Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle 4 screens

Do you think that the new Kindle (non tablets) will have the color e-ink screen from eink.com?

I was watching some youtube videos of the new color ereader screen called the "E Ink Triton Imaging Film". It looks pretty amazing. There's one ereader product with it from Asia that has been announced with no release date.

Since the same company's current eink display is used in the Kindles, it makes sense that Kindle would try to 'blow away the competition' with something new and exciting. And they obviously have a good relationship now.

I'm wondering if it might be worth waiting a few months to see what happens with this. I don't want a LCD/tablet type device for reading but this would be awesome to have true e-paper with color.

What do you think?
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Forgot some links:

http://eink.com/display_products_triton.html

Here's a video from 10 months ago highlighting the product. Says it would be ready for 2011. Coincidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJvN29076E0

Did some google searches for 'kindle and triton'. Looks like there's a lot of people wondering the same thing.

Last edited by mr_clark; 09-19-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add comment
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no chance whatsoever of seeing colour eInk devices in the next few months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think the likelihood of a "K4" (meaning overhauled, vastly-improved, non-lcd successor to the K3) ever seeing the light of day is inversely proportional to the success of their new line of tablets.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think the likelihood of a "K4" (meaning overhauled, vastly-improved, non-lcd successor to the K3) ever seeing the light of day is inversely proportional to the success of their new line of tablets.
Oh I don't think so, the nook STR and the Nook Color seem to be co-habitating just nicely.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Oh I don't think so, the nook STR and the Nook Color seem to be co-habitating just nicely.
I didn't mean they won't continue to sell both for a long, long time. I meant they'll have very little incentive to vastly alter/improve the eInk, dedicated reader version if the tablets sell like hotcakes. Depending on what the costs would be compared to their tablets, they may never end up launching a color eInk reader.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-19-2011 at 01:41 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clark View Post
Looks like there's a lot of people wondering the same thing.
Lots of people have been wondering about ANYTHING related to the next iteration of the Kindle. And, since we're all being teased with leaks about their tablet, I can see them kinda dropping the "K4" under the radar.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
notx88
notx88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for info
notx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I don't think we'll see color eInk soon. Given the expense, lack of color intensity, and refresh rate, I don't think most people would be happy with it. With greyscale eInk, refresh is improving, and people have lower expectations. You don't get as many direct comparisons.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I don't think we'll see color eInk soon. Given the expense, lack of color intensity, and refresh rate, I don't think most people would be happy with it. With greyscale eInk, refresh is improving, and people have lower expectations. You don't get as many direct comparisons.
I agree. I'd much rather have a higher-contrast, higher-resolution greyscale eInk screen in the next eInk-based Kindle, than a lower-contrast, similar-resolution, colour eInk screen.

My Kindle 2 is currently out on loan to family, and I'm using my iPhone until I see what Amazon do/do not launch over the next few months. I hope to get a new reader sometime in the new year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote