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Thank you Zelda indeed. Is there a more updated English dictionary beyond 1913 for the Sony?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

you are welcome to everyone, but the real thank you should go to nrapallo ! he did all the work making the dictionary. you might toss a little karma his way when you download.

i am not aware of a more recent edition available for the moment but i hope there will be one soon (i would buy an epub version of a recent dictionary in a heart beat). there are other free / open source dictionaries but i'm not sure whether they've been made available in epub format, for instance the GNU open source collaborative dictionary available on mr but only in mobi format for the moment, and i believe the StarDict site has many dictionaries available but in their specific format ; i'm not sure how easy it would be to convert them.

if anyone DOES find other dictionaries, PLEASE post a link to them in this thread ! i will do the same of course.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Could you not purchase a dictionary from say mobipocket.com's website in .mobi format, remove the DRM and then load it on the Sony PRS-700 as a searchable ebook?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
What would be lovely would be having the Oxford English Dictionary in eBook format. For those who don't know, the OED is the most complete dictionary for the English language. It's a descriptive dictionary as opposed to prescriptive. It spans multiple book volumes (20 plus volumes).
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
What would be lovely would be having the Oxford English Dictionary in eBook format. For those who don't know, the OED is the most complete dictionary for the English language. It's a descriptive dictionary as opposed to prescriptive. It spans multiple book volumes (20 plus volumes).
oh yes, i'm dreaming of that as well...
Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi Zelda!

Thank you for this link. I love the dictionary and it works perfectly on my PRS-505.

I'm also dreaming of epub-dictionarys for the Sony-devices in various languages etc. Hope they will be available once.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo_Germany View Post
Hi Zelda!

Thank you for this link. I love the dictionary and it works perfectly on my PRS-505.
you're welcome. it's great to have a dictionary, isn't it ?

Quote:
I'm also dreaming of epub-dictionarys for the Sony-devices in various languages etc. Hope they will be available once.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
did you vote on the poll to show your support ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47206
hopefully adobe will take notice and add this feature when they see how many people really want it. fingers crossed...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
Thierry
Thierry began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Hi guys,
I am looking for a way to create a dictionary in the sony prs 700. Any help?
Thanks so much
Thierry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
missbea
missbea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
This would be the dictionary to have for sure!
missbea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, epub, sony 700