Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Question Saw this question on reddit. Which "Operating System" do you use for your Kobo?

Here was the question I saw, thought you guys would have some good suggestions.

"I know OS may not be the right nomenclature but you get the gist of what I'm saying. I'm curious to know if you guys use the default Kobo software or do you use something else that you feel is better or has more/better features?

Also, is there a list of the available OS's anywhere?"
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo is using Linux. There are some who got Android working on some of the Kobos, but I'm not sure how easy that is.

They may be more interested in knowing about koreader, ksm and all those "apps".
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
lori87
Connoisseur

I've heard a lot about koreader and ksm, which do you guys find is best?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
I've heard a lot about koreader and ksm, which do you guys find is best?
Personally? I stick with the native software, tried ksm/koreader but the Kobo provided software is just more user friendly.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Most people probably like the Kobo-software fine enough to not care. You don't need to add any app.

But Koreader is probably the best you can find if you use pdf-files. It also gives the possibility to have books in a folder structure, which for some is a huge win.

It is nice to have the possibility to fairly easy install other readers. Koreader, Coolreader (& games), Plato, etc.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I use the default Kobo reader, Plato, and a bunch of tweaks.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
lori87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I use the default Kobo reader, Plato, and a bunch of tweaks.
What tweaks do you use? Where do you typically find them?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I use default software (EPUB-reader specifically, not Kepub) and some patches.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
What tweaks do you use? Where do you typically find them?
I patch my firmware (see https://gist.github.com/geek1011/0e9...628911221f695e). Also, I modify parts of the firmware as needed to mess around with it (like adding a ssh server, doing stuff on boot, etc).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote