Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
joebewan
joebewan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Paperwhite 4 or refurbished Voyage?

I recently bought a refubished Voyage for $95 on a flash sale. When it arrived, the haptic feedback feature didn"t work, so Amazon approved a return. This was just before the newest paperwhite was announced. I don't really care for the page turn buttons, sometimes even on lowest setting, I have to press three or four times to turn the page. I could turn off the buttons and just use it like a regular Kindle. Just wondering if it might still be worth keeping it? I don't need the bluetooth or waterproofing features of the newest kindle.I have a paperwhite 2 and really like the screen on the Voyage!
joebewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Well a new PW4 doesn't have the dodgy history of a refurbished unit whose haptic feedback doesn't work, has twice the storage, and you don't care about buttons,

The Voyage might have a better lit screen because of more LEDs. It is also unknown yet whether LEDs at the top are better or worse.

Maybe the buttons didn't work well for you because of the same thing that broke the feedback. Have you tried a known good Voyage?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
joebewan
joebewan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I haven't had a chance to try a different Voyage, but will return this one and get the new Paperwhite. More storage and no uncertain history, as you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback!
joebewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #4
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
If I buy a certified refurbished Voyage from Amazon does that mean it will have a new battery and a undamaged screen? I don't know to what extent they actually mean refurbished.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Refurbished devices are certainly inspected to ensure they are in good condition. I don't know whether or not they replace the battery. Given the fact that the battery is firmly glued in on many Kindle models, I suspect not. People here on MR generally seem to have had very positive experiences with refurbished Kindles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I was only asking because the Voyage is a few years old, so I was wondering whether a refurbished model's battery would perform slightly worse given it's obviously not new? How much of a difference should I expect?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Voyage was released several years ago, certainly, but it was sold - and presumably still manufactured - up to a few months ago. I'm sure that the devices sold as refurbs won't be years old. They're more than likely ones which have been returned by purchasers under Amazon's "no quibble" return period.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
Waylander
Fanatic

Ah ok. That's what I was hoping might be what happened. In that case, If I get a Voyage refurb the battery should be ok.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was getting a Kindle, I'd go with the PW4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I was getting a Kindle, I'd go with the PW4.
Because it's newer? The Voyage is really a much higher end device. And they can still be bought new if you want to pay the extra $20 for no ads. (Bottom on the list, new from Amazon.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...y_technology=0
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite 3 and I much prefer the Paperwhite. I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the Voyage but the flush screen makes it a lot easier to accidentally change pages if I don't force myself to hold it carefully, a mistake I make fairly often.

That doesn't happen much with the Paperwhite and it's my preferred device.

I have mixed feelings about getting the new Paperwhite 4 because it will also have a flush screen. It's not that I can't live with that. It's just a minor issue but it is inconvenient.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Personally I far prefer flush screens. So much easier to keep clean.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I agree the flush screen is the only way for me anymore.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I far prefer flush screens. So much easier to keep clean.
I worry, probably wrongly, as follows,:
With a non flush screen I can lay the device face down and will never scratch the screen as ithere will be an air gap between screen and what it is resting on. But if I lay a flush screen down on a hard surface, I could accidentally scratch it.

I am happy to be persuaded that I have that all wrong
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Voyage has superb lighting compared to the Paperwhite3. Bought a second Voyage a few weeks ago since they appear to be closing out on them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote