Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Slick Oasis Solutions

Now that I’ve seen new Kobo I’m sticking with my Oasis 2017. However, I’d like it more if it wasn’t so slick, it’s difficult to hold when laying down. Anyone tried to fix the same issue and found a good solution? I know there are theories of matte skins, pop sockets, finger straps, and such, but can anyone share what you’ve actually done to make holding it easier?

Last edited by Futuregrace; 09-28-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Now that I’ve seen new Kobo I’m sticking with my Oasis 2017. However, I’d like it more if it wasn’t so slick, it’s difficult to hold when laying down. Anyone tried to fix the same issue and found a good solution? I know there are theories of matte skins, pop sockets, finger straps, and such, but can anyone share what you’ve actually done to make holding it easier?
I purchased some Talon Grip sheets (rubber texture, not granulate) and I'm very satisfied. They're comfortable and make my Oasis much easier to hold.
https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/material/
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I tried a DecalGirl skin, which while attractive, did not really solve the problem for me. Since I usually read in bed while lying on my back, I just found the shape uncomfortable to hold even with the skin. Quite often, my hand would ache after a long reading session because I was gripping the device so hard in order to keep from dropping it.

I ended up buying this MoKo case, and I'm very happy with it. I hold the Oasis with the cover folded back behind the device, my index finger between the covers, and my other three fingers behind the cover, supporting the device. My thumb rests lightly in front to press the page turn buttons. This method works for me whether I'm holding the Oasis in my right or left hand. Yeah, it adds a bit of weight, but together the Oasis and case weigh 319 grams, which is still lighter than my PaperWhite in its official Amazon case. As always YMMV.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Use a case, much easier to hold
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
I put two strips of clear 2" packing tape on the back of the Oasis, along the sides. It gives me just enough grip that I do not feel the Oasis is going to slide out of my hands and is not very noticeable visually.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Thank y'all so much! I'm gonna try the packing tape thing
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I used a piece of Gaffer's tape on the back of mine while I was waiting for the cover to be delivered. Once in the cover, the slick back didn't matter.

The cover I bought wasn't expensive, $10 perhaps.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Just get a nice leather case
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
I've got this case from Amazon and extremely happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791BBNKV/
It serves exactly as I wanted: gives additional grip without adding a bothering front cover while reading. Also, it gives additional protection on drop ––*even for the screen, since there are some(very small) lips on the front side.
The only neg is that it is not compatible with Amazon original magnetic origami cover, which is ideal to keep device in pocket and as a standing cover. So I have to choose between these two. I wish this rubber gumshoe was juuuust a bit thinner ––*then I could pair them together, getting best from each of two.
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Got one of these and it completely fixed the "cold" feeling of my KO2:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202340390126
Great case for a great reader.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Maybe masking tape? It peels off easy same with bandage tape
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote