Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
T1 questions

I have tried these in an existing thread, but was mostly ignored, so I am trying with a new thread.

1. Is the dictionary as easy to use as on the 350/650? Please describe in detail the steps needed to bring it up for a word in a book.
2. Cover - how is it attached to the reader? Does it come with any kind of sleeve?
3. Can you charge the device with an USB cable that is not attached to a computer? This does not work for the 505, the other end of the USB must be a computer to charge it.
4. Is the normal (non-usb) charger the same as for the 350 / 505?
5. How is the web browsing experience - I mostly read articles on the web, is the reader suitable for this, or is it a pain to use?

Thank you.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I can't answer these questions, but as I've pointed out before, you can most definitely charge the 505 without a computer, and it is much more convenient to do so, because it charges faster, and you can read while charging. and while I don't own a T1, i am positive that as with the 505, you can charge the T1 in the same manner. The 505 and the t1 don't come with A/C adapters but they work with most standard ones.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
1. Is the dictionary as easy to use as on the 350/650? Please describe in detail the steps needed to bring it up for a word in a book.

With the T1 I press on the word for a second. It is a firmer press than with the 350. It brings up the definition, plus access to wikepedia, google search & a few other things. Then to close tap on the screen..

2. Cover - how is it attached to the reader? Does it come with any kind of sleeve?

I haven't gotten my cover yet. It was shipped yesterday. So can't answer that.

3. Can you charge the device with an USB cable that is not attached to a computer? This does not work for the 505, the other end of the USB must be a computer to charge it.

I use my cell phone charger to charge it. With the USB cable it has to be attached to a computer.

I don't know about the 505, but is is the same as the 350. Like I said I use my cell phone charger for both my 350 & T1.

5. How is the web browsing experience - I mostly read articles on the web, is the reader suitable for this, or is it a pain to use?

I tried it. It is okay but not the greatest experience. You can zoom in & out with a two finger movement. You see about as much as you can expect on a 6" screen. You do need to zoom in to see the smaller print.

I just got my T1 on Tuesday night so I'm still working to learn all about it. This is my first wifi reader with Sony so I can't compare to any others.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Also the PRS-600, -650, and -350 can al be charged with a USB cable charger. No computer needed.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I have tried these in an existing thread, but was mostly ignored, so I am trying with a new thread.

Thank you.
!. yes, press and highlight and the dictionary shows up at the bottom plus you have options for google, wikipedia, highlight, add note and search. very simple.
2. Snaps in quite nice, no sleeve
3. I've charged it using a wall plug usb device good for an iPhone or iPod
4. standard micro usb not the mini usb
5. web browsing for books is good, as far as general browsing the refresh is about what I expect for e-ink I wouldn't want it to be my main choice for surfing.

Last edited by trevgriff; 10-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Does the cover have a slot for the stylus?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
No slot for the stylus. But you can use any non-scratching implement for the stylus.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question

Non-scratching implement - are we sure about this ?

How does one find out what won't scratch ! [Without finding out practically, hopefully !]

In the past, some screens have been marked by using apparently soft plastic...

Toothpick ? Nintendo clones ?

Chris needs to get in on this - 'cos there aint half gonna be a lot of lost ones, I should think !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
The non-USB chargers for 505 and 350 are different. You can charge a 505 with a Sony PSP (or clone) charger. It has a barrel connector.

Re: stylus - I don't know about the T1 but I can do many things on my PRS650 with a fingernail -- less greasy plus 9 built-in spares
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Also the PRS-600, -650, and -350 can al be charged with a USB cable charger. No computer needed.
No you cannot charage the 600 with a USB cable charger. It has to be the barrel plug. That's the way they did the x00 series.

ETA: nevermind! I stand corrected. Thanks JSWolf.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 10-06-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
No you cannot charage the 600 with a USB cable charger. It has to be the barrel plug. That's the way they did the x00 series.
Actually, you can charge a 600 via USB. But you cannot read while charging via USB.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post

With the T1 I press on the word for a second. It is a firmer press than with the 350. It brings up the definition, plus access to wikepedia, google search & a few other things. Then to close tap on the screen..
Interesting take in explaining this feature. I thought the T-1 still used the infrared touch screen (same touch screen as the x50 line). Since this type of touch screen does not require any pressure to operate saying it is a "firmer press" is a interesting way to describe its use.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Interesting take in explaining this feature. I thought the T-1 still used the infrared touch screen (same touch screen as the x50 line). Since this type of touch screen does not require any pressure to operate saying it is a "firmer press" is a interesting way to describe its use.
It's not a firmer press to pull up the definition. It's the same technology as the x50 readers and requires the very lightest touch to bring up a definition.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Maybe better way to describe it is a "long press" instead of a "tap". Not necessarily a firmer press.

The IR touch screen is extremely responsive, maybe feels too responsive sometimes especially if you're used to a typical capacitive touch screen on a mobile phone or a tablet
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
@dwanthy & dieterpops

I think there is something wrong with my T1. It is going back to Best Buy tonight. Hopefully I can exchange it, but if not I'll return it & buy another one. There are other issues requiring numerous soft re-sets.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote