Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Is there a way to make it so my kindle does not show "real" page numbers?

Is it possible to turn off the "real" page numbers in my Kindle book?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool curiouser & curiouser

would you mind satisfying my curiosity as to why?

by the way i have no idea how you would do that.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
would you mind satisfying my curiosity as to why?

by the way i have no idea how you would do that.
They annoy me.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
They annoy me.
now that i think on it i believe there's a file that holds that info so i suppose you could delete it. i believe it's the .apnx file. but this info has not been tested by me so take it for what it's worth (not much) and be very careful lest you destroy something.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
now that i think on it i believe there's a file that holds that info so i suppose you could delete it. i believe it's the .apnx file. but this info has not been tested by me so take it for what it's worth (not much) and be very careful lest you destroy something.
Thanks. I deleted (after backing up) both the .apnx and the .mbp file in the same directory as the book. The pages don't show up anymore. I guess that the Kindle generates those files after you sideload a book. Is there any way to remove this information from a book using Calibre?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool calibre forum...

Quote:
Thanks. I deleted (after backing up) both the .apnx and the .mbp file in the same directory as the book. The pages don't show up anymore. I guess that the Kindle generates those files after you sideload a book. Is there any way to remove this information from a book using Calibre?
better ask in the calibre forum, that's a 'feature' of calibre.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I'd ask on the calibre forum about that one, but it is probably possible (to delete amazon-generated .apnx files on sync w/calibre) if you are prepared to write some code.

Calibre, by default, generates .apnx files when you use it to sideload. It is an option you can turn off. I find calibre-generated page numbers of not much use.

The .mbp file is where your bookmarks/notes/reading position are stored, so you should not remove it (it will just come back in any case).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool thought about it...

thought about it, drag a copy (don't move it out, copy it) of the calibre generated .mobi and place it in the documents folder of your kindle.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I guess that the Kindle generates those files after you sideload a book. Is there any way to remove this information from a book using Calibre?
Amazon purchased books get their .apnx wirelessly... so unless you leave the wireless off, it may get downloaded again.

For side-loaded books, calibre will automatically create a simulated .apnx file. If you go to Preferences->Plugins->Device interface plugins you can highlight the "Kindle 2/3 device interface", click the "Customize plugin button" and make sure those last two boxes are both unchecked:

"Send page number information when sending books"
"Use slower but more accurate page number generation"

Click apply (top left) and you're done. Calibre won't send the .apnx file when sideloading books to your Kindle anymore.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
thought about it, drag a copy (don't move it out, copy it) of the calibre generated .mobi and place it in the documents folder of your kindle.
Thanks. Actually, I just figured out a way. There's a tweak of the Kindle driver plugin that allows you to tell it not to send page number information. But thanks for the help!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Thanks. Actually, I just figured out a way. There's a tweak of the Kindle driver plugin that allows you to tell it not to send page number information. But thanks for the help!
All that typing for nothing.

Glad you figured it out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
All that typing for nothing.

Glad you figured it out.
Haha, thanks for the help anyway. I guess we overlapped. Guess I'll go close the thread I opened in the Calibre forum.