Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #31
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
The DRM part is just idiotic. Waste of money, and many will just not buy the stuff, if they can't strip it (including me.) Barnes & Noble is a dinosaur.
For me, the problem with DRM is that it limits the devices and means that if today I own a Sony and tomorrow a Kindle, I can't move my Sony books to my Kindle. If they resolve this problem (assuming, of course, that Kindle should someday accept ePub), then I have no problem with DRM.

If DRM simply prevents me from posting a book file on the Internet for everyone and anyone to download, then the DRM is fine.

If the DRM prevents me from moving books from one device to another or sharing a book with my family absent giving them my device, then DRM is not fine.

I will give Google, Sony, and B&N the benefit of the doubt until they demonstrate they do not deserve it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #32
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh another incompatible DRM scheme. Now that epub shows signs of ending the tower of e-babel publishers have happily started constructing a tower of DRM
Kovid, aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Besides, ePub was always DRM neutral. It was/is just a formatting scheme. Aren't the current eBabel problems a combination of incompatible formats + incompatible DRM schemes? If the trio do as they say, maybe what we are looking at is mor along the lines of a universal format (ePub) combined with a type of social DRM that enables publishers to identify those who buy an ebook and then make it freely available on the Internet to anyone and everyone. If so, I don't think that is so bad.
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Kovid, aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Besides, ePub was always DRM neutral. It was/is just a formatting scheme. Aren't the current eBabel problems a combination of incompatible formats + incompatible DRM schemes? If the trio do as they say, maybe what we are looking at is mor along the lines of a universal format (ePub) combined with a type of social DRM that enables publishers to identify those who buy an ebook and then make it freely available on the Internet to anyone and everyone. If so, I don't think that is so bad.
I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #34
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
They wouldn't be able to right now. Sony is already partnered with Borders right now, it would be a conflict of interest.
I doubt the Border's agreement is exclusive.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #35
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke.
See what believing can do . But then I'm generally an optimist.
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #36
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Yes, it is joke but people from Barnes & Noble and Sony may read it too and make it real
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #37
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh another incompatible DRM scheme. Now that epub shows signs of ending the tower of e-babel publishers have happily started constructing a tower of DRM
That's such a funny post. You had me laughing starting with the "Sigh," from the author of converting software, on to "tower of e-babel" and through for the metaphor. Thanks, I'm still laughing.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #38
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I doubt the Border's agreement is exclusive.
Usually with stuff like this they are. Booksellers are pretty territorial.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
That's not even funny!

I was so excited I nearly p**d my pants!! And now you all are saying it's an April Fool's joke! Darn!

Oh, well, it could happen, I guess. In that dream world I call, "Happy Ebook Land!"

Good one, NatCH. Much better than my 7 year old telling me there was something crawling on the wall behind me -- April Fools, Mom!

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #41
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Maybe I'm just old, but I no longer find April Fools funny. It's just annoying. Get off my lawn!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Fooled again....what a day today...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #43
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Maybe I'm just old, but I no longer find April Fools funny. It's just annoying. Get off my lawn!

That line never gets old.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #44
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
What?? You people are nuts if you think this is a joke! I'm telling you, listen to the cat. Cats know all. Besides, do you really think Alexander would let NatCh post an April Fool's joke quoting people from Sony, Google, and B&N on the front page of MR? Come on, people. This is a joke within a joke within a joke. NatCh is just pulling our legs by not pulling our legs. Trust the cat!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #45
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Nope. Sorry. I don't believe it's not true. Now NatCh has changed the link to make us think this is a joke. But earlier today it took you to the Sony website for press releases - it just wasn't posted there yet. Nope. I don't believe it's not true. Nope. No way.

(is it?)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april fools!, barnes & noble, e-book, ebook, google, google books, reader, sony