Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 AM   #61
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Personally, trying to shove more book recommendations on me are a "problem". I'm really hating what they've done to the Amazon Music and Audible apps. They no longer go back to where you left off. It always wants to start on the home page, trying to talk me into buying more music/books.
Yes I agree about Audible, it is not getting better. Hoping the promote Kindle app to first class Audible player (on iOS, Android).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #62
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is weird that it reduces number of books on a list view page on 7” Oasis. How did they manage to do that? On 6” the status bar is exactly the same height, there’s just this additional thing in it.
I don't think J.P.S is referring to the battery percentage display included in this firmware update. With this firmware update, the battery percentage is shown and this does not affect the number of items appearing in lists - which is eight.

What J.P.S referred to was a feature of previous firmware versions that exists on the Kindle Oasis 2, but not on 6" Kindles. This feature allows you to switch between a "standard" display style, and a "large" display style, which has more spaced out text aimed at being easier to read. Consequently, this reduces the number of items able to fit on the screen. On previous firmware releases, the battery percentage was shown in "large" mode, but not in "standard" mode. But now, the percentage display is shown in both display modes.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #63
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I wish I hadn't updated. Maybe this is just me, I find the battery percentage really distracting. The other 'upgrades' don't really do much for me either. Sorry, moan over.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #64
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I wish I hadn't updated. Maybe this is just me, I find the battery percentage really distracting. The other 'upgrades' don't really do much for me either. Sorry, moan over.
When I'm reading there is no battery percentage shown on my Paperwhite. The only time I look at the percentage is if I'm leaving home and want to make sure I have enough battery left to read during lunch or while I wait for an appointment.

Many of the changes are meaningless to me but none are a negative.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #65
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
You do not have to have the battery percentage showing on your reading page. You can turn it off on the reading tab of the page customizing. I do not have it enabled.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #66
overture1922
overture1922 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I tried to put alternative fonts in the 创Fonts创 folder of my Kindles PW3 with 5.10.1.1 firmware, but it does not work. I tried following the instructions that are in the folder. Can anyone helpme?
===============
1. English
===============

You can now install your favorite fonts on your Kindle and choose one of them to read your eBooks.

Any font you install must be either an OpenType (OTF) or a TrueType (TTF) font. All other font formats are unsupported. Also, fonts are usually available as a font family and may consist of several files for different font styles - one each for Regular, Italic, Bold, BoldItalic, etc. For the best reading experience, we recommend you install all the files in the font family. Supported font files will have .ttf, .otf, or .ttc file extensions.

How to install fonts on your Kindle:

1. If the font is packaged into a compressed file (such as a ZIP file), uncompress the files using your favorite file extracting program

2. Copy the font files into the “fonts” folder on your Kindle

3. Disconnect your Kindle from the computer

4. You can now choose a custom font in addition to the Kindle fonts from the Display Settings (Aa) menu

Once you choose a custom font from the Display Settings (Aa) menu, your Kindle will render the book content using that font for most books. If the font is not able to be used for rendering the book’s content, your Kindle will use the default system font instead. This can happen if the font does not support the characters in the book or if the font is damaged.
overture1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #67
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by overture1922 View Post
I tried to put alternative fonts in the 创Fonts创 folder of my Kindles PW3 with 5.10.1.1 firmware, but it does not work. I tried following the instructions that are in the folder. Can anyone helpme?
Try naming the folder fonts instead of Fonts.

Edit: That doesn't seem to make a difference. I thought it might be case-sensitive.

What font(s) are you trying to add?

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-01-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Add info
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #68
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Install your fonts then open Kindle User Guide and go to Aa menu to check if your fonts are supported by the device.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #69
overture1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Try naming the folder fonts instead of Fonts.

What font(s) are you trying to add?
It磗 already 创fonts创. I磎 trying to add Times New Roman and Arial.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #70
overture1922

My Kindle is not jailbreaked, but the new firmware in theory supports adding new fonts.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #71
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My Kindle is not jailbreaked, but the new firmware in theory supports adding new fonts.
It does work. They added that feature with the 5.9.6.1 update.

A restart shouldn't be necessary but you might give that a try.

Edit: Custom fonts was added with 5.9.6.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-01-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #72
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Try open the User's Guide and check your fonts.
The point is that not all books support user's fonts, the Guide does for sure.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #73
overture1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
It does work. They added that feature with the 5.9.6.1 update.

A restart shouldn't be necessary but you might give that a try.
I also tried this.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #74
overture1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Try open the User's Guide and check your fonts.
The point is that not all books support user's fonts, the Guide does for sure.
Great! This worked! Thank you.

I did not know that not all the books supported the new fonts.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #75
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Great! This worked! Thank you.

I did not know that not all the books supported the new fonts.
The older MOBI format doesn't support user fonts. The KF8 format (AZW3) and KFX does.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-01-2018 at 08:28 AM.