Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Does Outlander get any better?

I'm suffering through the first book (70% in), trying to figure out if I should continue. I like the environment and characters but the whole story line doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Considering its ratings, I had assumed it would be an excellent romance/adventure but I'm finding on the contrary, that I dislike the entire thing.

Spoiler:
She gets hard humped every few hours, wanders around aimlessly on horses with the group, converses about non-topics and gets a beating a red-headed step child would be jealous of. All the while worrying about what her husband is up to back home. Rinse, repeat.

Are the remaining 7 books like this too, or does it improve? I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel here.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved out of the Lounge and into the Reading Recommendations Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
My friends love the serie but like you I also found the first book pretty bad so I called it quit after and never read the rest. One of said friends love female nurses as protagonist. I also read The Lions of El-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay right before reading Outlander, and it was so good I cried at the end, and it also has a female doctor as one of the 3 main protagonists. So yeah...
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I haven't been attracted towards reading this series so will not comment specifically. What I would say is that if you are 70% through the first book and don't like it don't persevere. Life is short, books are cheap and plentiful and if you read for the whole of your life you would still not get through even all the books you would love. Give it up and move on.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I was lukewarm towards the first book but felt they got a lot better quickly.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
My wife loves it. That is why we have subscribed to STARZ video service so we could watch the series. I tried to read it, but couldn't get past a hundred pages or so. To be fair, while we both like science fiction and fantasy, she has no appreciation for my love of military SciFi and "space opera".

FWIW, I've found the TV series to be far more palatable than the book.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of defense of the book. Goodreads has many fans of the book. I guess readers here are more discerning. I myself came close to reading it, but feedback like this have steered me away from Outlander.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I abandoned the first book pretty quickly. The complete lack of any historical accuracy or apparently any knowledge of Scotland was too much for me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of defense of the book. Goodreads has many fans of the book. I guess readers here are more discerning. I myself came close to reading it, but feedback like this have steered me away from Outlander.
I'm quite sure Outlander has its fans here, but I suspect they prefer not to engage in a thread which is weighted against it.

Recommendations are dicey. I'd say the bias (and I don't mean that negatively, just as a statement of fact) at MR favors sci-fi and fantasy, with mystery also strong. Those of us with "fringe" interests need to look elsewhere for relevant or substantive judgments. Which is not to say that you can't be a fan of both sci-fi and science, for example, just that you're likelier to find critical mass in one area and not the other.

If you're really interested in opinions on Outlander, it would be worth floating a question in the Romance thread in the Deals forum, where you might get a more informed or nuanced reaction from those knowledgeable in its category.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Most romance fans dislike this series because of the cheating. There are some who love it but I find more romance readers against it than liking it.

I read the first book many years ago. I don't remember loving it or hating it.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you're really interested in opinions on Outlander, it would be worth floating a question in the Romance thread in the Deals forum, where you might get a more informed or nuanced reaction from those knowledgeable in its category.
What is the Deals forum???
Old 07-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
What is the Deals forum???
Romance thread in Deals Forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282247

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Romance thread in Deals Forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282247

Sent from my XT1528
Check your k.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Big Outlander fan here, not prone to argue though because everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Individually I do have issues with every book, but overall love the series.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm quite sure Outlander has its fans here, but I suspect they prefer not to engage in a thread which is weighted against it.
I can't defend it to people who can't get through it, because I couldn't either, the first time I read it. However, several years later, I came across some of its sequels at my local bookstore, recalled that I had already purchased the first one, and I gave it another try.

Now it is one of my favorite series -- I own the first five books in trade paperback, all nine books in both epub and audiobook format, the blu-ray and soundtracks for both seasons of the TV series, and I follow one podcast that analyzes every tv episode, as well as a (discontinued) podcast that analyzed the first three books -- but I don't think I could convince anyone else to give it a chance when they don't want to.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote