Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #46
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Fascinating. I had been noticing pretty pathetic battery life myself. After the initial indexing, I'd had to fully charge it from under 20% probably three times in the last two weeks. By the way, I'd owned the original Paperwhite and also the Voyage so I have a feel for how long it should last (I definitely noticed the Voyage needed to be charged more often and definitely definitely noticed the new Oasis needs it more often).

Firmware: 5.9.2
Wifi: Off always
Light: 11 (not automatic)
Font: Bookerly
Bold: 1
Size: 2
Indexing: Fully indexed
Cover: Amazon cloth cover

I would say about 8 hours of reading has been consistent with my observations. That being said, I did a test today where I read for an hour (didn't leave the book, no highlighting, probably about 80 page turns) and went from 24% to 20% battery. That should equate closer to 25 hours of battery life. But that definitely hasn't been my experience. I'll keep an eye on it, perhaps I'm draining in between reads or one possibility may be that the cover makes it turn on and off while carrying it in my pocket.
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #47
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Set the UI font size to “Large”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Go to settings-accessibility and use large there for display size.
I have always wanted to be able to change the font for the home screen library in list mode and the font in the experimental browser on my Voyage.

The only font controls on my Kindles (basic 2015 and Voyage 2016) control the fonts for books/docs or a separate one for pdf's, but not the UI, i.e. the library home screen in list mode.

Both Kindles are now on 5.8.11. I don't have an accessibility option in settings. Is this something exclusive to the new Oasis or firmware newer than 5.8.11? If it's a question of FW, can it be applied to the Voyage?

One of the only complaints about my Voyage is that the fonts for the experimental browser and library list are too light. Even the Basic has a bolder UI font. I actually read articles in the exp. browser and if I use article mode, the font weight is excellent, but article mode only guesses at what text it should display or ignore and often truncates real content. Most articles in "web mode" are unreadable on the Voyage and borderline readable on the Basic. Being able to change these fonts would be major.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #48
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Atunah,
I did the test using your settings (bold 3, brightness 10, WiFi off, font#4).
After 209 minutes of reading, my Oasis is at 90% battery life, a stunning improvement. That extrapolates to 34.83 hours battery life, exponentially better than the 7.4 hrs to date, and exceeding Amazon’s specs (42 days, half hour a day, brightness 10, wireless and Bluetooth off). .
I am going to go out on a limb and assume brightness level was probably the major source of battery drain. Hopefully it wasn’t the 4 pt font!
So I will keep the Oasis. My big concern was having to carry a charger on weeklong trips.
Now I can safely leave the charger home, as long as I keep the brightness down.
Cheers, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #49
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Atunah,
I did the test using your settings (bold 3, brightness 10, WiFi off, font#4).
After 209 minutes of reading, my Oasis is at 90% battery life, a stunning improvement. That extrapolates to 34.83 hours battery life, exponentially better than the 7.4 hrs to date, and exceeding Amazon’s specs (42 days, half hour a day, brightness 10, wireless and Bluetooth off). .
I am going to go out on a limb and assume brightness level was probably the major source of battery drain. Hopefully it wasn’t the 4 pt font!
So I will keep the Oasis. My big concern was having to carry a charger on weeklong trips.
Now I can safely leave the charger home, as long as I keep the brightness down.
Cheers, Joe
Very interesting. Thanks for all the testing, now I know bolding has no effect on it at all. I guess I just thought. I think you are right, the light is the big powerhog, next to bluetooth and wifi of course.
Of course its important if the light setting works for one. If I read outside, which I haven't done yet with my Oasis, I can probably turn off the light all together as I don't see it anyway on sunny days.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If I read outside, which I haven't done yet with my Oasis, I can probably turn off the light all together as I don't see it anyway on sunny days.
If you use the automatic light sensor, when the ambient light reaches a certain level, it'll turn the frontlight off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #51
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you use the automatic light sensor, when the ambient light reaches a certain level, it'll turn the frontlight off.
I hadn't noticed that when I used it. Didn't turn it off outside. Opposite, it goes up higher the brighter the light goes. But I didn't hold it in the sun or anything, couldn't read like that in any case.

But I can't use it anymore. It constantly goes up and down as I shift while reading leaning towards and then away from a lamp. I just got tired constantly adjusting it. And 10 works all day for me, inside that is and I go to 8 in bed. If I ever sit outside, I'll just turn it off.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hadn't noticed that when I used it. Didn't turn it off outside. Opposite, it goes up higher the brighter the light goes.
It does, but when the light gets so bright that the frontlight can't "compete", it'll turn off. At least that's what the Voyage does, and I've no reason to suppose that the Oasis will behave differently. Unfortunately at this time of year in Britain I can't test that!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #53
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
It does, but when the light gets so bright that the frontlight can't "compete", it'll turn off. At least that's what the Voyage does, and I've no reason to suppose that the Oasis will behave differently. Unfortunately at this time of year in Britain I can't test that!
I guess I could test it. Its been unseasonably hot here recently. Sunny always. But that also means that if it does't turn off, if you stay just below with auto, it will use a lot of battery staying at high levels like 18 or above.

I held my Oasis, and Voyage up to bright light bulbs before, to teach it my levels and it just goes up to like 18 until I put the breaks on. Haven't seen it go all the way. But the constant training drives me nuts and mostly its the shifting when the light source falls differently on the screen. Even if its just one level, it goes up and down and up and down.

I guess I am a fidgety reader.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I just tried with an Oasis 2. I could get it to go as high as 18, but once it was in sunlight, it would instantly turn the frontlight off.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I just tried with an Oasis 2. I could get it to go as high as 18, but once it was in sunlight, it would instantly turn the frontlight off.
Thanks for confirming that; as I say, there no way to test it in British winter sunshine, but I was pretty sure that's what it would do .
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #56
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I had not been aware that the voyage does this and did not have it with me yesterday. I tried it out today, and it does behave a little differently compared to the Oasis 2. The Voyage brightens as light increases util it is in sunlight, when it goes dimmer in several steps before stopping at 0. these steps are shown in the brightness setting box if it is open. The Oasis 2 goes directly to 0 when exposed to sunlight.

I tried a 200 lumen LED on the voyage last night, but that was too borderline to get reliably repeatable behavior.

One other minor difference was the Oasis 2 turns its light back on as soon as it enters a shadow. I had to close the cover on the voyage or take it indoors to get its light back on.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #57
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
There is little doubt in my mind that this Kindle has the poorest battery life of any e-ink Kindle I have had - while being in every other respect the very best e-ink Kindle I have ever had.

I am getting about 3 days battery life, and that is with WiFi turned off (if I need to turn it on to download a book I turn it off again straight away), light setting on 11-13 depending on the ambient conditions and, while I read a lot, I'm not reading any more than I was with previous Kindles. I charged it fully overnight on Thursday. It took ages to go down to 99% which looked very good. By the end of Friday it was down to 73%, by the end of Saturday down to 35%. During Saturday I had the WiFi on for perhaps 3-4 minutes (at home next to my router with a stable connection).

I've decided the best thing is to stop obsessing about the battery so I've switched off the % indicator by going back to regular size for menu fonts. The device is, after all, for reading and, as I say, in every other respect this is the best Kindle I have ever used.
This time round I've managed to get all but 5 days out of it, with the light at 10 since mid-week and WiFi still on only when needed for downloading or exporting notes. That's more acceptable. And with the battery percentage off, I've been worrying about it much less.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Light level does seem to be key to battery life. I turned the light off yesterday when I was reading in a well-lit room, and the battery level only decreased by 4% in 2.5 hours' reading.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #59
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Light level does seem to be key to battery life. I turned the light off yesterday when I was reading in a well-lit room, and the battery level only decreased by 4% in 2.5 hours' reading.
I did that too the other day. As long as I am next to a window and its brighter out, its fine.

What I found interesting was that when I set bold at #2, use the caecelia font and turn the light off, I can compare it to my K3 and my black basic with buttons and it looks almost the same. The basic buttons to me always had the best contrast of any kindle I ever owned. Dark thick fonts, just great. Just no light. Now with the bold option, I can re-create that page on the Oasis. Bold 2 is about the same, but I go to bold #3 and its even better. The backround on the Oasis is a tad lighter than the basic so that also helps.

So during daytime near a light source, window or lamp, I have been able to read without the light, or just barely on.

So not just for battery life, I actually like reading like I used to on the basic/k3. Just that my eyes are worse now so when it does get dreary and darker, I do have to go to #8 on the light.

The Oasis2 charges so incredibly fast though that it doesn't really bother me. I can eat dinner and its done charging. Or any other chore. I wish my phone charged that fast.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So during daytime near a light source, window or lamp, I have been able to read without the light, or just barely on.

So not just for battery life, I actually like reading like I used to on the basic/k3. Just that my eyes are worse now so when it does get dreary and darker, I do have to go to #8 on the light.

The Oasis2 charges so incredibly fast though that it doesn't really bother me. I can eat dinner and its done charging. Or any other chore. I wish my phone charged that fast.
Yes, I agree with all that. My iPad (which is the other device I use every day) I recharge maybe once every three days, and it takes a good 3-4h to charge. The Oasis charges from 20% in well under an hour. The "Bold" setting really does make a tremendous improvement to readability.

Tags
battery life, koa2