Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #481
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
Ho.. I have never seen the -pi command anywhere, what does it do?

I also don't think that -hy will do anything since it's on by default. same is with -ls-, which will set the output to portrait mode, which is the default anyways.
Btw: Does someone know an easy way to extract the number of pages from a .djvu file?
-pi- is not a valid command-line option. If it wasn't a typo, it should be removed.

-hy is on by default.

But the -mode fw option turns on -ls, so -ls- after it is okay.

If nothing else, I believe you can get the djvu page count be running a brief k2pdfopt conversion (-p 1 -rt 0 -a-), redirecting the output to a file, and then parsing it for the page count.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #482
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
-pi- is not a valid command-line option. If it wasn't a typo, it should be removed.

-hy is on by default.

But the -mode fw option turns on -ls, so -ls- after it is okay.

If nothing else, I believe you can get the djvu page count be running a brief k2pdfopt conversion (-p 1 -rt 0 -a-), redirecting the output to a file, and then parsing it for the page count.
thanks for the advice. It works resonably well and fast with couting the "DJVU" tags in the file. Takes a few seconds max. and if your file is that large you won't really notice this time compared to the conversion time :-)
Would be a lot nicer if I could read the DIRM chuck, but I can't really find the information where it is supposed to be in the file. I don't know why but..whatever, main thing is that it works.
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #483
Vanilla
Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.Vanilla shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Would be a lot nicer if I could read the DIRM chuck, but I can't really find the information where it is supposed to be in the file. I don't know why but..whatever, main thing is that it works.
I think you can find the info here:

http://djvu.org/resources/

First link under the White Papers & Tech Docs section, is the djvu 3 specification. Section 8.3.2 describes the DIRM directory chunk HTH
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #484
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ho.. I have never seen the -pi command anywhere, what does it do?
The -pi option actually is parsed by k2pdfopt, but it doesn't do anything. It was intended to tell k2pdfopt to "preserve indentation." I believe I put it in as an upgrade to v1.35, but then changed text wrapping so that indentation was automatically preserved in v1.40, hence this option was no longer necessary, yet I still left in the code to parse the command line for it and store the option into the settings, which are never used subsequently. I may remove that code (which parses the command line for it) in the next release.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #485
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Ah I see. It still baffles me how you thought of all the functions. I mean, it was a lot of work just implementing them all in my GUI, which was practically the same for every function, but compared to actually thinking of and implementing these it's nothing. One can't stress enough how great your work (and the work of all the non-profit freeware developers out there) is.

Btw: I released the new version on my website. Unfortunatly it's not possible to update with the auto-updater in my program because of a bug in the updater (and I didn't implement a way to update the updater first..). But you can just download the new version at my website.
It has the multi-core feature in it. There is sometimes a little problem with djvu files because the number of pages is not read correctly (don't know why) but this is a rare case. The conversion still works anyways just the load on the different processes is not distributed evenly in these cases.

http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~...pdfoptgui.html

- Jens
Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #486
JensW
Enthusiast

By the way Willus,
what I always forgot to ask... Why "k2pdfopt"? How did you chose this name for the converter? :-)
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #487
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
By the way Willus,
what I always forgot to ask... Why "k2pdfopt"? How did you chose this name for the converter? :-)
K2 stands for K2, second-highest mountain on Earth also known as Chhogori/Qogir, Ketu/Kechu, and Mount Godwin-Austen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2

pdf is pdf and "opt" is simply "top" reflowed(wrapped), so top pdf reflowing application second to Mount Everest only

I'll never buy that prosaic K2 (Kindle 2) pdf optimization thing, not even Kindle-to-pdf-optimization

Last edited by markom; 07-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #488
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
By the way Willus,
While I think I like Markom's explanation better, I must confess it was not a very creative choice, and one that I made before I ever thought I'd actually distribute the program (I thought it would be a simple little tool for my own use on my Kindle 2). It says right on the web page, at the beginning of the "ABOUT" section:

K2pdfopt (Kindle 2 PDF Optimizer) is a stand-alone program...

BTW, the next release, which will have its own GUI (Windows only, and not nearly as complete as Jens', but enough to set the most commonly used options, and with a preview window) is probably ~2 months away. The GUI is nearing completion but still has some frustrating bugs (curse you, Win32 API). Then I have to chase out the various reported bugs from v1.65 and do regression testing, which can take a while. Command-line fans fear not--you'll still be able to use k2pdfopt exactly like always, and it will still work with Jens' GUI.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #489
gop
gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle
Hi, I am a new user to k2pdfopt thus I have a few problems. Firstly, my technical background:
I have kindle wifi '6 and Mac computer. I installed the programm, haven't had any problems with that, however whenever I launch a new pdf book to convert in k2pdfopt it always converts in a size 17.8 x 27.5 in which is waay to big to read in kindle e-reader, because I'm always left with a one big sentence per page. I would appreciate if you would help me. What to do?
gop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #490
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gop View Post
Hi, I am a new user to k2pdfopt thus I have a few problems. ... whenever I launch a new pdf book to convert in k2pdfopt it always converts in a size 17.8 x 27.5 in which is waay to big to read in kindle e-reader, because I'm always left with a one big sentence per page. I would appreciate if you would help me. What to do?
If the source document is 17.8 x 27.5 inches and is actually supposed to be, for example, 8.9 x 14.75 inches, then use the following option:

k2pdfopt -ds 0.5 myfile.pdf

The -ds stands for Document Scale and will scale the source document to half its original size (when you use 0.5 for the value).
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #491
gop
gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.gop got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle
thanks, it worked;]
gop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #492
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v1.66 released

K2pdfopt v1.66 is released. This is a bug fix / maintenance release that fixes the most commonly reported issues from v1.65. See the web site for details.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #493
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
Hi Willus,

I'm trying to justify left the ocr'd text.

Here's my code: "-h 5.75in -w 4in -ocr -p 15-16"

I've been using various combinations of "-j -", "-j 0", "-wrap-"

Just keeps making the text fit to the width of the page with awkward spaces in between words :/

Any solution?
Thanks!

Last edited by Lili819; 07-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #494
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lili819 View Post
I'm trying to justify left the ocr'd text.

Here's my code: "-h 5.75in -w 4in -ocr -p 15-16"

I've been using various combinations of "-j -", "-j 0", "-wrap-"

Just keeps making the text fit to the width of the page with awkward spaces in between words :/

Any solution?
Did you try -j 0- ?

i.e. -h 5.75in -w 4in -ocr -p 15-16 -j 0-

The zero does left justify and the - turns off full justification.

If that doesn't work, please post an example of your source file.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #495
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Did you try -j 0- ?

i.e. -h 5.75in -w 4in -ocr -p 15-16 -j 0-

The zero does left justify and the - turns off full justification.

If that doesn't work, please post an example of your source file.

Again- I love you.
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools