Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
format of Saved Searches file

I have about 150 search and replace pairs and I'm trying to put them into the sigil_searches.ini file manually. Everything is working out fine, except the replace field includes unicode characters (e.g. āīūḷṇṭḍṁṅ) and they are converting to some sort of hex codes. That wouldn't be a problem, except that they aren't converting correctly. For example ū becomes \xc5 in the file and then shows up as Å« in the saved search dialogue.

Sorry if it seems I don't know what I'm talking about. Because I don't

I hope someone can tell me what I might be doing wrong.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
[stealing your thread] I would like to go the other way Sigil -> Calibre

A Import / Export plugin please
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
[stealing your thread] I would like to go the other way Sigil -> Calibre

Steal away... But I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps my OP wasn't clear. What does this have to do with calibre? Or are you talking about having a way to export saved searches into Calibre. Pardon my ignorance. I didn't even know that Calibre had a saved search feature.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
Steal away... But I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps my OP wasn't clear. What does this have to do with calibre? Or are you talking about having a way to export saved searches into Calibre. Pardon my ignorance. I didn't even know that Calibre had a saved search feature.
Precisely! I started with Sigil 0.99 so I have quite a catalog of S&R templates.

I use Sigil for my base edits, then switch to Calibre for debug, clean the CSS.
Its a toss, for using the toolbag
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
That wouldn't be a problem, except that they aren't converting correctly. For example ū becomes \xc5 in the file and then shows up as Å« in the saved search dialogue.
Hmmm, I'll have to poke around in the Saved Searches ini again. I haven't looked in a while (very rarely have to transfer these files over, and rarely use accented characters in them).

The thing I do recall was there being a bug with line endings (?) between the Windows/Mac versions... but that was years and years ago (may have been fixed by now).

Quote:
Steal away... But I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps my OP wasn't clear. What does this have to do with calibre? Or are you talking about having a way to export saved searches into Calibre. Pardon my ignorance.
Yes, that's what theducks meant. He just wishes there was a way for you to be able to Import/Export Saved Searches between Sigil<->Calibre too.

Quote:
I didn't even know that Calibre had a saved search feature.
Yep, it's under View > Saved Searches.

When the Calibre Editor was created, Kovid did a fantastic job of porting pretty much every functionality from Sigil over.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I have about 150 search and replace pairs and I'm trying to put them into the sigil_searches.ini file manually.
You'll need to replace all accented characters with hexadecimal Unicode codes:

Code:
ā \x101
ī \x12b
ū \x16b
ḷ \x1e37
ṇ \x1e47
For example to replace Krishna with Kṛṣṇa you'd use:

Code:
1\Name=Krishna
1\Find=Krishna
1\Replace=K\x1e5b\x1e63\x1e47\x61
(For some odd reason the last "a" also needed to be encoded as a hexadecimal character. Maybe @KevinH or @DiapDealer can shed some light on this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The problem with this idea is that Calibre saves additional information with each entry (case_sensitive, mode, dot_all) that would be lost if you converted it to the Sigil Saved Searches format.

For example, the above search looks like this in tweak_book_gui.json:

Code:
{
  "searches": [
    {
      "case_sensitive": false, 
      "dot_all": false, 
      "find": "Krishna", 
      "mode": "normal", 
      "name": "Krishna", 
      "replace": "Kṛṣṇa"
    }
  ], 
  "version": 1}
Importing Sigil seaved searches into Calibre Editor should be relatively easy for a Calibre programmer. @kovidgoyal might even add this as a feature to Calibre Editor if enough users ask for it.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You'll need to replace all accented characters with hexadecimal Unicode codes:

Code:
ā \x101
ī \x12b
ū \x16b
ḷ \x1e37
ṇ \x1e47
For example to replace Krishna with Kṛṣṇa you'd use:

Code:
1\Name=Krishna
1\Find=Krishna
(For some odd reason the last "a" also needed to be encoded as a hexadecimal character. Maybe @KevinH or @DiapDealer can shed some light on this.)
So, I think there is an issue with using two different forms of the hex codes. In your example, beautiful as it is, it is a solid string of hex codes. without being followed by anoter hex code, how does the software know that some of the hex are 3 digit and some are 4?

Is there some way to wrap the codes so it is clear where they start and stop?

Again, sorry if I am using wrong terminology.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So, I think there is an issue with using two different forms of the hex codes. In your example, beautiful as it is, it is a solid string of hex codes. without being followed by anoter hex code, how does the software know that some of the hex are 3 digit and some are 4?

Is there some way to wrap the codes so it is clear where they start and stop?

Again, sorry if I am using wrong terminology.
Quote:
The \x starts the hex code string. A non-hex character ends it. In the sample used, since a is a valid hex character, it had to be replaced by it's equivalent hex representation or the the last character would have been seen as \x1e47a and likely treated as an invalid character. Leading zeros are not normally typed so \x61 instead of \x0061. The copyright sign (©) as \xa9 instead \x00a9 or a capital A macron (Ā) as \x100 instead of \x0100.

Hmmm... time to quit since my eyes are glazing over.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
@DNSB is correct. There's not "two different" forms of hex codes being used.

As far as manually creating these files ... more power to you, but that wasn't really taken into consideration when the Saved Searches feature was first implemented. The actual creation of the file is handled by Qt in such a way that the same code will work in cross-platform situations. But since Qt automatically handles things like line endings, it's not likely that a file created on one platform will always be 100% compatible with Sigil on another platform.

I will look to see how Qt creates the file, though. Perhaps something in python could be done to change unicode into the hex representation that Sigil expects the file to be in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This link might be relevant:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...e-unicode-well

So we could set the encoding for the ini file to be utf-8, and as long as it still groks the ascii with hex codes on input, we should be okay to use that. It will definitely make the ini more user editable.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
and as long as it still groks the ascii with hex codes on input, we should be okay to use that.
That's the sticking point as I see it. I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't invalidate preexisting files with hex codes. Are you talking about only making the change for this particular preference file (to be safe)?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was kind of thinking about doing that for all ini files again as long as it still can grok the ascii/hex code on input. I just like users to be able to read, understand, and even edit all of their Sigil ini files if they so desire.

Alternatively we could all pretty easily create a short python app to convert all Sigil ini files to be utf-8 encoded if needed (a one-time tool) or even add code to Sigil itself if need be to do the conversion.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not opposed at all to more human-readable preference files. I just don't want users to have to manually do anything special before installing the latest Sigil update to safeguard their current preferences. Preference continuity on upgrades just isn't something they've ever had to worry about in the past.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Agreed. The first thing to check is if an ini file is set to be utf-8 encoded, can it still handle hex escapes.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Agreed. The first thing to check is if an ini file is set to be utf-8 encoded, can it still handle hex escapes.
True. We may have nothing to worry about.