Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #15406
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm floundering after reading 11/22/63...

Tried a sample of Exodus by Uris... didn't catch my interest.

Now reading a sample of Atlas Shrugged to see what all the fuss is about.

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Atlas Shrugged is highly overrated.
On his blog, King Fuy Monkey, John Rogers wrote on March 19, 2009, "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #15407
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Atlas Shrugged is highly overrated.
*shrug*

I will say this upfront, I don't agree with Rand's ideology, at least what I see as a very rigid portrayal of what and who is right and wrong in this book.

Setting that aside, I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, despite what I consider serious flaws in plot, dialogue, and character development. Her prose has been described as dense and wooden, but I would even say that she is under-appreciated as a stylist because of her very visual descriptions of scenery.

I think Atlas Shrugged is worth reading at least once, to see what the fuss is about and be able to discuss it intelligently. I plan on reading it again.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #15408
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I finished the first book: The Eye of the World in the Wheel Of Time series and it will probably be the last book I read from this series.

It didn't appeal to me. I thought it had too many similarities with The Lord Of The Rings.
A bit too gloomy and I didn't find the characters involved interesting enough.
I intend to read that, although I heard many complaints
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #15409
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I intend to read that, although I heard many complaints
It seems to be two groups out there. Either you love it or you don't, I think I fall into the second category, my sister falls into the first, she was the one recommending it to me.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #15410
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Starfarers by Vondra N. McIntyre.
This was a bit of a slow start, but I warmed up to the story and some of the characters as it went along. I may well buy the omnibus of the four-book series at some point.

Next up: Farlight by Michael Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
(As opposed to pdurrant who lets 5 years pass before reading, I read all my latest buys. )
I bought this one in April 2005. I've just finished the first chapter, and I think I might have read it at the time. We'll see.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #15411
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
On his blog, King Fuy Monkey, John Rogers wrote on March 19, 2009, "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #15412
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just finished both Winter's Bone and The Silmarillion. Still working on The Law of Superheroes and started a quick re-read of My Ántonia.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #15413
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The way I understand it (which is often times barely at all), the fourth Dunk & Egg novella will be released "early this summer" in another of Martin's short story anthologies entitled (or themed?) Dangerous Women.
As I said... often times barely at all. It seems to be official now, that the new Dunk & Egg novella will not be a part of the Dangerous Women anthology.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #15414
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Finished The Gun Seller the other night and also read through Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #15415
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
OK next book is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It sounds really good.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #15416
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
OK next book is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It sounds really good.
It is an excellent book. I enjoyed every minute of it. The film adaptation was a bit of a letdown.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #15417
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Finished reading A Canticle for Liebowitz by George Miller over the weekend. I can see why it's considered a sci-fi classic. Very original and well written.

I'm currently reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's about the history of the American West from 1860-1890 from the Native American perspective. Very intriguing, well written, and rather depressing. But I'd recommend it, definitely.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #15418
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Finished reading Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. This was the first I've read by Tom Franklin, and I'm tempted to starting another book of his straight away, but I've already started A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold, so I think I'll read that, and then see what I feel like.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #15419
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
One of my favourite books. I don't know if I'll ever find the time required to read it again, but it placed Stephenson up there as one of my favourite authors.
Yes, it is quite something. Even when nothing much happens it's so beautifully written it keeps you spellbound.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #15420
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I read Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang by Emma Thompson. She shows some effective wit and by-and-large it's a fairly successful pre-teen book, though perhaps it could do with a little less of nudge, nudge, wink, wink authorial narration. And some strings are left a bit hanging at the end--something children will certainly notice.

Very interesting, too, is the diary which is more-or-less an entertaining "making of the film" . She alternates "Story" chapters with "Diary chapters so that the reader can simply skip the diary and read the entire narrative in sequence or vice-versa.

The little glossary at the end is most informative. I now know what "grips" and "gaffers" are and have some conception of the complex directorial hierarchy. Film credits will mean a great deal more to me now!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote