aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Kindle 3 Transfer PDF

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...02Y27P3M#email

Transferring Files Via USB

Both Macintosh and Windows users can download and transfer Kindle content, personal documents, and MP3 and Audible files from their computers to their Kindles through the USB connection. When your Kindle is plugged into your computer, your Kindle will appear as a removable mass-storage device.

Built-in PDF Reader for Kindle (Latest Generation), Kindle (2nd Generation), and Kindle DX devices

Your Kindle displays most PDF documents without losing the formatting of the original file. You can magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode. The only Kindle devices supported for PDFs are the (Kindle Latest Generation and 2nd Generation) and Kindle DX.
Hi Kindle 3 users... I am interested to purchase kindle 3 and quite thrilled by the new PDF support.
Can anyone confirm that PDF transfer from PC to Kindle 3 is as easy as drag and drop ??

Sorry for the lame post.
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Plug your kindle into your pc using the usb cord supplied.

Locate the pdf file, and drag it to your documents file on the K3.

If it isn't password protected, or drm'd, it works.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
aquawater
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer.
Do you think K3 is suitable for reading PDF ?
PDF with text, graphics and programming codes?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Thanks for the answer.
I'll let you know when I get mine today.

My SIL has a DX and his reads those beautifully........the larger screen is a huge plus for that application.

The smaller screen might show them clearly, but be harder to read.

In any case, you have 30 days to return or trade up if you don't like your K3!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I'm less than impressed with trying to read PDF on my K3. Haven't figured out how to resize the page to the optimum level yet, so need to explore that option.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Thanks for the answer.
I have to say "no". The Kindle doesn't support any form of PDF reflow, so all you can do is to zoom in on the page, then pan across it. That's no way to read a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Well, on a K3 the display is far too small for page-sized PDFs, and zooming is a real pain in the neck.

By contrast, the DX display works well for PDFs, but the v2.5.5 PDF software that it uses is buggier than an anthill.

To quote Amazon, "most" PDFs can be displayed on a Kindle, so testing with those you need is highly recommended.

So no, if your primary requirement is displaying PDFs, the Kindle is not a very good solution at this time.

However, the good news is that you can try a Kindle to determine whether the PDF support works for you, and if it's not good enough, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I'm less than impressed with trying to read PDF on my K3. Haven't figured out how to resize the page to the optimum level yet, so need to explore that option.

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to say "no". The Kindle doesn't support any form of PDF reflow, so all you can do is to zoom in on the page, then pan across it. That's no way to read a book.
[QUOTE=EldRick;1114190]Well, on a K3 the display is far too small for page-sized PDFs, and zooming is a real pain in the neck.

By contrast, the DX display works well for PDFs, but the v2.5.5 PDF software that it uses is buggier than an anthill.

To quote Amazon, "most" PDFs can be displayed on a Kindle, so testing with those you need is highly recommended.

So no, if your primary requirement is displaying PDFs, the Kindle is not a very good solution at this time.

However, the good news is that you can try a

These people know what they are talking about.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You might want to look at the Sony PRS-650 instead. It has the same 6" "Pearl" eInk screen that the Kindle 3 has but, unlike the K3, it does support reflow of PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
I have a Kindle 3, and I've had no problems with PDF so far. If you want you can send me a PDF that you have, and I'll put it in my K3 and take a few pics/screenshots and post here.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
PDF is mostly the same from the old kindle 2 vs 3...

videos I had of various PDFs tested on the old kindle 2 and old kindle DX

http://www.youtube.com/user/kindlepw
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
text PDF's that don't have DRM can be converted to MOBI format using Calibre, and these reflow perfectly
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
aquawater
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the reply.
IMHO, PDF reflow will mess up pdf books with programming codes, and tables-like structure.. Unfortunately there is no sample hardware to try.
And I am not in US, hence I am not sure about 30 days return policy. Does it still apply for non-US customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
I have a Kindle 3, and I've had no problems with PDF so far. If you want you can send me a PDF that you have, and I'll put it in my K3 and take a few pics/screenshots and post here.
Ricsmania, thanks for the offer. There are some PDF sample available here.
Could you post some screenshots for these books.
WPF 4 Unleashed, any page with text, or page 8 in chapter 1 sample.

jQuery in Action, Second Edition in particular, Chapter 1, page 10, 11, 12 (those with codes and tables). Chapter 9, page 11.

Last edited by aquawater; 09-17-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
I usally read PDF's in landscape mode on my Sony Touch (PRS-600, same screen size as the K3). Landscape mode works OK for me, which I prefer over the PDF reflow, as the reflow can mess up formatting. Of course, my PDFs are mostly text; it might not work as well for PDF's with a lot of tables and graphs.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

[QUOTE=aquawater;1114390]
And I am not in US, hence I am not sure about 30 days return policy. Does it still apply for non-US customers?

/QUOTE]

Check with your Amazon site.......it will state return policies for your country.