Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #46
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And that's why people who favor eInk aren't the target market for this device.

This will sell to the masses; not to avid readers.
I think you sum it up well, tubemonkey.

It's not for me, but I can hear some people I know Ooohing and ahhing over it already just for the pizazz at a lower price.

I'm not exactly sure why someone would go this direction, when they could go full android tablet...?

Especially not before it's been out long enough to know it's stable.

I do hope it works out well. I want B&N to succeed. Competition is good to have for all products.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #47
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
One thing I won't do is to make the mistake of being an early adopter of this new technology. I got Nook-burned once, never again.
You got burned by the original nook? Well I guess the early firmware was pretty rough, but they fixed all of that awhile back. You couldn't get me to give up my nook for a kindle. The original nook is a fantastic device and I like this color option for people that might want something like the iPad for books, but don't want to deal with the iPad price tag.

I like my eink Nook and will probably stick with it, but this looks like a great option for a color device. I currently use my nook and iPod touch as my reading combo, but I'm definitely going to be tempted to replace the iPod for reading with the nook color.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #48
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I'm really happy that my new nook is now more alive than ever, if they would go with a nook 2 with a pearl screen I would be so mad LOL

I'm not going to buy this but the price is really tempting and sure many people would jump on this.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
The Engaget video ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/n...irst-hands-on/ ) shows some concerning issues regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen. Might be down to the screen itself, relatively weak hardware or poorly-optimised firmware.

If they don't sort this issue before release it will kill the fun of using a modern tablet device.

There was something odd going on with the refresh rate of the screen, too, although there's a chance that was down to a poor-quality camera being used to film, resulting in 'rolling shutter.'
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #50
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
When I saw this, the first thing I thought was " I wonder what they'll say at Mobile Read.". I personally thin B&N blew it. They've gone with what is just another Android tablet, but without the ability to add apps and with terrible battery life. They're no longer competing with Kindle, they're competing with iPad, and this one ain't going to do it. Kindle will continue to dominate the eink market and this will be just one of many failed Android tablets. Eventually someone will come up with competition for the iPad, but the Color Nook is not up to the task.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
You got burned by the original nook? Well I guess the early firmware was pretty rough, but they fixed all of that awhile back. You couldn't get me to give up my nook for a kindle. The original nook is a fantastic device and I like this color option for people that might want something like the iPad for books, but don't want to deal with the iPad price tag.

I like my eink Nook and will probably stick with it, but this looks like a great option for a color device. I currently use my nook and iPod touch as my reading combo, but I'm definitely going to be tempted to replace the iPod for reading with the nook color.
The original Nook is fine for reading, if that's all you're going to do with it, but I've always been one for underlining and taking notes. The Nook is a poor choice for that. The menus are cumbersome, and there's no way to transfer the notes you've made and the passages you've copied to a PC. Thanks, but I'll stick with my Kindle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
The Engaget video ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/n...irst-hands-on/ ) shows some concerning issues regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen. Might be down to the screen itself, relatively weak hardware or poorly-optimised firmware.

If they don't sort this issue before release it will kill the fun of using a modern tablet device.

There was something odd going on with the refresh rate of the screen, too, although there's a chance that was down to a poor-quality camera being used to film, resulting in 'rolling shutter.'
Looked pretty good to me.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Here's something I found on the B&N website that might interest writers:

"Create, edit and view Microsoft® Office files including Word, Excel and PowerPoint."

Now I am tempted! I wonder when they'll be in the stores for a hand-on trial?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #54
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
This does appeal to me in several ways.

1) I do need color for some of the color schematics that I use.
2) The way that it handles skimming magazines looks very interesting. If it'll do that with magazines from other sources I'd be quite interested. But the only technical magazines I'd be interested in would not be available from B&N.
3) My first reader was back lit. Dim down the screen and the lights. Relax.

The GALAXY Tab would do for me, but the price is a killer. Besides, who needs a 7 inch phone?

Other people have other needs and preferences. I need two devices, and if they can both be used to read all the better.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
...2) The way that it handles skimming magazines looks very interesting. If it'll do that with magazines from other sources I'd be quite interested. But the only technical magazines I'd be interested in would not be available from B&N....
That's my problem with the magazines offered for ereaders. Most of the ones I'm really interested in aren't available for ereaders.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
1) I do need color for some of the color schematics that I use.
This has the makings to be a great tablet for do-it-yourselfers. All your hobbies and projects in one convenient device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #57
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Thanks, Richey79, for the llink. Very good find.
================================================== ======================

So it's not a finnished product yet. I remember how despirate B&N were to ship out the origional before last Christmas. And personaly I think that it stunk! The great thing is that the've been abble to make it a good reader without leaving the original buyers stuck.

I think that it looks promising.

But I did laugh at the way he TOTALY skirted the request to see the internet in action.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #58
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hmmm......nice.

I don't need/want the color, but I'm thinking those people still on the fence will jump on this....

I would imagine it would be great for magazines and manga?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
But you don't need color with Manga, the current Nook.... or any other e-reader for that matter, would suit fine for manga.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #59
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I'm a Kindle fan, but I've been looking for a PDF reader, and this seems to fit the bill.

Tiny question: Would BN let Amazon port the Android version of the Kindle app to it?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #60
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I'm a Kindle fan, but I've been looking for a PDF reader, and this seems to fit the bill.

Tiny question: Would BN let Amazon port the Android version of the Kindle app to it?
I doubt it... All the bookstores count on follow up ebook sales for profit. It's a user friendly idea, just not a profit friendly one!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote