Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Pre-loaded books

Is there any new easier way other than DB hacking to get ris of these now?
Like in Calibre or something?
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i did in calibre easy peasy.
just plugged in my kobo, clicked on device on the top bar and all of them showed up.
i highlighted them all then right click and remove books... should be that simple.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i did in calibre easy peasy.
just plugged in my kobo, clicked on device on the top bar and all of them showed up.
i highlighted them all then right click and remove books... should be that simple.
Oh nice. I bet its because I have them hidden on my reader for why they are not showing. I will try un-hiding them. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'll piggy-back on this to say, my Kobo didn't have the pre-loaded books on it. Yes, I went to display and it said "no books found" when I chose pre-loaded. Doesn't bother me because I can get anything like that I want from Gutenberg. I do wish the user guide had been included (that wasn't on there, either) but I can just download that from the Kobo site. I wonder what the 100 titles were, though...

I have had no problems getting the Gutenberg, Feedbooks, a couple of library books on loan, and a couple of books from Kobo on my device and reading them and such but I have had one other little issue. When I open ADE and plug my Kobo into my computer, I get duplicate error files of several of my (pd) books saying something about the path. I just delete the dups. The books are still there and fine and everything. I just get these error files. Weird. Not too big of a problem unless I get a lot more as I add more books.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'll piggy-back on this to say, my Kobo didn't have the pre-loaded books on it. Yes, I went to display and it said "no books found" when I chose pre-loaded. Doesn't bother me because I can get anything like that I want from Gutenberg. I do wish the user guide had been included (that wasn't on there, either) but I can just download that from the Kobo site. I wonder what the 100 titles were, though...

I have had no problems getting the Gutenberg, Feedbooks, a couple of library books on loan, and a couple of books from Kobo on my device and reading them and such but I have had one other little issue. When I open ADE and plug my Kobo into my computer, I get duplicate error files of several of my (pd) books saying something about the path. I just delete the dups. The books are still there and fine and everything. I just get these error files. Weird. Not too big of a problem unless I get a lot more as I add more books.
i think there's a section here where you can get the sql database file with the 100 preloaded, i could be wrong.
also i have experienced that with ade as well where i'd get duplicates and just manually deleted them, have since stopped using ade to load or sync with my kobo. it's strictly calibre for me now, way easier. i just download the books i buy using ade then add them to my calibre library and load em onto the kobo, everything seems to be in working order...for now !
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i think there's a section here where you can get the sql database file with the 100 preloaded, i could be wrong.
also i have experienced that with ade as well where i'd get duplicates and just manually deleted them, have since stopped using ade to load or sync with my kobo. it's strictly calibre for me now, way easier. i just download the books i buy using ade then add them to my calibre library and load em onto the kobo, everything seems to be in working order...for now !
Probably so. I'm not too worried about that because Gutenberg. I have started used Calibre and I certain don't have that problem in Calibre. It is much superior to ADE but I still get the dups, even after deleting all the books from ADE except for my two library books. The dups are actually showing up on the Kobo in ADE, not in the ADE library. You know how you can click on your Kobo in ADE to see what is on it?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Probably so. I'm not too worried about that because Gutenberg. I have started used Calibre and I certain don't have that problem in Calibre. It is much superior to ADE but I still get the dups, even after deleting all the books from ADE except for my two library books. The dups are actually showing up on the Kobo in ADE, not in the ADE library. You know how you can click on your Kobo in ADE to see what is on it?
i think i know what you mean.
for me whenever i synced and looked at my books on the kobo itself i'd have a few duplicates and just deleted them afterwards and everytime i deleted and reloaded books i'd get those dupes...so a factory reset and reload and no more dupes.

i did a lot of playing around the first few days and no actual reading so now i have a good system and haven't come across any problems at all.

i think i'm at 2 weeks with the kobo now so there's still plenty of time for something to come up lol. fingers crossed.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original

Got rid of the 100 pre-loaded books via calibre. Nothing in there I want to read, I am to picky.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
i think i know what you mean.
for me whenever i synced and looked at my books on the kobo itself i'd have a few duplicates and just deleted them afterwards and everytime i deleted and reloaded books i'd get those dupes...so a factory reset and reload and no more dupes.

i did a lot of playing around the first few days and no actual reading so now i have a good system and haven't come across any problems at all.

i think i'm at 2 weeks with the kobo now so there's still plenty of time for something to come up lol. fingers crossed.
Thanks so much! I did a reset and I have no more dups AND my 100 books showed up. Cool.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
C B
C B began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi,

Anyone have a way of avoiding mixing your books with the extremely annoying 100 free books?

I've had to send my KOBO back twice to tech support and it keeps coming back with the same problem....my books don't show up in the I'm Reading area..they only show up in the Books area and are all mixed in with the always annoying 100 freebies. I have a Kindle as well and have had not difficulties with it whatsoever. Unfortunately, some of the books I'd like are only available in Canada on the Kobo instead of via Amazon.

Does anyone have a solution for the KOBO I'm Reading issue?
C B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by C B View Post
Hi,

Anyone have a way of avoiding mixing your books with the extremely annoying 100 free books?

I've had to send my KOBO back twice to tech support and it keeps coming back with the same problem....my books don't show up in the I'm Reading area..they only show up in the Books area and are all mixed in with the always annoying 100 freebies. I have a Kindle as well and have had not difficulties with it whatsoever. Unfortunately, some of the books I'd like are only available in Canada on the Kobo instead of via Amazon.

Does anyone have a solution for the KOBO I'm Reading issue?
yep. in the posts above are all your answers.
you can hide the 100 books by using the main menu and there's an option to hide preloaded books.
or you can delete them all using calibre.

the mixing is going to happen with any books, there is no way to categorize them, just by letter.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
lg777
lg777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I'm bringing this up again because I wanted to simply copy these pre-loaded books off to an sd card. I saved to disk but they seem to be in some weird coded archive file and when you open it up, it has a directory structure with html but not readable. How is Kobo reading this and what format are these books in? They seem to be gotten from Project Gutenberg. Just don't want to go through the entire list of books to download them.
lg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg777 View Post
I'm bringing this up again because I wanted to simply copy these pre-loaded books off to an sd card. I saved to disk but they seem to be in some weird coded archive file and when you open it up, it has a directory structure with html but not readable. How is Kobo reading this and what format are these books in? They seem to be gotten from Project Gutenberg. Just don't want to go through the entire list of books to download them.
Pretty sure it's a SQLite database.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In the original firmware release it was SQLite; now in current firmwares they are individual files; however, the files are not standard ePub's; rather it's a format we call KePub (actually a zip file with most of the content encrypted).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
In the original firmware release it was SQLite; now in current firmwares they are individual files; however, the files are not standard ePub's; rather it's a format we call KePub (actually a zip file with most of the content encrypted).
kepub is described in the wiki. However, ePUB files will also work directly without be converted to kepub. I usually load epub on an SD card to leave more room for kepub on the internal memory.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote