Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #166
hainh
hainh began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, Nokia 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@hainh: Try installing the hotfix. If that fails, you're screwed.
Good morning NiLuJe

Thanks a lot. I did see a successful updated screen with this hotfix. Now I'll try to install something.

PS: I often see your name on my screensaver, just wow
hainh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #167
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
I post in a wrong thread. Sorry for that. Post edited.

Last edited by zivilyn; 10-09-2018 at 10:10 PM.
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #168
zivilyn
Enthusiast

Just share my case.

My device is KPW3-32G black, bought from Japan and with special offers.

The original firmware version I remembered was 5.7.4. Then I have installed android system on it via Taobao. Yesterday I deleted the android system and recovered the device, and I found that the system version was 5.8.7 then. Then I tried to jailbreak it.

First is the information:

Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet?
Yes S/N: G090 LK
Is it a "refurbished" device?
No
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version?
Arrived with 5.7.4 and updated to 5.8.7.
Is it registered?
Yes
Does it have ads (Special Offers)?
Yes, but after I change the language setting, the special offers and related setting disappeared.
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled?
No
What country was it sold in?
JP
What country was it delivered to?
JP
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar).
Amazon (JP)

Here is my steps:

1. I copied the update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin file in the device and the use the system menu to update. Then after update process, the system showed that updating is fail (I forgot to save the screen and the error code). After rebooting, the .bin file was deleted.

2. Again I copied the .bin into the device, and pressed the power button for 40 seconds without disconnecting from PC. Then the system rebooted and started updating.

3. After several minutes, updating finished and I found that the system was jailbroken.

Last edited by zivilyn; 10-10-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #169
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Given the specific steps you have given, one of the two are true:
*) It was jailbroken before you started (probably by the installers of Android)
or
*) It is not jailbroken now.

How are you determining that your Kindle is jailbroken?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #170
zivilyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Given the specific steps you have given, one of the two are true:
*) It was jailbroken before you started (probably by the installers of Android)
or
*) It is not jailbroken now.

How are you determining that your Kindle is jailbroken?
You’re right. I didn’t check the jaibreak status before copy the .bin file into the device.

Before I copy the .bin file, I
1. check with the android installer, and he told me that the device would become unjailbroen after deleting android.
2. I have recovered the device twice, once by the customer android system and once by the kindle system.
3. Then I plugged it in my computer and can only see “documents” directory in it, so I “think” it was unjailbroken.

I have installed koreader in the device. So I think it’s jailbroke now. But I cannot confirm it’s jailbroke by me.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #171
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Typical Chinease hacker, using our code without acknowledgement or understanding how it works.

*) Our jailbreak is viral.
*) You can't "see" it in the visible USB user storage (if you could, it would not be such trouble to install it ).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #172
zivilyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Typical Chinease hacker, using our code without acknowledgement or understanding how it works.

*) Our jailbreak is viral.
*) You can't "see" it in the visible USB user storage (if you could, it would not be such trouble to install it ).
I have another question. In which situation will my KPW lost jailbreak status?

Will the jailbreak survive in recovery?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #173
Nemus
Nemus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Hi guys, I've just bought a PW3 with fw 5.9.7.

Is possible to software JB it (I absolutely want to turn off the light)?
Nemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #174
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemus View Post
Hi guys, I've just bought a PW3 with fw 5.9.7.

Is possible to software JB it (I absolutely want to turn off the light)?
Pretty sure you can turn off the light without jailbreaking in this case.

Serial jailbreak is possible if you're willing to open up your PW3 hardware. Alas, no software jailbreak available yet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #175
tminer
tminer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, i have a kindle PW3-32 with firmware fw-5.8.7.0.1 and was following the MobileRead wiki [ 5 x Jailbreak ] article. It mentions

Code:
If you are coming here from the this thread: PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak, use the 'update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin' for this step

Does it mean for PW3-4 and PW3-32 and any kindle at fw-5.8.9.0.1? Or it mean PW3-4 at fw-5.8.9.0.1 and PW3-32 at fw-5.8.9.0.1?

Which model's initial factory firmware image should i download?
tminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #176
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
PW3-specific, FW-specific, logic AND.

With the usual caveats that sometimes these things implode for no discernible reason.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #177
tminer

Quote:
PW3-specific, FW-specific, logic AND.

With the usual caveats that sometimes these things implode for no discernible reason.
So should i just use the PW3 factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial firmware for my PW3-32?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #178
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
NO. In fact, possibly no one should, but on a 32GB, definitely not.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #179
tminer

Quote:
NO. In fact, possibly no one should, but on a 32GB, definitely not.
I am sorry but how do I software jailbreak a PW3-32?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #180
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
For what it's worth, I used the 5.8.9.0.1 jailbreak on 2x PW3-32 Manga purchased from Woot back in, hmm, maybe March 2018?

Well, one was purchased March but then I wanted a jailbroken backup so bought another when they offered it again. Found my old post regarding JB. Again, you do take the risk of possibly bricking your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
One more datapoint:

Woot: Kindle Paperwhite Manga 32GB 6" E-Reader
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet?
    Yes s/n: G090 LK01
  • Is it a "refurbished" device?
    Yes
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version?
    No stock 5.8.7.0.1 (3115940037)
  • Is it registered?
    No At least not at the time of factory fw install and jb
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)?
    Yes/No Woot page said 'Includes Special Offers' but when device was registered post-jailbreak and fw 5.8.11 update, it was unsubscribed.
  • Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled?
    No
  • What country was it sold in?
    US
  • What country was it delivered to?
    US
  • Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar).
    Woot.com (Amazon subsidiary)

After updating the PW3-32 to customer 5.8.11 (3243010037), both factory firmwares 5.7.4 and 5.8.9.0.1 were automatically deleted after copy/eject. The other PW3 (brand-new from Amazon) that I downgraded was also running 5.8.11 (3243010037).

coplate's suggestion of new, out-of-box Kindles getting 1-2 free passes definitely has merit.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-03-2018 at 03:24 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote