Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
abradaxis
Enthusiast
abradaxis began at the beginning.

Device: amazon
Problems Emailing to Kindle

I hope I am in the correct Forum. I have been successfully using Calibre for two years now, and find it a great program. However, my pc blew up recently, and now I'm forced to reinstall Calibre and reconfigure it. I managed the correct setup to convert epubs to Mobis and doing the conversions, but I can no longer send my books by email to my Kindle. I'm setting up Calibre to do the emailing, but the instructions in the Calibre manual instruct me to use GMX as my initiating email address which Amazon will recognize when it is set up in my Amazon account. But Calibre no longer has a GMX button to use to set up the email feature; there is only gmail and Hotmail. I tried to use gmail, but the transfer died and never finished. What do I use to get my transfers to use GMX please? I no longer remember which parameters go where in the setup process, and what the test email should show me. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
abradaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I've never sent books from Calibre to Kindle, but in my version of Calibre, under Preferences, then "Sharing books by email," the first icon on the right says "use GMX."

Once you've got Calibre set up the way you want it again, I would seriously consider Exporting all Calibre data to a thumb drive (it's in the drop down under the Library icon). I've used that and moved Calibre data from my Linux to a Windows computer and it kept all plugins, books and settings.

BTW, there are also Calibre forums here, where you get excellent and fast help for Calibre issues.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
abradaxis
Enthusiast

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm using a version of Calibre which is, at most, about two months old. I used to use GMX, but it is no longer one of the options on the right, as I mentioned in my initial post. As for using a thumb drive, once the books get converted, I have no problem porting them over in the MOBI format to my Kindle by using the Windows file manager; you don't even need a thumb drive. But in my previous life, before I lost my Calibre configuration, I was able to send the books over to my Kindle by email via Amazon. I would still like that option if I can get it back again. By the way, you can't use Gmail to email books through Calibre, since as soon as Gmail sees the mail coming from Calibre, it spits it out as a non Google app, and notifies you that your account may be hacked. So much for Gmail.

I will try to repost this under a Calibre Forum.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depending on the size of your display, you might have to click the little double right arrows on the right side of your icon section to open up more options. You should also be able to hit Control+P to open the Preferences Window. If you do that you'll see the "Sharing books by email" icon under the "Sharing" subsection. Just click on that and you'll have the GMX setup options.

The Export option is not just for saving books, it also saves your plugins and your Calibre settings when you use it to Restore.

EDIT: I've added an image to show what the setup for "Sharing books by email" should look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	302
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	166975  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-17-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
abradaxis
Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion, but I have no problems getting to the preference page. However, as I mentioned, GMX is not an option. Please see my doc included. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me knows.
Attached Files
File Type: docx EmailChoices.docx (187.4 KB, 178 views)
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by abradaxis View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I have no problems getting to the preference page. However, as I mentioned, GMX is not an option. Please see my doc included. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me knows.
That doc shows that you are using a calibre version that is many years old! The newer versions are 3.x, not 1.x!
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That doc shows that you are using a calibre version that is many years old! The newer versions are 3.x, not 1.x!
Perhaps he is still running Windows XP?

Just remember to allow SMTP/POP from the GMX account setup page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I apologize for missing the point. I'll bow out now. But I do think I'll try setting this up in Calibre for my own use.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
abradaxis
Enthusiast

Yes, I am using the version of Calibre suggested for XP, which I am also using. Is GMX not allowed in my version of Calibre? Should I try Gmail? I did try Gmail at one point, and Gmail refused to accept any mail, saying that the mail was from a non Google App. So, if you can offer me some guidance in what I am supposed to put into each of the setup fields, and what I have to do with the mail server to make it acceptable to receiving mail from Calibre, I would really appreciate it. And thank you to rcentros for sharing and trying to help.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You’re much more likely to get help if you ask in the Calibre forum. Would you like the thread to be moved there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
abradaxis
Enthusiast

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, please move the thread to that Forum. I asked initially where the best place was to post this, but perhaps I didn't get a reply to that question, since I've been pursuing it here, which is probably the wrong place.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre "Devices" forum. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email to kindle