Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #15346
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just finished Warren Ellis' Gun Machine. Great characters—especially John Tallow. It strayed just enough from the traditional "procedural" to keep it from getting clinical; but not so much that it crossed the line into artsy-fartsy either. A unique and engaging style of writing throughout, I thought. It might get a skosh too tidy at the end, but hey!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #15347
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
I finished Jack Reacher's first book (Lee Child I should say). If you like violence you will like it. I didn't care for it.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #15348
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Shadow Divers on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	divers.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	99720  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #15349
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
With all the Winter's Bone talk and remembering how much i liked the film, I've started the book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #15350
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Whilst recovering from dental procedures amidst enforced rest, I channel surfed onto TCM - John Huston's masterful "Moby Dick" - from 1956 I believe. Screenplay by Ray Bradbury.

Which incited me to begin my umpteenth re-read of Moby Dick - which, along with H2G2, is my most re-read book. I discover new bits of fun & profundity with every read, and realize just how funny this book is - as well as deeply human. The language can soar & fly, as well as bore you to tears. I truly enjoy each encounter with this watery world.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #15351
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Now reading the first of the non-Parker Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch novels, "Ironhorse", a sequel to "Brimstone", "Resolution", and "Appaloosa". It's not bad, but it's not Robert B. by a long chalk.
I knew books were still going to be churned out with his name on them, but I had no idea Virgil and Everett were going to keep going.

I'll probably pass on them, but my father may be interested.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #15352
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I knew books were still going to be churned out with his name on them, but I had no idea Virgil and Everett were going to keep going.

I'll probably pass on them, but my father may be interested.
I'll pass as well. They weren't my favourite Parker's when he wrote them, can't see spending energy on the imitation. I've got more than enough books in my TBR without adding these.

Finishing up a re-read of Ghost Ship, preparatory to reading the final version of Necessity's Child. Meanwhile, working through the C. J. Cherryh Foreigner series on Audible and eBook when they are available. I read the Foreigner books as they were released over the years, and this is the first time going through them in a concentrated pass. I'm getting a lot more out of them. (And they make good listens while I swim or ride the stationary bike. They keep my interest enough to make me want to work out longer, which is the point. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #15353
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Don't make friends with an elephant trainer unless you have space in your living room for an elephant.

You may find it necessary to read ALL the Jeffery Deaver novels before next Wednesday...

I wish I hadn't read them, just so I could read them again without know all the twists and turns. As it is, I've re-read them all AT LEAST twice...

Stitchawl
Thanks for the warning! The title was available at the library (ebook).

Only 30 pagers in and just introduced to Lincoln.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #15354
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Whilst recovering from dental procedures amidst enforced rest, I channel surfed onto TCM - John Huston's masterful "Moby Dick" - from 1956 I believe. Screenplay by Ray Bradbury.

Which incited me to begin my umpteenth re-read of Moby Dick - which, along with H2G2, is my most re-read book. I discover new bits of fun & profundity with every read, and realize just how funny this book is - as well as deeply human. The language can soar & fly, as well as bore you to tears. I truly enjoy each encounter with this watery world.
I took an American Lit class back when i was in undergrad at UNC that was actually just us spending an entire semester on Moby Dick. I enjoyed it rather a lot more than my classmates.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #15355
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just finished Gone Girl at the strong recommendation of others. I was terribly disappointed. If I wanted to read all the ways two married people can hate one another and how they can destroy one another I'd read something Victorian.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #15356
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks for the warning! The title was available at the library (ebook).

Only 30 pagers in and just introduced to Lincoln.
The movie was interesting, but the books are absolutely incredible! However, seeing the movie first, I can only see Danzel Washington's face and voice when I try to picture Lincoln. Still works out fine!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #15357
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I love Moby Dick and the Frank Muller audiobook version is beyond awesome.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #15358
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm currently reading "When Worlds Collide", a 1933 novel by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer. I've seen the (very enjoyable) film adaptation of this several times, but until I came across the book purely by chance on Amazon I didn't know that the film was based on a book .

The plot is that a "rogue planet" is discovered by astronomers, which is going to collide with the Earth in a few months time. Civilisation starts to collapse as the news causes mass panic, and a group of scientists tries to build a spaceship which will take a few people to the new planet to start afresh.

About half way through it so far. Very enjoyable, and also nicely formatted with few errors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #15359
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Brethren by John Grisham.

Undecided whether to read Michael Connelly's new book or go back in time and read one of John D MacDonald's which were just released in eBook format. And I just noticed a strong recommendation for The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver.

Hmmm
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #15360
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Due to being more-or-less snowed in, or at least, not very keen to go anywhere in this weather, I piled through Elizabeth Moon's Hunting Party in a couple of days. I enjoyed it. It was a fairly straightforward SF adventure of the kind that Baen specialise in. It flowed well enough and kept me entertained. I'll certainly be reading the other two books in the omnibus.

There's barely anything in it that's really SF, though. I think it's beginning to bug me how backwards-looking this type of stuff really is. I'd better not read the second one until I'm back in the right mood for an undemanding adventure.

I'm planning to move on to Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein, a book I've been semi-dreading for a while. It's one of the 9 Hugo winners I have left to read - probably the one I'm least looking forward to - and will get me started on the last of my major sub-challenges this year. I seem to have the original version, not the newer extended edition. I'm hoping to have my expectations pleasantly confounded.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote