Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #16
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have both....but the Oasis 2 has completely replaced my Voyage. I love the extra screen space. When I ordered, I worried that I'd find the asymmetrical design annoying, but I don't notice it and just switch hands without thinking.

And I always thought the Origami cover for Voyage made it too heavy.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I have both....but the Oasis 2 has completely replaced my Voyage. I love the extra screen space. When I ordered, I worried that I'd find the asymmetrical design annoying, but I don't notice it and just switch hands without thinking.
Completely agree - I use the Oasis 2 exclusively now at home, and keep my Voyage to carry along on appointments.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Several posts above say that the Voyage is brighter than the Oasis, which does not match my memory. (I am also not sure what that even means. Since they each have 25 settings, I suppose that the setting should be the same on each.) The Oasis light is completely off at 0 and the Voyage is not, so technically the Voyage is brighter at 0.

Last year, I posted side by side pictures at 11 levels from 0 through 24 at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
For levels 1 through 9, the Oasis is significantly brighter than the Voyage and level 1 on the Oasis may be too bright in total darkness for some people (I use 3 or 4 myself on the Oasis and 6 or 7 on the Voyage in total darkness, some people have complained that level 1 on the Oasis is too bright for them in total darkness).

Levels 12, 15, 18, and 21 are slightly brighter on the Voyage, but 24 is brighter on the Oasis. So the Oasis can be set brighter and darker than the Voyage and therefore has a greater brightness range. But the Voyage has finer adjustment at the darkest settings.

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-19-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: fix url
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I traded my voyage and my PW2 to help me pay for my Oasis 2 and I am so glad I did. The Oasis has a better srcreen then the PW2 and the Oasis has better front lighting than the yoyage. Most of all I love the larger screen in the Oasis2.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #20
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Several posts above say that the Voyage is brighter than the Oasis, which does not match my memory. (I am also not sure what that even means. Since they each have 25 settings, I suppose that the setting should be the same on each.) The Oasis light is completely off at 0 and the Voyage is not, so technically the Voyage is brighter at 0.

Last year, I posted side by side pictures at 11 levels from 0 through 24 at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
For levels 1 through 9, the Oasis is significantly brighter than the Voyage and level 1 on the Oasis may be too bright in total darkness for some people (I use 3 or 4 myself on the Oasis and 6 or 7 on the Voyage in total darkness, some people have complained that level 1 on the Oasis is too bright for them in total darkness).

Levels 12, 15, 18, and 21 are slightly brighter on the Voyage, but 24 is brighter on the Oasis. So the Oasis can be set brighter and darker than the Voyage and therefore has a greater brightness range. But the Voyage has finer adjustment at the darkest settings.
Yes light levels on 1-9 are the lowest light levels so your using less battery power. Those of us who can't read under say level 10 are the ones who are using 11 or higher. Those are the same levels the Voyage is brighter right ? So it's true on those levels the voyage is brighter than the oasis 2. I've never had the oasis 1 so can't comment on that one. I don't know about level 24, I've never read on the brightest setting.

Everyone knows reading on the lowest light levels on the Oasis 2 will significantly add to battery life. The flip side is 10 and above using much more power and significantly decreases the battery life.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Yes light levels on 1-9 are the lowest light levels so your using less battery power. Those of us who can't read under say level 10 are the ones who are using 11 or higher. Those are the same levels the Voyage is brighter right ? So it's true on those levels the voyage is brighter than the oasis 2. I've never had the oasis 1 so can't comment on that one. I don't know about level 24, I've never read on the brightest setting.

Everyone knows reading on the lowest light levels on the Oasis 2 will significantly add to battery life. The flip side is 10 and above using much more power and significantly decreases the battery life.
Thank you for the clarification, it raises some good points for people trying to decide between the tow and people with a Voyage considering a 7" Oasis, but it is not really about which one is brighter. The Oasis can match or exceed the brightness of the Voyage. And yes, for people that read at 11, the Voyage is brighter than the Oasis and that is also when the power to light starts ramping up, but I don't think that is conveyed by saying that the Voyage is brighter than the Oasis.

The light color on the Oasis is less blue. That is an attraction for people trying to get away from blue light, but it might also make the Voyage seem brighter. But one thing people considering the 7" Oasis need to understand is that even though its screen has 36% more area and it takes more power to light up, the Voyage has a 25% larger battery. So by comparison, the Oasis battery can drain much faster than the Voyage battery under the same conditions. Also, with automatic brightness enabled, in office lighting or outside in the shade on a sunny day, the Oasis brightness can shoot up to 22. So people considering the 7" Oasis that like to have the light whiten the screen need to be aware that the battery might run down surprisingly quickly.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I traded my voyage and my PW2 to help me pay for my Oasis 2 and I am so glad I did. The Oasis has a better srcreen then the PW2 and the Oasis has better front lighting than the yoyage. Most of all I love the larger screen in the Oasis2.
I still use my Voyage when I want to be able to put the reader in a jacket or jeans pocket. When I do I definitely love the slightly more sharp and contrasty screen. In general, however, I use by Voyage 2 32gig.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I'd like to add that I find that I like changing the Voyage between hands quite a bit more. The Voyage origami cover is also my favorite Kindle cover ever, partly because it is equally easy to open with either hand. The only downside for me of the Voyage/origami cover combination is that if the Voyage goes to sleep in the open cover, I have to fiddle with the cover to get at the power button. It is just an annoyance to me and nowhere near a deal breaker for me.

(I know others hate the cover, but I like it a lot.)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Completely agree - I use the Oasis 2 exclusively now at home, and keep my Voyage to carry along on appointments.
That's what i do too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankapoor View Post
I currently own the Paperwhite 3 and am trying out an Oasis 2. The main thing I like about the Oasis 2 is its screen quality. The lightning is so much more even and slightly less blue. Despite both being 300 ppi, the Oasis 2 text looks less blurry, I'm guessing due to the glass screen versus the plastic screen on the Paperwhite 3.

Anyway, I see the new Paperwhite will have a flush screen that some articles today say is glass. This had me wondering if this will make it look as nice as the Oasis screen. I then realized that the Voyage also has the flush screen and may serve as a good example of what we can expect the Paperwhite 4 screen to look like. So is there anyone who owns both the Voyage and the Oasis and can comment on how close the Voyage come to the Oasis in screen quality?https://dltutuapp.com/ https://9apps.ooo/https://showbox.software/
I owned both and I like the voyage screen better as far as light and clarity is concerned and the oasis is a battery killer. But on the voyage it was all to easy to accidentally turn pages. It is good for someone with small hands but big handed person will feel better with oasis
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #26
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Voyage was my first Kindle. I loved it unless I was reading in bed. Never could get a good grip on it laying on my side. The Oasis and Oasis II are the only choice for somebody who likes to read one handed. The grip and the buttons make the reading experience much nicer. The screen quality is very close.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
The Voyage was my first Kindle. I loved it unless I was reading in bed. Never could get a good grip on it laying on my side.
I let one edge rest on the bed and keep my thumb over the page turn sensor and my forefinger on the back. That works great for me.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have both, and I compared them closely yesterday. I felt text sharpness was equal, but I thought the Voyage offered a hair more contrast.

Of the two, I prefer the larger screen of the Oasis 2 and also appreciate the fact that the lighting on the Oasis 2 is less blue and more natural. My Voyage is probably bound for eBay eventually. Love the Voyage form factor, but my eyes really appreciate a larger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #29
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
I have both; I managed to leave my Voyage behind on the train in September and I bought a refurbished replacement. I also bought an Oasis and I do like the larger screen, especially as I am a quick reader. It is less comfortable to hold, though, and I prefer the page press to its buttons.

I am using the Oasis more and finding the battery life poor; last week I was off work sick and read for extended periods and the battery was getting low by the evening. I find Amazon's marketing misleading; it says the battery provides weeks of reading (with the light set to 11 and reading for 1/2 hour a day). I'm sure a large proportion of its customers will be reading for more than 1/2 and hour daily and when set to 11, my screen is very grey which definitely doesn't provide a like for like book experience.

The Oasis also seems to hang for quite a time when, for instance, I'm adding to a collection. I wonder if subsequent versions will get a more powerful battery?
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #30
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I got rid of both my Voyage and my Oasis 2. I didn't like the size and weight of the Voyage but the real reason I got rid of the Voyage was the inability to find a decent cover. I tried six and gave up. The Origami cover was, in my opinion, silly and worthless and the third--party cases were hard plastic and slippery.

I bought an Oasis 2 and a case from Amazon. Three-days later I got an email saying the cover would be delayed two months. Then I read the cover was never intended to protect the Oasis but was to "personalize" the device. I decided it was meant to be sold in California and returned it.

I love to read. I use the Paperwhite and have ordered a PW4 w/case.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote