Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
It would explain why they would be holding it in China. If they are just going to be adding bluetooth, a better processor, and more memory to the Paperwhite and/or a better screen for the basic Kindle, there isn't much point to having an event here.
I would like an E-Carta screen on the Kindle Basic. I would probably buy one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #62
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Perhaps the feathers in the linked image are a hint that the new Paperwhite will be 'light as a feather', i.e. it might have the new Mobius type of plastic substrate screen in a 6" version rather than the Kobo Forma's 8" version???

[Just in case it needs saying, this is only a WAG. I have no inside knowledge ]
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #63
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
I would love to see a new PW: I have a Voyage which I love, as I did not care for the contrast either on the Oasis 1 or 2 (or the form factor or battery life); I also have an old kindle keyboard in perfect shape (and surprisingly better than the oasis with its built in speaker and unbeatable battery life), but due to form factor it is the voyage that I keep with me in my pocket; just love having my library in my pocket, so I hope the new PW keeps the price fair, keeps the size, maybe waterproofs, and only updates to audible compatibility if we can read along with the book (otherwise no).
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #64
SpencerT
SpencerT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Internal GPS
SpencerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #65
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
We looking at a Wednesday reveal in the U.S. also? Prolly just throw it on the Amazon homepage sometime after the China event?
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #66
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurianLegends View Post
just love having my library in my pocket, so I hope the new PW keeps the price fair, keeps the size, maybe waterproofs, and only updates to audible compatibility if we can read along with the book (otherwise no).
Quoted for truth, we can only hope.

I'm guessing with the Voyage they just are mainly getting rid of it but not replacing it? They may have downsized to the lower end and the higher end due to sales and e-readers losing some of their novelty ;/
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #67
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
I read some comments about the big top bezel size of the device in the Chinese advertisement. I bet it's not the real new device under that shroud. They just knocked up some concept artwork for a "reveal" event, using a Kindle they had already. Looks about like an existing Paperwhite.

If Amazon really wants to keep a lid on the design of the device, they may not want to be showing it off to your a Photoshop jockey in China. Leaks are incredibly hard to prevent if you're flashing the device around like that.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #68
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

It's a new Kindle.
That isn't China exclusive? If it isn't this seems... unusual, but whatever.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
We looking at a Wednesday reveal in the U.S. also? Prolly just throw it on the Amazon homepage sometime after the China event?
Tuesday in the US.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #70
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Tuesday in the US.
Nice. Thanks Nate.
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #71
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps the feathers in the linked image are a hint that the new Paperwhite will be 'light as a feather', i.e. it might have the new Mobius type of plastic substrate screen in a 6" version rather than the Kobo Forma's 8" version???

The Paperwhite is one of the heaviest 6" readers (205grams), because of its bulky and ancient design. So it does not necessarily need a new screen technology to reduce weight.

The competition uses the same Carta display as the Paperwhite, but manages to be much lighter. The Kobo Clara HD is 166 grams, the Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 and Touch HD3 are only 155 grams.

So even with the current display tech, the Paperwhite could shave off as much as 50 grams or almost 25% of its weight.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #72
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Tuesday in the US.
Wow, the exact day that preorders for the Kobo Forma go live!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #73
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Wow, the exact day that preorders for the Kobo Forma go live!
Obviously a pure coincidence, I'm sure Amazon would not have wanted to stela the Forma's thunder like that if they'd known (curses the absence of flying pig emoji)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerT View Post
Internal GPS
On an ereader? Hmmm... I suppose if you were concentrating on your reading and got completely lost.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 AM   #75
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

The rumours of including Alexa were GREAT news for me. Despite having only got my Clara HD last week, if the new Kindle pushed all the right the buttons for me, I'd have been tempted to spend money I can't afford to get one. But Alexa is H*E*L*L* NO territory for me, along with every other smart home hub. I ike to be able to at least pretend there's a few minutes of the day when one of the tech megacorps isn't slurping my data, so any integratuion with something like Alexa, however limited, makes not buying it a no-brainer.