Notices

Old 07-10-2020, 03:27 AM   #1
stuvning
stuvning began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 not connecting to 3G

Hey everyone!
New to the site here.

I'm trying to get my old Kindle 2 working (Serial starting with B003).

The problem being it won't connect to 3G. Turning on wireless results in the signal indicator appearing and disappearing after which wireless is turned off again. I've updated it to the latest version 2.5.8 and updated Amazon services.
Also read about trying to change provider manually by typing "311" in settings but nothing happens? Typing "611" displays "Sorry - WAN info is not available at this time"

The Kindle is not registered anymore since I considered selling it way back.
I'm in Sweden if that is any help?
Mostly trying to get it working for fun, so no big deal if it is not possible
stuvning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Leave it running with 3G on if the date is 1970 rather than now. About 24 to 36 hours and it will update time & date, then may work. Registration won't work if date is wrong. The Kindle is a bit crippled if not Registered.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
stuvning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Leave it running with 3G on if the date is 1970 rather than now. About 24 to 36 hours and it will update time & date, then may work. Registration won't work if date is wrong. The Kindle is a bit crippled if not Registered.
Unfortuneately I cant leave it running with 3G on, after about a minute it turns back off.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvning View Post
Unfortuneately I cant leave it running with 3G on, after about a minute it turns back off.
Maybe the battery is too weak to keep that 3G modem turned on.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Leave the charger connected?
If the cell is more than 8 years old it's likely pretty poor.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
stuvning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Leave the charger connected?
If the cell is more than 8 years old it's likely pretty poor.
I'll give it a try, though the battery is fully charged and will hold a charge for multiple weeks.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll give it a try, though the battery is fully charged and will hold a charge for multiple weeks.
I am in the US and have both a K2 (3G is from Sprint) and a DXG (3G is from AT&T). 3G was working fine on the DXG a few weeks ago and it has been a long time since I connected (or did anything) with the K2.

I just tried with the K2 and the symptoms were as you described (turn on 3G and it immediately goes off). I turned on the DXG and same thing. Then I checked the K2 again and it was connected with 3 bars. I went back to the DXG and it was connected with 1 bar. Back to K2 and still 3 bars. DXG now 5 bars.

Meanwhile, the K2, still on charger, went to sleep. Turned it back on, it woke up not connected, then the 3G flashed on and immediately back off, then quickly connected at 4 bars.

So, I think your best bet is to leave it on charger for a few days.

Are you sure amazon still has a contract with whoever provides 3G for Kindles in Sweden and that carrier still has service in your area?
Old 07-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Do you still HAVE 3G in Sweden? Everybody except AT&T has discontinued it here in US. AT&T (US) was shutting 3g down in January 2021, but it's been extended because of COVID. Other carriers have already dumped it. The only reason why AT&T kept it this long is because there are still a lot of medical devices that rely on it.
If all else fails, try this. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DuokanDon't know if it works with D2 though.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
https://www.westbase.io/3g-sunset-in...ur-next-steps/
Quote:
Three and Vodafone (Europe-wide) have confirmed that they are aiming to switch off 3G networks by 2020,

Sweden Telenor will start their 3G sunset as early as 2020 but will continue until 2025, with coverage still promised in rural areas until this date
bernie

Quote:
Hey everyone!
New to the site here.

I'm trying to get my old Kindle 2 working (Serial starting with B003).

The problem being it won't connect to 3G. Turning on wireless results in the signal indicator appearing and disappearing after which wireless is turned off again. I've updated it to the latest version 2.5.8 and updated Amazon services.
Also read about trying to change provider manually by typing "311" in settings but nothing happens? Typing "611" displays "Sorry - WAN info is not available at this time"

The Kindle is not registered anymore since I considered selling it way back.
I'm in Sweden if that is any help?
Mostly trying to get it working for fun, so no big deal if it is not possible
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Do you still HAVE 3G in Sweden? Everybody except AT&T has discontinued it here in US.
K2 uses Sprint.

My K2 still connects to athe amazon store.
Quote:
If all else fails, try this. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DuokanDon't know if it works with D2 though.
Several top people in the Kindle Developer's Corner say to stay as far as possible from Duokan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
https://www.westbase.io/3g-sunset-in...ur-next-steps/

Three and Vodafone (Europe-wide) have confirmed that they are aiming to switch off 3G networks by 2020,

"Sweden Telenor will start their 3G sunset as early as 2020 but will continue until 2025, with coverage still promised in rural areas until this date"

bernie
So, still ambiguous in this case.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
The "latest" I've found regarding 3g is that Verizon will kill 3g at the end of 2020; may be postponed as a possibility since it was postpone from the end of 2019. AT&T will kill 3g in Feb 2022; unknown for sprint.

The big thing is that the infrastructure is being shutdown gradually as some 3g towers have been decommissioned so access to 3g is haphazard or non-existent.

My remote pacemaker monitor is a 3g device & the connecting took a VERY long time in June; guess the close towers may have gotten shutdown.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
stuvning

I'll try leaving the Kindle connected to a charger for a few days and see what happens. 3G is still available in Sweden, though I don't know trough which carriers exactly. Will report back in a few days, thanks in advance!