Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
As mentioned in a General Discussions thread, floaters are a lot less noticeable on a screen with a dark background.
Hmmmm. Now that's an interesting point.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #32
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I’ve spent all week since Monday reading with the inverted text, and I’ve made it to Friday with 31% battery left over, I might even make it to Saturday, which would be a first for me with the Oasis. So it does seem to make the Oasis last longer. A large part of this is likely due to the fact that I’m not fiddling about with the light all the time, as in inverted mode I can just set it and forget it (at 2 brightness). I need to make the font super big to read it in the dark, but that’s fine.

I’ve been reading it all over the place this week, as I’ve had lots of doctor and dentist visits with my kids, and I have attracted interested glances, not sure if that’s because of the Oasis itself, or because of the white on black.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #33
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do not like it but it improves battery life a great deal staying in that mode
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
White on black is generally hard on the eyes than the normal black on white. However, if you have certain vision problems, the black background is beneficial. I have visual problems and had to end my membership at several sites because they took a fancy to a black background format that I simply could not read above 5 minutes. The slight greyed background here on Mobile reads is pretty easy to read. I can even read the small text, which is pretty amazing. Good type choice, IMHO.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #35
PGrace
PGrace began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K2, DX, DXG
Please don't get too freaked out about blue light. Anyone that can see the sky is being irradiated by blue light. Your eyes are the product of 3 billion years of adaptation.

Blue light does interfere with sleeping - 3 billion years has not taken blue light at sunset into account.

UV light is a more serious problem, but white LED backlights are usually UV filtered except in really cheap hardware.
PGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #36
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGrace View Post
Please don't get too freaked out about blue light. Anyone that can see the sky is being irradiated by blue light. Your eyes are the product of 3 billion years of adaptation.

Blue light does interfere with sleeping - 3 billion years has not taken blue light at sunset into account.

UV light is a more serious problem, but white LED backlights are usually UV filtered except in really cheap hardware.
It’s not that blue light harms eyes, but many studies have shown it to surpress making melatonin which is how our bodies prepare for sleep.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #37
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I use my old Palm (Sony Clie TH55) when I want to read without blue light issues (older people have poor sleep at best). Amber text on black background and a yellow plastic film overlay blocks all the blue. That is reading close without glasses.
The Nook amber seems to be pure amber LEDs not the RGB mix other devices use. But I really miss being able to invert screen by choice

I know it should be possible on the nook since it inverts when the screen blinks.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #38
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
White on black is generally hard on the eyes than the normal black on white. However, if you have certain vision problems, the black background is beneficial. I have visual problems and had to end my membership at several sites because they took a fancy to a black background format that I simply could not read above 5 minutes. The slight greyed background here on Mobile reads is pretty easy to read. I can even read the small text, which is pretty amazing. Good type choice, IMHO.
I'm not at home, but I downloaded a "scriptlet" that converts black-background websites to white-background (with black font) sites because the black ones give me headaches. (Of course, TOO MUCH white background does the same thing to me :-) ). Let me know if you're interested, and I'll see if I can find where I got it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #39
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGrace View Post
Yeah, but evolution only selects for the capacity to live to be old enough to reproduce, not to live longer and prosper into old age.
http://nautil.us/issue/46/balance/wh...tion-is-ageist
===========
“Nature doesn’t give a damn about us after we make our babies. Natural selection is pretty much gone around age 40—and that’s where aging begins.”
===========

https://www.dogonews.com/2018/10/15/...rate-blindness
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
(Wrong thread)

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-19-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: wrong thread
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote