Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting. Mine is Apache OO 4.0.1. It see it is copyright 2013, so perhaps the option was added since?

Funnily enough, I've had a better PDF export from OOW than from Word (2007), and lots of self-pubbers complain of Word-generated PDFs that saving a formatted book often introduces changes in the number of lines per page, which has caused me to advise against using Word for that purpose. I do like it for finishing up a text, and editors of course expect doc or docx files.

(Hmm. I see that the current version of OO is 4.1.3. It doesn't sound like a radical advance. but I am downloading it anyhow.)

Later: no, the new download has no option to save as *.docx, even when I open a docx file.

Last edited by Notjohn; 07-22-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Interesting. Mine is Apache OO 4.0.1. It see it is copyright 2013, so perhaps the option was added since?

Funnily enough, I've had a better PDF export from OOW than from Word (2007), and lots of self-pubbers complain of Word-generated PDFs that saving a formatted book often introduces changes in the number of lines per page, which has caused me to advise against using Word for that purpose. I do like it for finishing up a text, and editors of course expect doc or docx files.

(Hmm. I see that the current version of OO is 4.1.3. It doesn't sound like a radical advance. but I am downloading it anyhow.)

Later: no, the new download has no option to save as *.docx, even when I open a docx file.
NJ:

As always, you have to take it with a grain of salt--someone who is using Word, who claims that X happens when they do Y.

IF you use Word 2003, you will, absolutely, run into pdf issues. the old Word had a built-in, deliberate bug--no matter what print size or page size you set, the end result would ALWAYS print to PDF at 8.5" x 11". This was due to the MSFT-->Adobe wars.

However, this has been resolved, as far as I know, since, what, 2013? Or thereabouts? (or, if like me, you have Acrobat Professional version whatever).

The only instance in which I can imagine Word-->PDF changing "the number of lines per page" is, see above, where the output file actually output to a page size of 8.5" x 11", rather than the desired size (eg, 6" x 9" or what-have-you).

Another thing that can happen, that is NOT MSFT's fault, is the interference of Mac's Preview program. This cursed progam does all sorts of weird shet to PDFS, and yes, indeedy, I've seen this firsthand. We counsel ALL of our clients not to ever--ever--open a PDF in Preview. (The Apple program Preview, not KDP's Preview(er)).

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@notjohn ==>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Apache+writer+docx+support

BR

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Thank you, but no joy! The only thing that seemed promising was Techwalla, who says:

Click on the arrow to the right of the "File Extension" bar. A menu drops down with several different file extension options. Click on the .docx extension to save the file in that format.

I see no File Extension bar, so I assume Techwalla is talking about what I see as Save As type. And there is no option to save as *.docx.

Most other online discussions go back to 2013 or thereabouts, and deal with opening a *.docx file. Indeed, there's no problem doing that. The problem exists in saving an Apache OOW file as *.docx format. I can't see that it is possible.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
The problem exists in saving an Apache OOW file as *.docx format. I can't see that it is possible.
Simply uninstall your outdated OpenOffice version and install LibreOffice. You'll hardly notice any difference and you can save files as .docx files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, but no joy! The only thing that seemed promising was Techwalla, who says:
@Notjohn - my bad

A colleague uses an extension to write DOCX in Apache Writer, she snagged the extension from a former client, and she suspects it was developed by the client's IT dept. She is not aware of anything similar that's publicly available.

I assumed because she can write DOCXs with Apache OO, anyone could

BR
Old 07-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Simply uninstall your outdated OpenOffice version and install LibreOffice. You'll hardly notice any difference and you can save files as .docx files.
I have LibreOffice and will take it out for a canter when I have time.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@notjohn ==>> http:...
BR
What's the real URL? I don't click on link hiding URLs. There is no reason at all to use such a URL on MR.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the real URL? I don't click on link hiding URLs. There is no reason at all to use such a URL on MR.
It's just a "Let Me Google That For You" link.

I went ahead and changed the url in the preceding posts, since the use of url-shortening services technically violate MobileRead's guidelines.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I didn't create the shortener link, that's what LMGTFY spat out at me.

Does anyone knows of an alternative to LMGTFY that isn't even more sarcastic than it is. I used to have one that just did the search without the infantile palaver at the start, unfortunately it died.

BR