Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
Nikolas55
Nikolas55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle vs Nook: battery life

Hello everyone

Which device Nook Glowlight or Kindle Paperwhite battery life longer in the same conditions?

Regards
Nikolas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Kramar
Kramar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wink I will be the first :)

Nook Glowlight (2013)
Those who say something like "android on any book wildly eats battery" is dedicated to:

1st measurement (don't know how to create spoiler for many screenshots, sorry; link for screenshots in the end of the post)
Time since last charging 33d 5h
Almost 1d 8h screen on time (32 hours)

In fact, since the screenshots, I lived about 7 more hours of standby.
The device is 4.5 years old, everyday usage (not special test), I didn’t do anything especially to increase the working time, the main programs used are ZXReader for reading and ReLaunch as launcher, backlight is turned on 95% of the reading time, the level on the screenshots, Wi-Fi is turned on extremely rarely (download books, screenshots)

2nd measurement
Time since last charging 24d 3h
Almost 1d 18h screen on time (42 hours)

3rd measurement
Time since last charging 18d 18h
Almost 1d 20h screen on time (44 hours)

Source (4pda forum, Russian)

Sorry for my bad English
Kramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both have a battery life that is sufficiently long that it's really not a consideration when buying, to my mind. When you can go "many days" without charging, it becomes (for me at least) irrelevant what figure actually constitutes "many".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I believe these eReaders use the most power when changing pages. So how long one lasts on a battery charge will be a function of how many pages you turn (how fast you read, and how frequently you read). I guess you could set your font size to really really small, therefore in theory you'd turn fewer pages, thus using less battery.

Also, are you using the light or not - that will certainly affect battery usage as well.

I agree with HarryT - the battery lasts plenty long for most peoples usage. Battery life (given how long current eReaders typically last) would not be a consideration in my purchase decision either.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote