Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
eurasiarc
eurasiarc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD +
Problems Reading Some Calibre Library Books Using Calibre Companion

I am having problems reading some books sent to my Nook HD Plus mobile device using Calibre Companion.

Some books, especially those in the azw3 or mobi formats, transfer fine to the Calbre companion book shelf but are not readable. When I try to read them I get a message saying that my device needs an e reader.

I already have Adilko Pro and Moon Plus readers as well as ezpdfreader on my device and one or the other of these seems to open most books sent to the device from Calbre. A few books, mostly in azw3 format, will not open unless converted to epub.

I have found that if I convert any of the files that can't be read to epub format, they can be read fine on my device without any problems. but I am wondering what happens with pagination, page or location numbering when these files have been converted to epub.

Any feedback on this question would be much appreciated

Last edited by eurasiarc; 09-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.
eurasiarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the issue is that not all applications correctly inform the Android O/S what files they can handle.

If an application can support a file type and has informed the O/S, then when you attempt to open a corresponding file type, if you have not selected a default for that file type, Android will show you all registered programs and ask you if you want to always open with that particular program, or only this time.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurasiarc View Post
...snip...

Some books, especially those in the azw3 or mobi formats, transfer fine to the Calbre companion book shelf but are not readable. When I try to read them I get a message saying that my device needs an e reader.

I already have Adilko Pro and Moon Plus readers as well as ezpdfreader on my device and one or the other of these seems to open most books sent to the device from Calbre. A few books, mostly in azw3 format, will not open unless converted to epub.

...snip...
What app are you telling CC to open the books with?

Do you have the Kindle app installed? You'll need it to try and read AZW3 (IIRC Moon+ does Mobi [maybe just the Pro version?], but I'm not sure how well)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
eurasiarc

Thanks for the ideas. I would like to use Calibre companion to organize some of my books on the Nook Hd plus tablet. I have the Kindle app for tablets, but it doesn't allow you to create book categories, folders or tags. I have hundreds of mostly free books but have a heck of a time locating them using the Kindle app which forces you to scroll down pages and pages before you find what your looking for. Could you transfer some of these books to a Kindle documents folder, but where would that be located on a a tablet device? I am also noticing that Calibre companion only gives me the option to send books to Main Memory. The choice of sending them to storage card A or B is grayed out. What does Calibre mean by "Main Memory"? How do you get calibre to tranfer books to your memory card?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am having problems reading some books sent to my Nook HD Plus mobile device using Calibre Companion.

If you want to read books on your tablet you need a reader app that supports the format you want to read. Calibre Companion (CC) is not a reading app.

Quote:
The reading apps you cite do not read azw3.

Quote:
I have found that if I convert any of the files that can't be read to epub format, they can be read fine on my device without any problems. but I am wondering what happens with pagination, page or location numbering when these files have been converted to epub.
Epub works because you have reading apps that support epub.

Epub or azw3 are reflowable formats and pagination, page and location numbering may vary depending on which device / app / font /font size you choose to use to read the books.

Quote:
Could you transfer some of these books to a Kindle documents folder, but where would that be located on a a tablet device?
Yes. I choose to read epubs so I can't help you with a location. My choice is CC combined with Moon+ Reader Pro to do all of my reading.

Quote:
I am also noticing that Calibre companion only gives me the option to send books to Main Memory.
With CC you have the option of choosing where you want your books to go.

All of the questions you asked are answered in the Calibre Companion FAQ. You might want to tap on the three dots in the top right side of CC and look around. You can gain some insight by looking through the available options under settings. Also tapping on the Help option would have led you to the FAQ I just linked to.

After reviewing the FAQ if you need any further help feel free to ask.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
As far as I know, the only app that can read azw3 is the kindle app.
Quote:
My suspicion is that unless you are forced to deal with azw3 because of DRM, you will be much happier converting them to epub.
Quote:
IIRC amazon's azw3 does have some information in the ebook to relate reading position to the page numbers in some dead-tree edition. This information will probably get lost, but as I don't use azw3 (or mobi) I don't know that for a fact.
Quote:
Could you transfer some of these books to a Kindle documents folder, but where would that be located on a a tablet device?
Amazon recently moved it. I think it is at Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files.
Quote:
I am also noticing that Calibre companion only gives me the option to send books to Main Memory. The choice of sending them to storage card A or B is grayed out. What does Calibre mean by "Main Memory"? How do you get calibre to tranfer books to your memory card?
You can tell CC to put books wherever you want. As DoctorOhh said, the process is explained in the faq. See the four questions and answers at Folders and file names (the sixth dot).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'm glad I saw this post, I'm having the same problem, I have the kindle app installed and when I select an azw3 it doesn't open. I get the message "Do you have a reader app?". But when I select a book that has a mobi extention it opens right up.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I'm glad I saw this post, I'm having the same problem, I have the kindle app installed and when I select an azw3 it doesn't open. I get the message "Do you have a reader app?". But when I select a book that has a mobi extention it opens right up.
What app opens right up? I will be surprised if it is the kindle app. I won't be surprised if it is Moon+ some other app.

I will add the new amazon folder location to CC so that CC will be willing to launch the kindle app if you tell CC to store amazon-format books there. This will not fix the problem that CC cannot tell the kindle app which book to open. All it can do is cause the kindle app to launch. The user will need to navigate to the right book.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What app opens right up? I will be surprised if it is the kindle app. I won't be surprised if it is Moon+ some other app.

I will add the new amazon folder location to CC so that CC will be willing to launch the kindle app if you tell CC to store amazon-format books there. This will not fix the problem that CC cannot tell the kindle app which book to open. All it can do is cause the kindle app to launch. The user will need to navigate to the right book.
The kindle app opens right up, it did ask me which app I preferred between moon+ or Kindle for mobi. I selected kindle and that is the app it uses to open mobi extensions.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The kindle app opens right up, it did ask me which app I preferred between moon+ or Kindle for mobi. I selected kindle and that is the app it uses to open mobi extensions.
Now I am confused. Where did you tell CC to store .mobi files? Is it the "kindle" folder? And did you tell CC to store .azw3 files in the same place?

The reason I ask is that if CC can open the kindle app for mobi, it should be able to do exactly the same thing for .azw3 as long as they are stored in the "kindle" folder with no subfolders.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
beckywc
Addict

Quote:
Now I am confused. Where did you tell CC to store .mobi files? Is it the "kindle" folder? And did you tell CC to store .azw3 files in the same place?

The reason I ask is that if CC can open the kindle app for mobi, it should be able to do exactly the same thing for .azw3 as long as they are stored in the "kindle" folder with no subfolders.
Yes, they are both assigned to the kindle folder and there are no folders. I have 3.1.0 version of CC.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, they are both assigned to the kindle folder and there are no folders. I have 3.1.0 version of CC.
There is something funny here.

All of the following was done with CC V3.1.0.

This "file manager" image shows that an azw3 file is in the "kindle" folder.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	509
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	112278
This image shows that the book is in CC

Name:	Clipboard03.png
Views:	468
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	112279
This image of CC's book details shows that the book is in the kindle folder.

Name:	Clipboard04.png
Views:	443
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	112280
And this image shows that the kindle for android app sees the book.

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	452
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	112277

When I "read" the book from CC (long-press of short-press and tap "read"), the kindle for android app is launched. I can't show this with a screen capture because there is no intermediate screen.

What are you doing that is different from the above?

BTW: Is there a reason you are still running 3.1.0? There have been two updates since then.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
beckywc
Addict

Quote:
There is something funny here.

All of the following was done with CC V3.1.0.

When I "read" the book from CC (long-press of short-press and tap "read"), the kindle for android app is launched. I can't show this with a screen capture because there is no intermediate screen.

What are you doing that is different from the above?

BTW: Is there a reason you are still running 3.1.0? There have been two updates since then.
I purchased from Amazon and they haven't updated the program.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Ok, I'm only half remembering things here because the situation did not, and could not, apply to me - I convert everything to EPUBs.

But isn't there a problem with one of the reader apps because it doesn't declare to the Android OS that it accepts a certain ebook format? As I recall it will automatically load one format (MOBI?) but totally ignores the second format (AZW?). It does work with the second format - but you have to manually load the ebook. Clicking on the second file format won't automatically launch the reader and load the book.

Again, I might be mistaken which reader app and formats this affects, but it is a known error for Android devices.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 09-27-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
eurasiarc

Thanks for all the Great Tips

Special thanks to DoctorOhh, Chaley and Becky for the elaborations here.

Here a few things I discovered.

First the AZW3 files are problematic if they have DRM. What I did was add a number of files of various types that I had put in a folder for processing by Calibre. These included some pdf files, a lot of epub files and a few My Kindle files that were mostly free books. It turns out that a few books that had been paid for and contained DRM protection got into the batch and these were the ones that couldn't be viewed after being sent to my Nook HD+ device, so I just deleted them and sent only files in formats that my readers, Moon+ and Adliko Pro can read. They seem to be able to read any mobi files but not azw files. Some Kindle Books, even some purchased ones don't have the DRM thing and get added to Calibre as mobi files.

As was pointed out, when you change a book from one format to another the pagination will be affected by the font and layout settings of the original so if you turn a mobi to epub or vice versa the pagination will be different. If you're trying to use some of these books as sources for a paper you might have to look at a print or pdf copy of the book to get page numbers.

Next, I was having a problem getting this stuff sent to my microSD card, because the highly irritating Nook software doesn't make it easy to move files from the built in memory card to the microSD. The Barnes and Noble tech support staff I spoke with didn't even know that the microSD card is accessible through the latest Android OS used on Nook devices. They told me that the only way I could get any files onto the microSD card was by connecting the device by usb cable to a PC (or MAC). They said that it would be impossible to access any files transferred to the microSD card from the Nook device itself and didn't even know how to identify the directory or folder name for the microSD.

I soon found that they didn't know what they were talking about. First I got an app called X-plore file manager. As soon as that was installed, I could easily see where the microSD card was located in the file system. It would have been very easy to copy files stored on the internal card onto the microSD. I also found that both Moon+ and Adliko reader can import book files that are stored in folders on the microSD once you know what folder they are in. They are in the folder /mnt/ext_sdcard.

All you have to do is look for sub folders of the /mmt folder which is in the root directory. Unfortunately neither first nor second level Nook support could tell me this.

The other thing to know is that because the Nook still uses its own cumbersome desktop, you can't see how files and folders are stored unless you install Google Play or non Barnes and Noble apps like Moon + or a file manager to see the folder and file structure.

As it turned out as soon as I plugged the Nook device into the USB port on my PC, Calbre was able to recognize the device and began allowing me to send files directly to the microSD card. Only after the device was connected by USB to the PC was Calibre able to recognize both the "Nook Drive" on the PC and the microSD drive on the device. That's the way I was able to get my Calibre library books onto the microSD card. I also could have copied or moved files from the device's internal card to the external microSD card, If I had used the file manager I obtained through Google Play Apps.

I still haven't figured out how to get Calibre Companion to find the external microSD card, but I will work at that.

Upshot. Moon and Adliko plus and pro readers appear to read mobi files but not AZW3 files.

Thanks for helping me figure these things out.

Last edited by eurasiarc; 09-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.