Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You have to click SHOW to enable it. For me it selects Amazon Ember font with size 11 and boldness 4. Very large text.
That's just awful (IMHO). Ember is an awful font to read with as the main text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
eta: Oh dear. On my basic, cannot swipe past the home screen to go to my library. I have to actually use the drop down. That is a bug totally. Its actually the same on the Oasis, but on it I can use the buttons. But you cannot swipe past the home screen anymore.
I don't particularly like that either. Swiping on the Home page now just scrolls down or up, depending on direction. Still have the old way of doing it on my Touches.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't particularly like that either. Swiping on the Home page now just scrolls down or up, depending on direction. Still have the old way of doing it on my Touches.
It is a regression, Amazon should fix it (assuming enough of us contact them and complain). That said, I don’t find the new Home Screen View any more compelling than the previous design. I have turned it off.

It is now an extra tap to bring up X-ray also. Not sure why, there’s room for a tappable icon at least.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #49
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Where do you find x-ray now?

I looked at the new "home" page briefly and went back to the old one.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Where do you find x-ray now?
Tap to bring up reading options
Tap menu icon
X-RAY is one of the menu options
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is a regression, Amazon should fix it (assuming enough of us contact them and complain). That said, I don’t find the new Home Screen View any more compelling than the previous design. I have turned it off.
I forgot I could turn it off. Now the "swipe" is back. Thanks!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #52
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Tap to bring up reading options
Tap menu icon
X-RAY is one of the menu options
Not on my PW3. I went to the Paperwhite User Guide and searched for x-ray and xray and got nothing.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is now an extra tap to bring up X-ray also. Not sure why, there’s room for a tappable icon at least.
I think the reason they moved X-ray is that in languages with longer words, there is not enough space. I turned on Russian UI and the translated terms are nearly twice as long, and probably about the same in German. I think they could have dispensed with the text labels and gone with more compact icons instead. ‘Aa’ really means the same thing always has so except for people new to Kindle the purpose is clear - no need to add ‘PAGE DISPLAY’. Oh well.

I like seeing the battery %.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I like seeing the battery %.
I've found the battery % on the 7" Oasis very useful, but it reduces the number of books shown in list view.

Older firmwares on 6" screen show 8 books in list view, or with special offers, 7 books. How many books are shown under 5.10.1.1 in list view?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #55
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Has anyone run into any PROBLEMS introduced by this upgrade?

I don't see much in the way of must-have new features for the way I use my PaperWhite, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Showing battery percentage is better than not showing it, but it's still a minor thing for me. "Performance improvements", whatever those turn out to be would be good. Themes don't fit into how I use my Kindle, since I rarely change settings. Maybe turn on the light on occasion. Maybe increase the font size if my eyes are tired. But those changes are simple, and rare for me. However Amazon lets you accomplish these things - via themes, extra clicks to go through menus, etc. - I don't really care since I change things so infrequently.

While there's no hurry to upgrade for me, there's also no reason NOT to, unless new problems were introduced. I haven't seen any problems reported here yet. I don't have any issues with my PaperWhite now. The thing USED TO lock up semi-regularly on many different books, but that problem appears to have fixed itself now. NOT due to any firmware upgrade - it just randomly fixed itself somehow (???). I certainly wouldn't want to jinx things by upgrading the firmware prematurely and bring this lock-up problem back.

FWIW, I don't even remember what the PaperWhites Home Page looks like - I never use it. My PaperWhite is permanently in Airplane Mode. All my books are sideloaded via Calibre, and I only keep a dozen or so (max) on the PaperWhite at any given time, more than that makes it painful to navigate and pick your next book. I do that picking from my library of books in Calibre, which is much better suited for browsing a large collection, and just sideload a small batch of "possible next books" onto the PaperWhite. This leaves my PaperWhites memory 99% free and unused.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I've found the battery % on the 7" Oasis very useful, but it reduces the number of books shown in list view.

Older firmwares on 6" screen show 8 books in list view, or with special offers, 7 books. How many books are shown under 5.10.1.1 in list view?

It is weird that it reduces number of books on a list view page on 7” Oasis. How did they manage to do that? On 6” the status bar is exactly the same height, there’s just this additional thing in it.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #57
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

It is weird that it reduces number of books on a list view page on 7” Oasis. How did they manage to do that? On 6” the status bar is exactly the same height, there’s just this additional thing in it.
Thanks!

On the 7" Oasis, the battery % is only shown if an enlarged UI is selected as an accessibility option. It is probably a magnified version of the 5.10.1.1 UI. Maybe the book listings are also enlarged.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #58
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
While there's no hurry to upgrade for me, there's also no reason NOT to, unless new problems were introduced. I haven't seen any problems reported here yet. I don't have any issues with my PaperWhite now. The thing USED TO lock up semi-regularly on many different books, but that problem appears to have fixed itself now. NOT due to any firmware upgrade - it just randomly fixed itself somehow (???). I certainly wouldn't want to jinx things by upgrading the firmware prematurely and bring this lock-up problem back.
Personally, trying to shove more book recommendations on me are a "problem". I'm really hating what they've done to the Amazon Music and Audible apps. They no longer go back to where you left off. It always wants to start on the home page, trying to talk me into buying more music/books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #59
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Can you set theme presets for custom fonts? That feature could be super useful for fonts with different line spacing, if so.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Can you set theme presets for custom fonts? That feature could be super useful for fonts with different line spacing, if so.
Yes, that works.