Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
ryankapoor
ryankapoor began at the beginning.

Device: mobileread
Tips for a new Kindle user (self.kindle)

So as a follow-up to my previous post here, I finally bought a 2nd hand Kindle Paper 2017 for around 98 bucks in complete package and mint condition. The Kindle Voyage seller didn't respond to my SMS when I asked him for permission to review the unit first before purchasing it, so it seemed sketchy for me.

Do you have any tips for someone new to this (i.e. Which adapter to use for charging, apps for converting PDF's and other files, etc)?Rightmove Kijiji Quizlet

: Wow, thanks a lot for your responses! I am actually enjoying my time with this wonderfully simple piece of technology. Gotta convert my non-Amazon files. ��

Last edited by ryankapoor; 10-17-2018 at 04:17 PM.
ryankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you have a lot of non-Amazon books, the best option is to install the excellent free program Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/. Note that the PDF format is not meant for converting or reading on small screens. While you can convert PDF, the result is generally rather poor, no matter which program or app you use.

Also don't convert your files to the mobi format, but to azw3. Otherwise you can't use custom fonts or adjust boldness (the mobi format doesn't support such things).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
To convert pdfs to epub and then mobi, you need ABBYY Transformer (about $30-40 depending on whether it's on special), a wifi link for your computer and Calibre. Transformer does a marvelous job of converting text to epub - novels, not textbooks. Then use Calibre to convert to mobi or AZW3. I do this for books where there is no epub or mobi available. PDFs I own are too heavily illustrated for conversion and I just use my Nook HD+ or Fire to read those.

Like some other programs, ABBYY Transformer will not work unless it's anti-piracy program can contact the website to ensure that it is a registered copy. Really annoys me, but at least I don't have to upgrade. I use it because I have paper books not already in ebook converted as I can't read paper books any longer (vision problems).

Last edited by Tarana; 10-19-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote