Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've hated auto-checkout. All it does is cause things to be checked out when whoever if getting it is not ready. For most people, the books get auto-borrowed for the full 2 or 3 weeks. And some books can sit borrowed unread for the full time. I'd rather wait an extra 2 or 3 days instead of an extra 2 or 3 weeks.

If you don't have the time for the book, you won't be borrowing it. But on auto, you will be borrowing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I don't use auto-checkout. I find that option to be BS because what it does is checkout books for the longest time possible even if the person doesn't read it. So that means books take longer to get to the next person. ...
Quote:
I've never liked auto-borrow. All it does is cause the wait list to get longer. If someone cannot be bothered to download the eBook in the time alotted then it should go to the next in line.

Quote:
Auto checkout is a horrible nasty feature. It means longer on the wait list when the person borrowing the eBook isn;t going to read it...
Quote:
I've hated auto-checkout. All it does is cause things to be checked out when whoever if getting it is not ready. ...
We get it, Jon. No need to repeat yourself. Think of how long threads would be if everyone did what you did.

Everytime someone has an opposing opinion, you do not need to post your opinion, yet again.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #48
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Do you have any evidence that significant numbers of people using auto-checkout were not actually reading the books?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Do you have any evidence that significant numbers of people using auto-checkout were not actually reading the books?
Nope. But you can borrow more books at one time then you can read. Can you read 10 books in 2 or 3 weeks? The way I look at it, if you are unable to do the checkout, then you should not get the book. Hold is there to manage what you've put on hold. I use it and it works. I do not auto-checkout. One library I have access to allows 20 loans. So if I was to use auto-checkout, I could easily get swamped if enough come in around the same time.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Depending on what sort of books they are and how much free time the person has, they may indeed be able to read 10 books in 2-3 weeks. (Someone who works 40+ hours a week reading books like War and peace? no. Retiree reading cozy mysteries? yes.)

My library allows only 6 holds and 5 checkouts so I've never been too concerned that people were abusing auto-checkout. And really, if it's so important to me to have a specific book that I just can't wait another 2-3 weeks then I would buy the book.

Back in the day before I had a smartphone I used autocheckout once or twice when I knew a held book was likely to come in while I would be out of town for a few days. I didn't have wifi access where I was staying so I couldn't use my ereader to get the book directly. And yes, I did read the book when I got home.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There's another thing some libraries have done that I disagree with is that some libraries have raised the borrow time from two weeks to three weeks. Depending where you on on the wait list, that can be weeks longer.

The issue isn't so much that we need these books now. The issue is that there are only so many slots to put books on hold.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #52
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My libraries are all 3 weeks as default, always have been that I recall.

I do wish they had some prompts about returning early when there is a wait list (say 1 email at mid-point) but otherwise I haven't had a problem. It is at least easier to return earlier now than it used to be.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I set my default loan time to 1 week. I can raise it to three if I need to, but the default is a week.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My libraries are all 3 weeks as default, always have been that I recall.

I do wish they had some prompts about returning early when there is a wait list (say 1 email at mid-point) but otherwise I haven't had a problem. It is at least easier to return earlier now than it used to be.
What I do when I go to a library online is to check the loans and if I have any that I've finished, I return them.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #55
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I do return books as soon as I'm done with them. That's just being courteous. Not all people know that the return early option is available (although, as I mentioned it is easier to find now) so a single prompt at the 1/2 or 2/3 mark might help get awareness up.

At Amazon you used to need to go to Your Kindle library online and find / return the book from there. Now you can go directly to Overdrive where you checked out the book in the first place so much more intuitive.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #56
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I do return books as soon as I'm done with them. That's just being courteous.
I agree. My Kindle Oasis has a "return book to library" option which seems to work fine. Failing that, I can access overdrive or my digital content on my computer with one click.
Redelivery also seems to be working well. I had three books become available within a couple of days of each other and took them all. When a fourth came up I was able to push it back at least a week without falling to the bottom of the list. I see that as a plus.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #57
jgneff
jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: Kobo Touch B/C, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra 2
Has anyone else had problems checking out a book on hold on a Kobo (with Overdrive support) after the auto-checkout feature was removed? Clicking the Borrow item on the Kobo to checkout a book that was on hold but ready now just gives me the preview copy of the book.

It seems from my tests that you can only borrow a book directly on the Kobo if it's available without a hold. If you hold it, and it becomes ready, there's no way to get it using just the Kobo. You can only get the EPUB copy through Adobe Editions.

Either that, or it's just some flaky thing happening with this particular book, which has happened before with other books, too.
jgneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgneff View Post
Has anyone else had problems checking out a book on hold on a Kobo (with Overdrive support) after the auto-checkout feature was removed? Clicking the Borrow item on the Kobo to checkout a book that was on hold but ready now just gives me the preview copy of the book.

It seems from my tests that you can only borrow a book directly on the Kobo if it's available without a hold. If you hold it, and it becomes ready, there's no way to get it using just the Kobo. You can only get the EPUB copy through Adobe Editions.

Either that, or it's just some flaky thing happening with this particular book, which has happened before with other books, too.
Are you using the latest firmware which is 4.20.14622? Maybe things have change and Kobo has fixed it in that firmware.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgneff View Post
For me, without auto-checkout, I have to borrow the book through the library web interface before it will synchronize to my Kobo. Basically, I click on the link in their your book is now available email and check out without downloading.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-30-2020 at 08:36 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #60
jgneff
jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: Kobo Touch B/C, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Are you using the latest firmware which is 4.20.14622? Maybe things have change and Kobo has fixed it in that firmware.
Thanks. Yes, the device has that firmware version.

Checking out a book usually works, both directly to the Kobo and when going through Adobe Digital Editions, but every so often it completely fails — mostly when the book is very popular with a long hold list, it seems (maybe).

For example, just two days ago I tried to check out Soap and Water & Common Sense, and I had both Adobe Digital Editions and my Kobo authorized with the same Adobe ID, but every time I transferred the book to my Kobo, it said that it failed authorization.

It's very frustrating because the library is probably paying for a book that I can't read! Yet when you try to debug this or ask the library for help, there are just too many players involved: my library, Overdrive, Adobe, and Kobo. None of them takes the responsibility to solve the problem.

And then the next book comes along, and it works perfectly!
jgneff is offline   Reply With Quote