Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
PEZ Questions: folder support

I'm thinking about ordering a PEZ because of its folder support. Before I pull the trigger, is the folder support practical for a gigabyte epub library on SD, organized /genre/author/series?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If you have it organized into multi-layer folders it will display just that way and you'll navigate just that way. If you copy your structure to the storage on the PP.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a PEZ because of its folder support. Before I pull the trigger, is the folder support practical for a gigabyte epub library on SD, organized /genre/author/series?
You can organise the folders in any manner you want, including nested folders.

Do remember, the default display is for 8 folders per page, befoe you need to flip to second page for more folders.

Similarly, nested folders need more than one keypress to get at the file you want.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
For readability of names, keep your folder names below 29 characters (includes space and punctuation)
The number of chars may vary (I use IBOOKN ) by system font used.

In smaller print below the name, shows the number of Folders and Files in that level (only)
A File name includes date and time in small print, again 29 chars +... is all that shows.

All folder contents shuffling needs to be done from your PC.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
And how about usability? How sluggish is navigating the folders, with an eink display?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Mine is navigating folders quite smoothly and responsively. Not sluggish.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Mine is navigating folders quite smoothly and responsively. Not sluggish.
Yep. Certainly not instantaneous, but useable. The limit of 8 items mentioned above could be bothersome I'd think if you really intend on putting your entire library on it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One "downside" of the Jinke devices, which you should be aware of, is that they only display filenames. Pretty much every other device on the market displays the books' metadata - title, author, the cover image, and so on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
rling
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep. Certainly not instantaneous, but useable. The limit of 8 items mentioned above could be bothersome I'd think if you really intend on putting your entire library on it.
I've created multiple nested folders for my library, with one folder containing the books I intend to read to have a shortlist, and minimize key presses.

There is also a folder kept by the system for recent books, and this one is at the very top of the folders list.

Overall, if you plan the structure of the library, you won't have too much trouble.

If you just dump every book which way, then navigating the folders is not all that difficult, and the speed is acceptable. Once you have opened the book you want, it will be in the recent book folder.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
rling
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One "downside" of the Jinke devices, which you should be aware of, is that they only display filenames. Pretty much every other device on the market displays the books' metadata - title, author, the cover image, and so on.
I see this as a plus, as it maximize the number of books listed per page. With meta data and pics, you will be limit to one book a page...
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
I see this as a plus, as it maximize the number of books listed per page. With meta data and pics, you will be limit to one book a page...
Why? The CyBook Opus, which has the same sized screen, can display up to 20 books per page. It's not the full-sized cover you see, but a "thumbnail".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Does OpenInkPot firmware allow more than 8 folders/books per page? I know they don't support v5, but they do support the v3.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Open ink pot supports V3 the only issue I have with them is that they do not do PDFs so they are readable. And I believe it is still 8 folders per page.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Bummer. The 'only' thing that I am unsatisfied with on the EZ line is the GUI. It raises some questions.

Why only 8/page? With the size of the fonts they use, they can easily increase the number to 20. Or increase it to 10 with metadata showing.

Since there are buttons with 1-(1)0 on the bottom, when you are in the menu, the 9 and 0 should NOT work as page turn. They should work ONLY in the book. In this manner, you can select folder 9 and 10, or book 9 and 10.

Hopefully OIP, or an updated Astak firmware will allow this.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Bummer. The 'only' thing that I am unsatisfied with on the EZ line is the GUI. It raises some questions.

Why only 8/page? With the size of the fonts they use, they can easily increase the number to 20. Or increase it to 10 with metadata showing.

Since there are buttons with 1-(1)0 on the bottom, when you are in the menu, the 9 and 0 should NOT work as page turn. They should work ONLY in the book. In this manner, you can select folder 9 and 10, or book 9 and 10.

Hopefully OIP, or an updated Astak firmware will allow this.
How many number buttons are there after you eliminate the 9 and 0 (Navigation arrows)?

A Poll ? of how many people use those keys to navigate the folders (only).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote