Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
New Features since 2013?

I bought my Paperwhite at the end of 2013 and it has never been on the internet (no wifi, Amazon registered it over the phone) so it still has its original firmware.

What I'd like to know is: is it now possible for the user to load new fonts onto the reader without doing anything major, like jailbreaking; or would I have to purchase a more modern model in order to do this?
Is it possible to load new fonts onto more up-to-date kindles? If so, which?

I also own an old Sony prs 505. One of the things I love about this is the way I can alter the font in one book, while having a different font in another. With the Paperwhite, changing the font, or its size, is universal: all the books take on the same look.
Do any of the newer kindles do what my old Sony does?

Also, with the Sony prs 505, I could create Collections without any need for wifi. Wifi gives me a headache, all my internet is wired. Are there any modern kindles which let me create Collections without using the cloud, or needing a wifi connection?

Thanks in advance for any information. I'm just mulling over the idea of perhaps buying myself a new ereader for christmas. I can live with my old Paperwhite, but any significant improvements might make it nicer to use. Don't hesitate to mention other manufacturer's models if you think I might like them.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If it's the 5th generation Paperwhite, I think you can add fonts with by putting a blank text file in your root directory titled USE_ALT_FONTS. Then you just add a fonts folder and copy your fonts into that. That's how it works in the Touch, and (I think) the original version of the Paperwhite. (The second two Paperwhite versions would require a jailbreak or software new enough to add fonts.) You won't get the font darkness control with the USE_ALT_FONTS hack.

EDIT: I see you have the Paperwhite 2 listed. That would require one the lateest releases of software for font adding (without jail breaking). I think you can download and install the updates without turning on WiFi. (I can't guarantee that, however as I've never done it.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-21-2018 at 03:05 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rcentros, I've always respected your opinions and advice. As this particular Paperwhite works, just not the way I'd like, I'd rather not risk bricking it by messing with the firmware. Which model would you recommend in order to most closely approximate the features I prefer?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no danger in updating via firmware copied over the USB connection. If a particular firmware is not intended for your device, it simply won't install.

If you plan to buy a new device, the new PW4 would be the obvious choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Harry, thanks. I'm a bit cautious about updating the firmware after reading a thread here a few weeks ago: someone's kindle had been rendered useless during a firmware update. I remember they were having problems getting a new kindle from Amazon. It was quite a long thread. I'll try to find it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309789

This was it.

Provided it isn't horrendously expensive, I can afford a new reader. I've been living well within my means for a while.

Will the new Paperwhite let me sort books into Collections while in aeroplane mode? And alter the font in one book, but not in another (like the Sony could)? If not, is there any device which can do this?

Last edited by BookCat; 10-21-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I've now realised that I'm not married to the Kindle models. Could I request that this thread is moved to "Which One Should I Buy?" If not, should I make an almost duplicate post.
It's probable that only kindle peeps will see this post here.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Will the new Paperwhite let me sort books into Collections while in aeroplane mode? And alter the font in one book, but not in another (like the Sony could)? If not, is there any device which can do this?
You can use collections in aeroplane mode, if your Kindle is registered.

As to your other question, nope. But with the newest firmware you can save different fonts, different sizes etc as separate themes and so it should be easy to switch between them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I've now realised that I'm not married to the Kindle models.
In that case you might consider one of the Kobo models (6", 6.8", 7.8", 8"). If you're familiar with using epubs on Sony devices then Kobos shouldn't be too alien. I made the Sony -> Kobo switch about 5 years ago.

If you want you can manage Collections manually on the device without enabling wi-fi. However, if you're a calibre user you can save a lot of effort by managing your Collections in calibre and letting the Kobo auto-update each time you connect to calibre via USB.

As standard there is a per-book setting for font-family/font-size/alignment/line-height/margins(L&R). There is a per-font setting for font weight.

Custom fonts can be sideloaded by simple drag-drop to the fonts directory. Changing font weight is only available for the built-in fonts, but there is also a Kobo patch (i.e. hack) which can remove that restriction for those who wish to.

Other benefits for Kobo/calibre users are that more of your calibre metadata can be auto-transferred to the device, e.g. Series, Comments/synopsis, cover thumbnails/screensavers. With a little more effort (not hacking) you can also set up calibre to transfer things like pagecount or other metadata from your calibre custom columns.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Quote:
I've now realised that I'm not married to the Kindle models.
In that case you might consider one of the Kobo models (6", 6.8", 7.8", 8").
Seconded! I have been a Kindle user since 2012, switched to a Kobo Clara HD 2-3 weeks ago, and will be buying an Aura H2O2 next week. The Clara is A LOT lighter and noticeably smaller than my 2nd gen PW, even the H2O with it's bigger screen is the same weight as the PW. And the kobo infrastructure and ecosystem both seem less Orwellian than that offered by Big Bezos. If you like your older PW, I think you wouls love the Clara
Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moved as requested.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Harry, thank you for moving this.

I've been looking at the Kobo Clara HD, attracted by the ability to alter the light temperature. But I've read lots about "light bleed". Does this bother other Clara users?

Also, the Clara seems capable of opening Mobi and rtf files, as well as epub, all of which will be useful, though I can use my Paperwhite for mobi and azw if I need to. So the Clara HD is definitely a contender.

Sirtel: My kindle is only registered at the Amazon end, the device itself has NEVER been connected to the internet so could not be registered. Everything was done by phone by the rep I spoke to, so that I could buy books and load them to the device via usb, thereby creating a "manage my devices and content" thing. I've never had access to Collections, the option is greyed out.

I've only used Calibre to convert books, everything else is too techy, probably because I don't know how to do it. Perhaps I should hang out in the Calibre section of MR for a while.

It's really disappointing that the new kindle doesn't have more features like the warm light which Clara has.
Does anyone have issues with light bleed?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Harry, thank you for moving this.

I've been looking at the Kobo Clara HD, attracted by the ability to alter the light temperature. But I've read lots about "light bleed". Does this bother other Clara users?
It's not on every Clara. I'm one of several here who've reported that their Claras are free of the issue. This means that it's a bit of a lottery - you may get one with the problem, or get one without.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

stuartjmz: are Kobo good at replacing any which do have the problem, or do they have awful customer service?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Is there something like the Kobo Clara HD, which has a light temperature adjuster, the ability to load fonts and create collections, all without wifi?
The Clara light bleed issue is putting me off.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
stuartjmz: are Kobo good at replacing any which do have the problem, or do they have awful customer service?
Kobo certainly have nothing corresponding to Amazon's "return a Kindle for any reason within 30 days of purchase" policy, so if you are someone who is "sensitive" to light unevenness, as some people in the Kindle forum are, and are thus likely to wish to make multiple returns in order to get a "perfect" light, I'd stick to Kindle devices if I were you! I have to confess that 99% of the pictures people post of their "awful" Kindle screens look absolutely fine to me .

Tags
collections, features, fonts