Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast
SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOKcolor, NOOK for Android app, Kindle for PC app, Kindle for Android
I got a NOOKcolor as a Christmas gift the first year they came out. It was the best gift I've ever received. This year with all the problems that B&N have been having I decided to get one of the 7" Kindle Fire Tablet packages during the Valentines Day sale. I've quickly fallen in love with that one as well and actually with the exception of a couple of books that were not on Amazon for some reason have all of my books on the Fire.
SpaceCowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy1964 View Post
I got a NOOKcolor as a Christmas gift the first year they came out. It was the best gift I've ever received. This year with all the problems that B&N have been having I decided to get one of the 7" Kindle Fire Tablet packages during the Valentines Day sale. I've quickly fallen in love with that one as well and actually with the exception of a couple of books that were not on Amazon for some reason have all of my books on the Fire.
When you are ready to move on from the Fire, I'd recommend looking into either the new Nook tablet or a regular Android tablet.

I recommend those over the Fire because it will have the Google Play Store which allows you to install both the Nook and Kindle apps. Then you'd have all your books from both stores handy.

The Fire tablet (unless you modified it) relies on the Amazon app store, which does not let you install the Nook app.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I suppose it's because the PW is currently on "Black Friday sale" in Canada and that's where it belongs. It's so hard to tell sometimes where to "put" a post because it's about both a sale, and the results thereof, and about the specific item itself But thanks DrDrib for moving it.

And yes soulfuldog, I do agree with you. I have such an immense appreciation for the whole new world that has opened up through ereading that has trickled down to my children, too. (my kids still love "real books" haha, but they also love the feel and convenience of the technology)

Once the sale's over, I'll move it back to the Kindle Forum, where it'll be a better fit. (I can also change the Subject Heading, if you wish.)

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #19
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Once the sale's over, I'll move it back to the Kindle Forum, where it'll be a better fit. (I can also change the Subject Heading, if you wish.)

Don
(Moderator)
Sure! Whatever you think fits the discussion best. "My daughter now has a Kindle" or something like that.

Cheers!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As I mentioned, I was one of those "Nothing can match the feel of a REAL BOOK!" types. For whatever reason the Nook STwGlowlight won me over. I bought it, brought it home and after watching me read on it for a half hour or so, my better half (who initially thought 'great, another gadget') said "I want one of those!" We bought hers the next day.

The best ad for an e-reader is seeing someone use one.
Getting a hands-on demonstration from a family member who had an eink reader was what convinced me to get my first ereader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #21
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast
SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While I haven't done so the site The Digital Reader has a hack to be able to install the Google Play Store. I may do that later but right now with the exception of a couple of self published books I'd rather not read again between Amazon's own website, a Calibre' app, and two Epub reader apps I have all 5000+ ebooks I own on my Fire.

Quote:
When you are ready to move on from the Fire, I'd recommend looking into either the new Nook tablet or a regular Android tablet.

I recommend those over the Fire because it will have the Google Play Store which allows you to install both the Nook and Kindle apps. Then you'd have all your books from both stores handy.

The Fire tablet (unless you modified it) relies on the Amazon app store, which does not let you install the Nook app.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy1964 View Post
...between Amazon's own website, a Calibre' app, and two Epub reader apps I have all 5000+ ebooks I own on my Fire.
Right on. You're more technically proficient than I'd assumed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #23
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast

I may normally be a late adopter of tech but once I do go for it I go for it in a big way. The one exception so far is I haven't put any music on my phone I prefer an MP3 player due to battery life.

Quote:
Right on. You're more technically proficient than I'd assumed.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #24
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
I too have seen it in real life. And yes the definition of "A Kindle" and "A Nook" have been diluted by their tablets. Some people will never know the beauty of e-ink as a result, but I am so glad to be getting a new PW!
My very own blood relatives :-0 "Why would you want to read in black & white? It looks like a newspaper." I try to explain that's exactly the reason. They're not there yet, they don't get it.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Sure! Whatever you think fits the discussion best. "My daughter now has a Kindle" or something like that.

Cheers!

Now moved to the Kindle Forum, along with your title change.

Thanks!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
My very own blood relatives :-0 "Why would you want to read in black & white? It looks like a newspaper." I try to explain that's exactly the reason. They're not there yet, they don't get it.
I just helped a neighbor get a Kindle Fire during the sale and I set it up for her yesterday. We sat on her sofa as I showed her how to do a few simple things with it. As soon as I turned it on she realized her overhead light was off and wanted to turn it on so she could see the screen. I explained that it has it's own light just like her TV. She said it's obviously nothing like a TV and got up and turned on the light.

People react in funny ways to things they don't understand yet.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
This is a great share. Thanks for the positive note. Nice to read something that makes you smile. Getting very rare these days.

Quote:
I don't know where to post this, I hope it's an appropriate forum. But this black Friday sale with the Canadian Paperwhite being $99 (the lowest I've personally seen it in Canadian pricing), enticed me to buy it.

I then instantly de-registered my current PW and gave it to my adult daughter (adult high functioning but on the autism spectrum, among other milder disability) along with a starter budget via gift certificate so she could buy and download whatever books she wants on it, and she is having the time of her life.

She likes it better than the other e-reader I had bought for her many years ago (A sony prs-t2) she loves how convenient it is to buy books and to be able to send herself some other ebooks she happened to have from other sources (MR library, Gutenberg and Smashwords etc) by mailing them to herself so she doesn't have to plug in a USB each and every time. She loves the lighting so she can read at night, and the cover she has on it is "auto sleep" so its opened up a whole new world for her.

I appreciate Kindle for making nice quality kindles in the "lower end" accessible to those of us who have to make a small budget stretch.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I am happy for your daughter! I would have killed for an ereader when I was younger. That is why my old readers magically tend to fall into younger hands when I'm done with them.

It's hard to believe that some parents object to e-readers. Reading in any form is a huge win for kids in this day and age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I am happy for your daughter! I would have killed for an ereader when I was younger. That is why my old readers magically tend to fall into younger hands when I'm done with them.

It's hard to believe that some parents object to e-readers. Reading in any form is a huge win for kids in this day and age.

Some parents object to their kids having any schooling.
I am not talking about the home schoolers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #30
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

Parents objecting to e-readers? I imagine it must be because some parents don't understand e-readers and what they are/do. I can't imagine a parent not allowing their child to have a standalone e-reader, only unless they can't afford it.

My children are all grown (mostly, youngest is 16) and my oldest daughter is the recipient of this kindle (age 27) and she loves it. more to read and independent ways to be entertained.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote