Device: SONY PRS-T1
More details could be found here
http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/products/DPT-S1/
http://www.sony.jp/products/catalog/DPT-S1_1310.pdf
batchaesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #317
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I don't understand where you guys got the $1000 price point, the document states an "open price"meaning that it should be available at retailers
OK, I'm interested again.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #318
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Also, I don't understand where you guys got the $1000 price point,
it's right at the very bottom of the sony page in a box

Quote:
"DPT-S1" 98,000 yen digital paper: market estimated price

※ "market estimated price" is what about the pre-launch of the product, we have to estimate the selling price in the market.
The selling price of the actual product depends on the combination of the solutions and services system configuration.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #319
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it's right at the very bottom of the sony page in a box
Ahh, I stopped reading when I got to the footnotes, my bad.
Yes, that is right at the $1.000 price point. The open price under the picture however is an indication that the ¥98.000 is more like a sticker price for a car, I would expect it at around ¥75.000 when it comes out and then 10.000 less after six months.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #320
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Yes, that is right at the $1.000 price point. The open price under the picture however is an indication that the ¥98.000 is more like a sticker price for a car, I would expect it at around ¥75.000 when it comes out and then 10.000 less after six months.
Hopefully, in 6-12 months' time we will be seeing some other similar readers too, using Plastic Logics's technology.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/media-centre/videos/

Last edited by markom; 11-08-2013 at 06:59 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #321
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
All these people saying that the price will probably go down don't consider 2 things.

1. The Sony DPT-S1 is only produced in small quanitities for the business market

2. For the price to go down there must be high sales

Which seems very unlikely, given the chosen market sector (B2B), the market region (japan) and the small quantity produced.

More likely than not this will end up as a very expensive niche product.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #322
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
2. For the price to go down there must be high sales
Not necessarily. One reason for the high price is probably low production yields on these large screens (ie a high percentage of them don't work). Yields almost always significantly increase over time as manufacturing techniques improve. Early adopters of any new technology generally pay more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #323
simond91
simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: icarus excel, sony 13" reader
and about the realease date? it seem i read the 3 of december.... the red line at the beginning. Does anybody know something more?
simond91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #324
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

your right HarryT, higher yields could imply that.. But sony isn't really known for reducing prices for their premium products..

I have really given up hope because of this japan-only release AND that it is aimed for business solutions..

I was really sceptical at first if it was the right thing to buy the Hanvon E920, but now I am sure it was

I wouldnt mind paying 600 or 700 Euros though for the Sony if it is released in Europe and supports more than .pdf
Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #325
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Sounds great. Where to order one? My japanese friend will bring it to me on xmas.

Btw. stop complaining. If you want something cheap buy an Ipad... ;-)

Last edited by joblack; 11-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #326
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Well, it's questionable if it will be available in your regular electronics stores. Tell your friend to visit the Sony showroom in Yurakucho, they might have some on display and could say where you can buy over.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #327
gamba66
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Sounds great. Where to order one? My japanese friend will bring it to me on xmas.

Btw. stop complaining. If you want something cheap buy an Ipad... ;-)
You do know that sony readers in the japan region only support japanese language? (no english setting)

so if you are good in japanese.. ^^
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #328
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
You do know that sony readers in the japan region only support japanese language? (no english setting)

so if you are good in japanese.. ^^
I don't think so. It's targeted for business and education. The prototype is in English. Even so it wouldn't be that hard to use it in Japanese. Not so much text to know anyway.

I'll wait a few days after release to decide ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #329
gamba66
Zealot

I will also wait, of course I am interested too, regardless of the price! If there is any possibility to buy this reader with english localization I will surely get it. If it is in japanese only like the Sony T-Reader line, then it is too much of a hassle though

I am always very sceptical in asian companies and their claims, I have once waited ages for a South Korean 13" gaming laptop which was never released, but always presented and announced.

Same goes for the Paper Logic and similiar readers or even the Hanvon E920 which I currently own. Although it was announced to be released in Europe too, it ended up as a China-only release.. Luckily it has support for English languages
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #330
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I don't think so. It's targeted for business and education. The prototype is in English. Even so it wouldn't be that hard to use it in Japanese. Not so much text to know anyway.

I'll wait a few days after release to decide ...
How are you going to buy one if it's only going to be sold to businesses?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote