Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
What a disaster from a marketing standpoint would that be, to have photos out in the wild of orange-ish displays on a device named Paperwhite.
Maybe they should release the kindle old paperback edition, yellowish lights/screen, random dog eared/stain graphics, musty smell.
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Good and bad for me:

GOOD
Flush screen
Nice-looking leather cover

BAD
6-inch screen
Plastic screen (probably)
Micro-USB
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #18
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sounds an awful lot like the Voyage, minus haptic buttons and glass screen, as this one is plastic. And it being waterproof of course.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #19
Bryanhoop
Bryanhoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, Amazon is currently running a 25% discount with trade-in promo (regardless of Kindle condition).
Link?
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanhoop View Post
Link?
It's on the product page for the new Kindle above Customize & Add to cart (Upgrade and save with Trade-In).

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-...de=10825010011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Trade-In promo.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	166962  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As much as I'd like a new toy, I'm sticking with my Voyage. It is slightly thinner and lighter, has an extra LED and a glass screen that gives better contrast and clarity. And then there is that Origami cover that allows me to read while eating. Waterproofing doesn't affect me as I don't read at the beach or in the bathtub.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I decided to see what I'd get if I trade in my Paperwhite 3. My new order was:

Paperwhite 4 - wifi only - no special offers - 8GB
Black leather case

Order Summary

Items (2): $189.98
Shipping & handling: $0.00
Kindle Trade-in: -$37.50
Courtesy Credit: -$15.00
Total before tax: $137.48
Estimated tax to be collected: $12.51
Total: $149.99
Gift Card: -$25.00
Order total: $124.99

The gift card is the $25 for trading in the pw3 and the kindle trade-in is the 25 percent off for the trade-in.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I get the "options are good" argument. Fine. I just disagree from a design standpoint that a book-reading device should have a setting to "fix" the display color. How about we just get that color right to begin with? (The creamy/warmer white that most seem to agree is the most pleasant.)
Because not everyone is the same. The "right" color for one person may not be the "right" color for someone else. Choice is good.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
Sounds an awful lot like the Voyage, minus haptic buttons and glass screen, as this one is plastic. And it being waterproof of course.
Plastic screen? That's an important difference. Just out curiosity ... does anyone know if the Kobo Aura (and Tolino Vision) have plastic or glass screens? I'm trying to figure out how well the plastic screen would hold up — and whether it would be as clear as a glass one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Because not everyone is the same. The "right" color for one person may not be the "right" color for someone else. Choice is good.
The paper book years must have been rough for those folks who aren't satisfied with black text and papery white backgrounds. I'm sure Amazon is glad to let those people find another device. The Paperwhite is getting really close to successfully mimicking the warm, natural world of print; the people who want unnatural orange screens can go someplace else.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The paper book years must have been rough for those folks who aren't satisfied with black text and papery white backgrounds. I'm sure Amazon is glad to let those people find another device. The Paperwhite is getting really close to successfully mimicking the warm, natural world of print; the people who want unnatural orange screens can go someplace else.
The cheap, used paperbacks I've bought usually have yellowish to brownish pages.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #27
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
The cheap, used paperbacks I've bought usually have yellowish to brownish pages.
True, I'd rather use devices that imitate new books...
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
It's on the product page for the new Kindle above Customize & Add to cart (Upgrade and save with Trade-In).

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-...de=10825010011
I wish Amazon UK offered a trade in.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm excited. I know not everyone needed Waterproofing but I'm a huge bathtub reader so this will suit me perfectly. I wanted color light to see what everyone is talking about, but I've never used it before or had issues with the Paperwhite and reading on it, so it's not a do or die feature for me.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm excited. I know not everyone needed Waterproofing but I'm a huge bathtub reader so this will suit me perfectly. I wanted color light to see what everyone is talking about, but I've never used it before or had issues with the Paperwhite and reading on it, so it's not a do or die feature for me.
Lol, same. I find it relaxing reading in the bathtub or by the pool/beach. Yeah, the light isn't do or die for me, either. While I would prefer a warmer tone (I've always used sepia mode on my LCD-based devices), I'd still happily upgrade for waterproofing and 32GB storage.

My only gripe is I'd lose my jailbreak ergo the ability to manage collections with Calibre. Not a big deal for manga or Kindle-purchased books but it looks like my sideloaded fanfics will have to remain on one of my other PW3s.