Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Cush1978
Cush1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Bricked Kindle Voyage?

Hello all,

Through doing some research I stumbled on this forum while looking for ways to figure out what's wrong with my Kindle Voyage. Amazon was kind enough to help by telling me to hold the power button 10 or 40 seconds and when that didn't work, they offered 15% towards a new one. I went ahead and bought an Oasis, but I'm pretty sure my Voyage is fixable. Here's the symptoms.

- Froze up. Rebooting just gets me to the tree screen.
- Charging seems to be working; light turns yellow, then green when charged.
- Holding down power for 10 seconds causes the screen to flash black/white then go back to the tree screen which means the display isn't broken or stuck.
- The Kindle no longer is recognized as a USB device, although it does seem to charge from the USB port.
- I've tried letting it charge/discharge with no change in results.
- I have stock everything; no modified firmware or boot loader.

The Voyage seems to be the forgotten one of the bunch; most of the guides I see are around Paperwhite and such. From what I can gather on these forums, the Voyage is a suped-up Paperwhite.

I've seen suggestions from USB loaders to soldering on the board to USB<->RS-232 connectors. Does anyone know what works on the Voyage? Is there an up-to-date method for attempting to fix this?

Thanks!
Cush1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Check the Developers Corner sub-forum. One thing might be to, while not connected via USB, try holding the power button for 40 secs or so before releasing - that should trigger a hard reset.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I had a kindle keyboard with the same problem. I did the holding power button for 1 minute 7 times and it finally cleared. There have been no problems with it in the 8 months since it cleared. Probably it's brains were well and truly screwed up.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage brick