Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #496
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So if you read in long sessions, having WiFi on won't make that much difference to battery life, but if you read for only a few minutes a day, leaving WiFi on could result in a dramatic decrease in battery life.
Well, even us long-session readers have to sleep sometimes....

My experience (not scientific) has convinced me that airplane mode does give better battery life as a whole, regardless of long or short sessions.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #497
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
My experience (not scientific) has convinced me that airplane mode does give better battery life as a whole, regardless of long or short sessions.
Agreed. On my Oasis I've left WiFi off since the day I bought it, but on my Voyage, my experience was that leaving WiFi turned off roughly doubled the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #498
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
With my battery issue investigation, the latest is that amazon have now asked me to charge to 100%, then use my kindle until it reaches 10% then send these new logs.
Sounds suspiciously like they believe your calibration for battery got lost in the update and doesn't get triggered again to recalibrate. Or, in other words, they could not figure out why you drain battery from the logs. Which might be a good thing, as it can theoretically be fixed in software.

I am still betting you will get a replacement if this takes a while yet. Amazon is not going to torture you too long with an unsatisfactory device.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #499
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I keep mine in inverted black and white and virtually no battery life is used but I find that I use my Ipad pro more and more to read my kindle books and I hardly touch my oasis
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #500
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I keep mine in inverted black and white and virtually no battery life is used but I find that I use my Ipad pro more and more to read my kindle books and I hardly touch my oasis
That's interesting. I had a Kindle Keyboard and went to a Ipad Air 2 to read books for a couple of years. Eventually when the new Oasis stuff came out I decided to given it a try and loved how light it was and easier to hold in one hand etc. and now read mostly on the Oasis 2. I still use the iPad for comics and books that have pictures however. There is always a chance I could go back to iPad if/when I upgrade to next generation iPad Pro's that have yet to be announced.

Does the larger size and weight of the iPad Pro cause any issues for you?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #501
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
That's interesting. I had a Kindle Keyboard and went to a Ipad Air 2 to read books for a couple of years. Eventually when the new Oasis stuff came out I decided to given it a try and loved how light it was and easier to hold in one hand etc. and now read mostly on the Oasis 2. I still use the iPad for comics and books that have pictures however. There is always a chance I could go back to iPad if/when I upgrade to next generation iPad Pro's that have yet to be announced.

Does the larger size and weight of the iPad Pro cause any issues for you?

I find very little difference between the pro and the regular ipad. when the oasis is on inverted black/white I have excellent battery life but I cant stand reading like that and end up switching back
Old 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #502
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I have the Oasis 2, and I love the device itself, but I hate the battery life. I like reading for long periods, and now I have to charge it everyday. It's like a smartphone.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #503
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I have the Oasis 2, and I love the device itself, but I hate the battery life. I like reading for long periods, and now I have to charge it everyday. It's like a smartphone.
Ditto.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #504
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
WiFi on or off? What light level? If I read all day on my Oasis 2 with WiFi off and the light on level 5, the battery charge goes down to somewhere around 80-85%. Ie I can read for about 4 days on a battery charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #505
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
I’m on my second oasis and battery life is even worse. Also I have trouble downloading books. I’ll buy books and they do not show up till hours later. If I delete a book off the oasis as well as delete off amazon account it gets stuck. And stays on my device for days or weeks before disappearing. Like what the heck I delete it off the amazon account off the device and content page on amazon.com and everything and the book will not go away It’s not stuck indexing. I do not have this issue with my paperwhite or fire tablets, only the oasis. And why can’t we get an update to help stop indexing issues? You do not get this BS with kobo

I
Old 10-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #506
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I’m on my second oasis and battery life is even worse. Also I have trouble downloading books. I’ll buy books and they do not show up till hours later. If I delete a book off the oasis as well as delete off amazon account it gets stuck. And stays on my device for days or weeks before disappearing. Like what the heck I delete it off the amazon account off the device and content page on amazon.com and everything and the book will not go away It’s not stuck indexing. I do not have this issue with my paperwhite or fire tablets, only the oasis. And why can’t we get an update to help stop indexing issues? You do not get this BS with kobo

I
No...you get other BS with kobo

All e-readers have issues, it depends on what is important to you. It drives me crazy to have to plug my reader in to my computer in order to load books on it, and that's the biggest reason I don't use my Kobo as often as I do my Kindle. My kobo also has issues with not registering screen taps on a regular basis. The battery life is amazing on the kobo, though, as is the screen clarity.

As I've said before, I don't have the battery issues with my Oasis 2 that others seem to -- I truly feel sorry for those that are having the problem, though. If my battery was draining within a day or two like is happening to some people on this thread, I would be complaining here and calling Amazon as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #507
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Folks I read for a good 8 hours yesterday, and I used about 35% of my Oasis 2 battery. That also includes downloading 2 large books and 1 magizine.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #508
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
If I delete a book off the oasis as well as delete off amazon account it gets stuck. And stays on my device for days or weeks before disappearing. Like what the heck I delete it off the amazon account off the device and content page on amazon.com and everything and the book will not go away It’s not stuck indexing.
A little off topic, but I've developed this problem with my Paperwhite the last month. It's pretty annoying. I don't delete it off the amazon account though, just try every way possible to remove from kindle device (or collection!) Books keep getting stuck in both but there's no indexing going on.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #509
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
A little off topic, but I've developed this problem with my Paperwhite the last month. It's pretty annoying. I don't delete it off the amazon account though, just try every way possible to remove from kindle device (or collection!) Books keep getting stuck in both but there's no indexing going on.
It was making me so mad I had to reset my oasis to get rid of it now it takes forever to re-download and for the indexing to end. It drives me to the brink of insanity!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #510
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I don’t have my kindle registered/logged in and only sideload a couple dozen books at a time and have never had indexing issues.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2