Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Also, along with ebook has come the rise of the Indie author and REALLY CHEAP ebooks.

Not to mention all the free ebooks available.
Yep. And, unfortunately, a lot of them aren't very good. I've come to that conclusion after reading quite a few of these free and cheap books from Amazon. I haven't downloaded one of my free Prime books in about six months. I go to Overdrive instead. Mostly I use Amazon for inexpensive reprint books (on history or religion) not for novels.
I've picked up a bunch of books by Raymond Chandler, Steinbeck, Amy Tan, Richard Matheson, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc. for $1.99 or less. I'd say they were very good books.

Maybe I just have lower standards than you.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've picked up a bunch of books by Raymond Chandler, Steinbeck, Amy Tan, Richard Matheson, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc. for $1.99 or less. I'd say they were very good books.

Were those every day prices or special sale prices?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #63
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Thanks, very interesting. I am one of the boomers who gets everything via ebooks, cause I don't have to leave the house, and I can increase the font if I wake up the middle of the night and want to read.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #64
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Setting 9.99 for the entire NYT's best seller list all the time is way beyond “loss leader” and clearly was mentioned as a money losing strategy in the law suit.

It was such an anti-competitive program that all, of the big 5 publishers went to war over it. Apple refused to enter the market if Amazon was going to be allowed to sell all of the best sellers at a loss.

Amazon could have maintained the $9.99 price...but the books would have been time windowed...just like the paper back version has never come out during the new book high demand time window.

Amazon chose, AMAZON CHOSE, to accept publisher pricing rather than have their enooks time windowed. Clearly Amazon knew that most of the sales happen during the new book time window just as Apple new that it wasn’t worth becoming an ebook retailer of Amazon set the price at the “lose money” level.

Cote ruled against the Apple and the Publishers....but left Amazon's anti-competitive practice untouched. You can’t collide as a remedy to anti-competitive behavior. They should have sued Amazon. But.....look at Samsung....it’s well worth the billion dollar fine years from now in order to copy your way into a leadership position in the mean time.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #65
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

At least you're snarkier than I am. That's basically what I buy on Amazon, stuff that goes on sale (i.e., you can't say, "Hey I want to buy Lord of the Rings today" and expect it will be priced at $1.99 at Amazon today, ditto in reference to the other authors) — or I buy classics that are in the Public Domain that have been "cleaned up."

What I was actually talking about is the stuff that Amazon sells cheap or puts on their Unlimited or free Prime reading lists. Most of that is basically "you get what you don't pay for." I thought I was pretty clear about what I was talking about in my original post.

(Dang, that "snarky" thing is catching.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #66
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by not reading View Post
I would add salary, space, overhead etc. related to operations, warehouse, and shipping teams.

The financing cost of physical books, physical space, staff, etc. is a major "hidden" expense. That is a bit tricky to estimate (there is financing from vendors, from banks, from equity owners).

These days financing costs are relatively cheap by historic standards, but have a lot of runway to rise very quickly. Also, I don't think banks and investors are scrambling to invest in the publishing industry, so publishers will pay high financing rates if they can find people who want to extend loans or equity.
Penguin Random House had the best first half of 2019 in 12 years. The major publishers aren't hurting for money. Audiobooks are the big growth industry right now.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #67
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Honestly, I took to ebooks like a duck to water.

In my job, I traveled extensively, Hawaii to Puerto Rico, all of the US & Canada, sometimes to Europe.

When I traveled I always had four or five paperbacks, or more if the trip was extended, and now I can carry hundreds if I want.

Of course, resizing fonts etc. is also great, but for me, portability was a tremendous boon.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #68
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Honestly, I took to ebooks like a duck to water.

In my job, I traveled extensively, Hawaii to Puerto Rico, all of the US & Canada, sometimes to Europe.

When I traveled I always had four or five paperbacks, or more if the trip was extended, and now I can carry hundreds if I want.

Of course, resizing fonts etc. is also great, but for me, portability was a tremendous boon.
Preach on brother! That was me for years. When I use to go on week long beach camping trips, I would carry a dozen books with me. With eBooks, I have my entire library with me at all times. Heck, now I can even recharge the reading device with a portable solar array and charging device if I'm at a primitive camp site with no electricity, all of which weighs less than 5 pounds and fits easily in one of the pockets in my backpack. Add in reading devices with batteries that both hold a charge for a long time and last a week and it don't get no better than that!
Old 01-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #69
lazyreadr
lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Ebooks aren’t only selling less than everyone predicted they would at the beginning of the decade. They also cost more than everyone predicted they would — and consistently, they cost more than their print equivalents.
I would agree that the big revolution did not come, but we are seeing kind of a slow change with some of the similar problems going on as was happening in the music / mp3 market.

On the one hand I am not sure how realistic that 20% market share is. It seems to be a sales figure and as such does not reflect the black market, which is probably substantial. mp3's were probably more downloaded illegally than ever bought. Nowadays most income of major acts comes from gigs and merchandise and not from music sales any more, which has turned into abonnement systems mostly.

I have no idea how the ratios are in the book market. But you have the same roadblocks. Either you buy into Amazons closed vendor-lock-in system. Then everything is simple and mass-market ready. Or if you don't then you need to be careful with DRM and jump through loops.

Realistically using calibre is too cumbersome for the mass-markets. And the price difference between ebooks and paperbooks is often low together with the entry price of a reader. So I am not surprised that a good part of the mass-market stays with paperbacks.

I will watch with interest how the market develops in the future. But I would not be surprised to see it going the same way down the drain as the music market.
Well "down the drain" is relative. Money is still beeing earned, just differently.
lazyreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The selling point for me RE ebooks was the immediacy. I no longer had to plan my reading. Didn't have to order ahead to have pbooks delivered. Didn't have to waste time at the local podunk library settling for titles that wouldn't have been my 3rd, 4th, 5th choices, if I had my drothers. Didn't have to plan trips to a quality bookstore--that may or may not have the books that interest me (and said bookstores were, and are, far enough away for fuel and time to be constraining factors). Didn't have to figure out which books (physical or electronic) to travel with me. I finish one book, do a little online browsing, buy something new and start reading it within minutes of finishing the last one--from anywhere in the world I choose to be. No lists, no shelves, no waiting no additional costs; just pure, free-range, on-demand reading with almost no stumbling blocks.

Yeah. Ebooks were a revolution for me. And they're not going to go away.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-01-2020 at 09:34 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #71
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The selling point for me RE ebooks was the immediacy. I no longer had to plan my reading. Didn't have to order ahead to have pbooks delivered. Didn't have to waste time at the local podunk library settling for titles that wouldn't have been my 3rd, 4th, 5th choices, if I had my drothers. Didn't have to plan trips to a quality bookstore--that may or may not have the books that interest me (and said bookstores were, and are, far enough away for fuel and time to be constraining factors). Didn't have to figure out which books (physical or electronic) to travel with me. I finish one book, do a little online browsing, buy something new and start reading it within minutes of finishing the last one--from anywhere in the world I choose to be. No lists, no shelves, no waiting no additional costs; just pure, free-range, on-demand reading with almost no stumbling blocks.

Yeah. Ebooks were a revolution for me. And they're not going to go away.
Perhaps the Title of Vox's article should have been, "Ebooks didn't turn out the way I thought they would and why I totally blame Apple and the Big 5 publishers because I was totally wrong".
Old 01-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Were those every day prices or special sale prices?
On sale of course. I don't expect The Hobbit or What We Talk About When We Talk About Love to be regularly priced at $1.99 until they hit the public domain.

But tell me, can you go into a new book store and pick up a copy of The Hobbit at that price, at any time you want? I don't remember my local B&N ever selling the book for two bucks.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-01-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
What I was actually talking about is the stuff that Amazon sells cheap or puts on their Unlimited or free Prime reading lists. Most of that is basically "you get what you don't pay for." I thought I was pretty clear about what I was talking about in my original post.
You were clear enough. But your point ignores Sturgeon's Law:

So I just had fun with your point while also showing that you can get great deals with ebooks, if you care to.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
So I just had fun with your point while also showing that you can get great deals with ebooks, if you care to.
I guess I was the one being "snarky." Sorry. I know you can get good deals waiting for a sale (or buying series bundles, etc.) and I look for these. But if new novels were still $10, the publishers would get a lot more business from me.

I wonder if anyone in the publishing business has considered selling eBook novels for $15 (or whatever the current price is) until the paperback version came out and then dropping that eBook to $10. Then those who wanted the book early (as they used to with hardbacks) could pay the higher price and those who traditionally waited for the paperback book's release could pay a "paperback" weighted price for the eBook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #75
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess I was the one being "snarky." Sorry. I know you can get good deals waiting for a sale (or buying series bundles, etc.) and I look for these. But if new novels were still $10, the publishers would get a lot more business from me.

I wonder if anyone in the publishing business has considered selling eBook novels for $15 (or whatever the current price is) until the paperback version came out and then dropping that eBook to $10. Then those who wanted the book early (as they used to with hardbacks) could pay the higher price and those who traditionally waited for the paperback book's release could pay a "paperback" weighted price for the eBook.
That's basically what they are doing. Ebooks track the current paper price, be it hard back or mass market paperback.
Uncompromising Honor - Kindle $5.99, Mass Market Paperback $5.99.
Smoke Bitten (upcoming Mercy Thompson book) preorder prices - Kindle $13.99, Hardback $19.60
Silence Fallen (previous Mercy Thompson book) Kindle - $7.99, Mass Market paper $7.57.