Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #15331
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Christopher Buecheler & Dana Stabenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Wailing Wind was another great Tony Hillerman Navajo Tribal Police yarn featuring Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. I guess that I'm on a Native American kick because I decided to next read the 16th of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mysteries, Whisper to the Blood.
Quote:
Whoops! With apologies to Dana Stabenow I've put a short hold on Whisper to the Blood while I insert 2 Christopher Buecheler books, Amun Sa and the Girl from the Desert a spoiler-free excerpt from The Children of the Sun and The Children of the Sun itself, which is the final novel in The II AM Trilogy. I did this because I received in my email this morning a Christopher Buecheler Newsletter reminding me of these 2 ebooks.
Quote:
Well I quickly finished reading Amun Sa and the Girl from the Desert and I believe that it does serve as an effective teaser (it's free from several sources) for The Children of the Sun which I have just started reading. It's the third and final novel of The II AM Trilogy.
Quote:
I'm reading Eleutherios between chapters of The Children of the Sun.
I finished reading The Children of the Sun last evening and liked it a lot. The II AM Trilogy turned out to be a quite enjoyable indie. Now back to Dana Stabenow's, Whisper to the Blood.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #15332
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Finished China Mieville's Kraken, good story spoiled by bad writing. Not a keeper.

Now onto Greg Bear's Forge of God. MUCH better!
Thanks, will be interested in your take on Forge of God, particular following Mieville.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #15333
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finished Dark Currents, the second book in the Emperor's Edge series by Lindsay Buroker. Hmmmm - not as good as the first. The TV series feel continues with the 'episode' only loosely contributing to the series overall arc with quite a bit of "getting to know you" for the characters.

There were a few action scenes that felt a bit camp and a few crises that actually resolved "off screen" which was a bit disappointing.

The witty banter continued from the first and the sexual tension between main characters grew and that was all fun, but while as a TV series I would probably just keep watching just because of that, I'm not sure if I'll rush to read the third book in the series.

Next up is Persuasion by Jane Austen. January book club read and my first Austen, so we'll see how I go.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #15334
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, I'll try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Shocking! I can not believe how shocked I was reading this. Electrocuting babies, hypnopaedia, soma, "orgyporgy," sex drive surrogate, "Fordship," death conditioning and decanting. I wonder what the book's reception was in 1932. The conditioning jingles were brilliant creations. Some interesting science such as the wireless hat, "feelies," genetic manipulations, taxicopters, sound boxes using paper disks, scenting, "cartridge belts." And the proper names were a hoot.

Overall, many interesting ideas. And how Huxley works them through the various characters is amazing. Rated B [4 stars].

It still shocks.

Next will be a new author for me The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #15335
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you've seen the movie, forget all of it. The book is so much better. The movie is a pale imitation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #15336
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Don't make friends with an elephant trainer unless you have space in your living room for an elephant.

You may find it necessary to read ALL the Jeffery Deaver novels before next Wednesday...

I wish I hadn't read them, just so I could read them again without know all the twists and turns. As it is, I've re-read them all AT LEAST twice...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #15337
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you've seen the movie, forget all of it. The book is so much better. The movie is a pale imitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Don't make friends with an elephant trainer unless you have space in your living room for an elephant.

You may find it necessary to read ALL the Jeffery Deaver novels before next Wednesday...

I wish I hadn't read them, just so I could read them again without know all the twists and turns. As it is, I've re-read them all AT LEAST twice...

Stitchawl
Agreed. You are in for a ride, Fbone.

Now reading the first of the non-Parker Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch novels, "Ironhorse", a sequel to "Brimstone", "Resolution", and "Appaloosa". It's not bad, but it's not Robert B. by a long chalk.

Last edited by orlok; 01-19-2013 at 04:58 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #15338
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Hand in Glove", the 22nd book in Ngaio Marsh's "Inspector Alleyn" series. Not a very taxing story: a man is found dead in a ditch after a treasure hunt at a party, and Alleyn must find the murderer. Marsh's usual interesting cast of characters make it a worthwhile read. Enjoyable, but nothing special.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #15339
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just finished Gone Girl at the strong recommendation of others. I was terribly disappointed. If I wanted to read all the ways two married people can hate one another and how they can destroy one another I'd read something Victorian.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #15340
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Keeper of the King by P. N. Elrod
A slightly dated but still fun look at vampires in the modern world. One of Baen's re-issues of pre-webscriptions books, from 1997. At one point our hero has to find a payphone to make a call. What a difference 16 years makes!

I find I have read The Ship Who Searched before (I thought I had, but it's nice to have an ebook copy, and the forward was interesting). So discarding that from my TBR pile, I move on to Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein.

Which I might have read before - I'll find out!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #15341
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Heinlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A slightly dated but still fun look at vampires in the modern world. One of Baen's re-issues of pre-webscriptions books, from 1997. At one point our hero has to find a payphone to make a call. What a difference 16 years makes!

I find I have read The Ship Who Searched before (I thought I had, but it's nice to have an ebook copy, and the forward was interesting). So discarding that from my TBR pile, I move on to Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein.

Which I might have read before - I'll find out!
Does The Day After Tomorrow ring a bell as it was also published with that title?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #15342
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow, interesting. I completely missed this movie (but hey, I'm not a movie person) but it stars Jennifer Lawrence....

The book and movie are now on my list.

and HA! The movie is free on Amazon Prime! Woo-Hoo!
It's on Netflix as well, just watched it myself last weekend, great performance by Ms. Lawrence.
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #15343
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just started Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich, which I finally got from the library. YIPPEE!!!!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #15344
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Does The Day After Tomorrow ring a bell as it was also published with that title?
Ah. Yes, that does ring bells. I'll read a few pages and see how well I remember it!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #15345
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Winter's Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post
It's on Netflix as well, just watched it myself last weekend, great performance by Ms. Lawrence.
And it's only $7.99 for the ebook at Amazon!