Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: ipad
Tiny numbers in 3M cloud reader app

My local public library uses the 3M Cloud reader service/app for some ebooks. As I was reading, I noticed little blurs at the ends of some lines of text. I whipped out a magnifying glass and it was tiny numbers. They seem to appear every few pages. I have noticed the numbers in all the books I have read from different publishers so they are probably added by the app??

It has my curiosity piqued and also my paranoid streak. Has anyone else noticed the numbers?

p.s. I like the 3M service. My library contracts with them for books that I cannot find on other services. For example, the library offers the Vince Flynn series. The service is also relatively new (I think) so it has decent book availability. They also make it easy to return books and I notice higher turnover on book holds so people are not just leaving them on their reader for the full 3 week period.
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The numbers are a standard thing for any app/reader using Adobe's RMSDK (required for Adobe DRM support). Many have a setting to turn the numbers off/on, not sure if the 3M app does or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And in further explanation to what AnemicOak said, they represent "virtual" page numbers which are, roughly speaking, based on 1024 characters. I say roughly speaking because apparently it is technically more complex than this due to compression and other factors. Those numbers will be in the same place on any given reader (although apparently they can vary slightly between brands due to factors mentioned above) so even at different font sizes you can find the same point. It is also why on some readers depending on font size you may change several screen pages before the page number if displayed at the bottom of a page changes. Some readers may use the number of screen pages as the page number but increasing or decreasing the font size changes the number of pages and what page number a passage may appear on.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And in further explanation to what AnemicOak said, they represent "virtual" page numbers which are, roughly speaking, based on 1024 characters.
Thanks for the responses.

That's interesting. I am curious why they are displayed at all. It seems like scaffolding remaining after a building is finished.

But it is just idle curiosity. The numbers are always at the end of a display line and are not bothersome.
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just something that ADE has always done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbob View Post
That's interesting. I am curious why they are displayed at all. It seems like scaffolding remaining after a building is finished.
Probably because a "page" can (and often does) start/finish somewhere other than the bottom of the screen it's displayed on. The number on the side of the line let's you know where the "page" actually starts. As most readers do give you the option to turn off the numbers but not all, there also are likely some that don't give you page number at top or bottom of a screen so you'd have no way of knowing what page you were on.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Probably nothing you can do about it in a library book, but if you own the book, and have "Alf-ed" it, you can run it through Calibre and adjust the right margin so they don't interfere with text on the right margin.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
And in further explanation to what AnemicOak said, they represent "virtual" page numbers which are, roughly speaking, based on 1024 characters. I say roughly speaking because apparently it is technically more complex than this due to compression and other factors. Those numbers will be in the same place on any given reader (although apparently they can vary slightly between brands due to factors mentioned above) so even at different font sizes you can find the same point. It is also why on some readers depending on font size you may change several screen pages before the page number if displayed at the bottom of a page changes. Some readers may use the number of screen pages as the page number but increasing or decreasing the font size changes the number of pages and what page number a passage may appear on.
Read about it in our Wiki: Adobe_Digital_Editions#Page_numbers
I don't believe compression would mess around with the offsets, and I don't know what other factors you refer to.

Usually Adobe page numbers are held up as a paragon of consistency.

Quote:
Probably because a "page" can (and often does) start/finish somewhere other than the bottom of the screen it's displayed on. The number on the side of the line let's you know where the "page" actually starts. As most readers do give you the option to turn off the numbers but not all, there also are likely some that don't give you page number at top or bottom of a screen so you'd have no way of knowing what page you were on.
What is a page, anyway?
I always know exactly where I am in a book, but not-really-page-numbers if anything merely muddy the waters.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
robko
Wizard

I just seem to remember various threads arguing over whether it was really 1024 characters per "page" or whether that varied depending on the compression and how many bytes are something. I personally would have just said 1024 and it would be close enough, but I know that statement has been disputed by people that seemed to know a whole lot more about it than me.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, maybe the exact algorithm is more complicated than just "1024 character"... but the algorithm itself is predictable.

I just don't think they will vary between brands.

I could be wrong, I don't own a device that uses ADE page numbers and if I did I would demand the right to turn them off entirely.
But that is my take.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library ebooks