Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
OldChinaHam
OldChinaHam began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Smile I Cannot Find My Kindle File To Read With Calibre!

Today, I wanted to throw my device out the window.
But then I realized the fault was not with the Nexus 7 2013,
But with the BloodSuking Amazon Kindle Crowd over at Amazon!

PLEASE HELP, ANYONE:

1. I just purchased a Kindle Book
2. I delivered to both my Nexus 7 and my Samsung S3
3. But i do not want to use Kindle for Android.
4. I want to use the app I purchased for Calibre

Anyway, the first step is to try to locate the downloaded Kindle file.
But which directory is it in? I cannot find it using the ES search for Android.

I know this is intentional on the part of Amazon, and this is why I am so pissed.
I just want to buy an ebook, and then use it on any reader I choose.

What a GD joke is Amazon! And, Kindle!
What nonsense, to buy a Kindle in the first place, and i think one must be demented to do so!

The people at cuss service at Amazon are totally unhelpful, and are idiots perhaps, although I should never say so if they really were.

Anyway, what can I do to avoid this whole problem in the future.

WHY CANNOT I JUST BUY THESE BOOKS TROUGH CALIBRE???

Because I love Calibre's reader, and it is opensource.
And I would like to buy through Calibre if Calibre could get a commission on sales, because I like to support great software!!!!

So.
Thank You One and All!

OCH
OldChinaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Even once you've found the file, you're not going to be able to do much with it because of the DRM on it.

I suggest you install Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC, and google for Apprentice Alf.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
OldChinaHam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Even once you've found the file, you're not going to be able to do much with it because of the DRM on it.

I suggest you install Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC, and google for Apprentice Alf.
Thank you.
I am all for opensource software, whenever possible.

I just wish to use Calibre to read all ebooks.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChinaHam View Post
Thank you.
I am all for opensource software, whenever possible.

I just wish to use Calibre to read all ebooks.
Since detailed discussion of DRM removal is not permitted at MobileRead, I can do no more than to urge you to follow my suggestion, at least the second half.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Any ebookstore mobile app will, I believe, store your books in an obfuscated cache.

Fortunately, they will also all offer a Desktop program for reading as well, through which you can access the real ebook file.

Download Kindle4PC, register to you account, download your books through the app. Retrieve your books from My Documents\My Kindle Content\.

As stated, many book have DRM, rendering them unreadable regardless; for help in cracking the DRM we can do no more than suggest googling Apprentice Alf.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2014 at 02:51 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There's a calibre app for Android?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
There's a calibre app for Android?
Not a free app, but yes. Calibre companion, 2.99 in the play store.
tidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidegirl View Post
... which is NOT a reader app.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
... which is NOT a reader app.
Which was my actual question, I should have been more specific. I have the companion app, though I admit I haven't used it in ages. I prefer my eink readers to my Nexus 7.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Which was my actual question, I should have been more specific. I have the companion app, though I admit I haven't used it in ages. I prefer my eink readers to my Nexus 7.
And here I thought that went without saying. Since the OP specifically mentioned reading with the open-source calibre. None of which describes CC or the other android app (name forgotten) which uses a dropboxed Calibre Library.

You were specific enough to be understood if taken in context with the statement you were responding to.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
OldChinaHam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidegirl View Post
I bought the Calibre Companion before I figured out how to unDRM the Kindle ebook files.
I just really like Calibre and am happy to pay for this.
I believe in free software, not free beer, or no cost software.

Now, through the help of those posting above, I have finally begun to read Kindle ebook purchases with Calibre. TKS.

Also, may I say that Kindle is Krap, krap.

"krap" is the polite particle of speech in Thai.
But when thinking of Kindle, I just can't be very polite.
I really do not like Kindle, nor the company!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle is fine, and works great. Just because you don't like it (and apparently don't even own one), doesn't mean that it is "krap".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChinaHam View Post
I bought the Calibre Companion before I figured out how to unDRM the Kindle ebook files.
I just really like Calibre and am happy to pay for this.
I believe in free software, not free beer, or no cost software.
Free/Open/Whatever... You're not going to be able to read anything with Calibre Companion. Period. Thar's not what it's for.

Quote:
Now, through the help of those posting above, I have finally begun to read Kindle ebook purchases with Calibre. TKS.
No. You haven't. Once again ... the Calibre Companion Android app isn't (nor does it have) a reader. You have to be reading them with something else on Android.

Quote:
Also, may I say that Kindle is Krap, krap.

"krap" is the polite particle of speech in Thai.
But when thinking of Kindle, I just can't be very polite.
I really do not like Kindle, nor the company!
I hear Kobo makes Android reading software.

By the way, your Kindle ebook files are probably in or around the same place they are on every Android device: "/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files".

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-20-2014 at 09:00 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote