Read the entire series from start to finish. 60 38.71%
Read until fed up, read another book, and return. 52 33.55%
Read one book from series, then another, and return. 33 21.29%
Read two or more series at once. 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #76
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I tend to read one, then go to different books before coming back to the series.
That way it lasts longer but it's mainly to avoid burn out (and keep a social life). I like the wait and the feeling to be back in a known universe after some time.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #77
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The problem resolved itself. I've just finished First King of Shannara, and I don't feel like reading The Sword of Shannara directly after it. As I wanted to re-read about every series I have, I feel like reading The Diamond Throne (David Eddings, The Elenium 1) now. After that, I'll see what happens. Maybe I'll go back to Shannara, maybe continue with The Ruby Knight (The Elenium 2), or something else entirely. As there are quite some classics I want to read, I've loaded a few for when I get sick of reading too much Fantasy

So I've checked "Read more than one series at once"
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the poll is that it compartmentalizes how we read series. To actually gives us options for how we may actually read series, it should have been multiple choice. That's why I did not vote because just one answer is wrong for how I read series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #79
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Heh; true. I don't make polls every day
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #80
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Put me in the camp of flitting from genre to genre (mystery/Thriller, History, "Modern Lit" Sci-fi/Fantasy) and rarely if ever reading two books in the same series back to back. Have to have my variety.
That's me. I never read them back to back. I have over 20 series that I have started. Some I may never get back to.

Word & the Void was mentioned several pages back. I started the first one and had to force myself to finish it. I found it boring and will not read the next two. Undecided if I will read any more. I read Sword of Shanara in middle school, and several following books, but nothing by him in many years (having switched from sf/f to romance). I may re-read Sword of Shanara. I still have my original paper back copy!

I am anal about reading series in order, however it doesn't have to be in publication order. I have re-read almost the entire Anne McCaffrey Pern series in chronological order (not including the ones her son was in on), and am doing the same thing with MZB's Darkover series. I had read all of them decades ago. They were published all out of order, chronologically. I don't like that!
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #81
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Fascinating question from the OP. I suppose we use a number of different ways depending on the author. Easily obtainable books, like the Hercule Poiret series by Agatha Christie, can probably be read in order. Ed McBain's 87th Street series cannot be read in order, unless one is fastidious in collecting the books, and waits until all novels are assembled together. There are around 54 novels in the series. Many are out of print. I read George Simenon's Inspector Maigret series out of order and at different times, due to poverty. As I got older, I could afford to purchase books and deliberately tried to read them in order. With Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, the uninformed reader may discover a character has died in a later book, if the reader juggles the order. Do not hesitate to ask on this forum about any series that you are beginning.

Now, I have a question for the other members of this forum. What is the longest series you have ever read or attempted to read? Exclude graphic novels and comic books.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #82
mnha
mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.mnha calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle 4S; Paperwhite 2012; Nexus 7.2; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the poll is that it compartmentalizes how we read series. To actually gives us options for how we may actually read series, it should have been multiple choice. That's why I did not vote because just one answer is wrong for how I read series.
Personally, I find there are different kinds of series and their structure defines my reading behaviour. I'm primarily a fantasy/scifi reader and usually prefer trilogies, so bear with my choice of examples. Please.

There are the gargantuan linear series -- think Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth or Malazan Book of the Fallen -- I can only read those en bloc, which really means during vacations, when I have the time to plough through umpteen pages unmolested. I just can't enjoy them piecemeal.

There are structured linear series -- e.g. Salvatore's Drizzt or the older Dragonlance books -- which can be read one tri|tetra|pentalogy at a time. I tend to read them as such, with other trilogies in between, even if I'm in the mood to continue the series.

Other series consist of pretty much self-contained works (i.e. Riyria Revelations) -- I usually read until gorged, then throw in some non-fantasy thriller for variance.

Fourth kind of series is non-linear, like Shadowrun novel #1-n, short books not to be read in any particular order. Some good, some not. I haven't read any such series in a while, but I used to like them as "in between"-books.

All things combined, I'm great at turning easy things into very complicated matters.
mnha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #83
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
I'm another one that could have chosen 'all of the above' -depending on the series. I prefer to read them in order when I can, but usually not all at once. Its rare that I get through a series without needing a break of some kind. If each installment is very long, then I probably won't read the next book back-to-back.

Spoiler:
I am very fond of all the Pratchett books. I think reading them chronologically makes as much sense as by sub-series, but either would get you there, so why debate when you can just enjoy a good read?
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #84
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
If a series is fully available and I am enjoying the read I will go back to back until either I complete the series or alternatively until the series turns sour. Once a series turns sour I most likely will move on and not come back. An example of this for me, the last couple of Sookie novels were flat. I don't think I even read the last novel. Unless I get it on good authority that the writing and stories have improved I don't think I'll return to this series.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #85
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Now, I have a question for the other members of this forum. What is the longest series you have ever read or attempted to read? Exclude graphic novels and comic books.
Nancy Drew series--the original Grosset & Dunlap set of 56 books. I read them straight through in order one year.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shushan View Post
Spoiler:
I am very fond of all the Pratchett books. I think reading them chronologically makes as much sense as by sub-series, but either would get you there, so why debate when you can just enjoy a good read?
Spoiler:
Because it's more enjoyable read in written order. In order it's a great read. Out of order it's a good read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #87
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I read them in the order written (not chronological order, so for something like Narnia I will always read Lion/Witch/Wardrobe first)) and I'll read a bunch together if available. If I get bored, I'll stop and I may never go back (seems to be that way with Honor Harrington right now, but I'll probably read some more eventually). I usually don't reread as new ones come out, I just keep going as they arrive. I also don't generally like series where there are lots of offshoots with multiple authors since I find it annoying to keep track of which goes where. There is one series (1632 series by Eric Flint and a whole bunch of other people) that I've completely lost track of what I have and haven't read, so I keep reading other things rather than trying to figure it all out.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #88
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If a series is fully available and I am enjoying the read I will go back to back until either I complete the series or alternatively until the series turns sour. Once a series turns sour I most likely will move on and not come back.
That's a very good point. Many authors take a new direction that formerly faithful readers may not appreciate or run out of (creative) steam. I rarely come back to a series once its gone sour.

I can't recall if I ever read a lengthy series back-to-back. (I don't think Girl Genius counts.) If there are only a few books I might be fascinated enough to get through those (if they are available to me.) Since I often read several books at once, my usual reading patterns predispose toward taking breaks between installments (sometimes with another series).
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #89
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'll read a series from start to end (be it published order or recommended reading order). I'll re-read it, if it has been some time since I last read a book of the series.

I sometimes break the series by reading another book in between (but that book is never part of another series).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #90
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's been a week, are we ever going to see the poll results?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote