Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Today, 02:18 PM   #196
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Let's face it, if sideloading/the ability to remove DRM suddenly went away, we'd all be reading Kindles.
Speak for yourself, my Kobo library is much larger than my Kindle library. If walled gardens became permanent I would be on the Kobo side.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #197
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Speak for yourself, my Kobo library is much larger than my Kindle library. If walled gardens became permanent I would be on the Kobo side.
And there is also libraries to consider.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #198
ps67
Evangelist
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
I don't think that somebody but Amazon could have the force of constraining their reader in walled gardens. And I am not sure even for Amazon

For example Kobo sells their ebook in Kepub for downloading in Kobo devices (or Kobo app) but they sell Epub eventually with ADE DRM to be read on other devices. And it can read DRMed books bought elsewhere trough ADE. And many other devices don't even need to pass trough ADE. This thread is about Nook but I don't know if nook sells also ADE DRMed books, may be convenient to do it also for them.

About Amazon: may they are tempted by walled gardens in fact You can't read any book bought from Amazon elsewhere without conversion if it comes in AZW3 or KFX (other than DRM issues). Only if it comes in mobi, the worst ebook format still in circulation, You can read it elsewhere.

And about reading on a Kindle something not purchased from them: You can send to them the book but You will read in the mobi format, while books can be converted into AZW3 and KFX only because of calibre. And the cover books signifies that sideloading is not something they encourage too much.

Amazon is getting closer and closer but I don't think they will be able to reach the situation:
1. read my books only on my devices or app: may be they could but I don't know if it is convenient for them;
2. don't read on my devices anything but Ebooks purchased from me: it seems difficult because they should prevent USB downloading also for their books.

But my impression is that apart a minority most reader simply buy a book, download it trough wi fii and read it on their Kindle or Kobo or Nook or what else so they are already in the walled garden and don't need to escape from it.

Last edited by ps67; Today at 03:24 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #199
Rbneader
Evangelist
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Yep.

Most people want their tools to just work. Hammers just work. Screwdrivers just work. Ovens just work. They're busy, and tired, and have jobs and families and more important things to do. Their ereader should just work.

And, for most people, fiction books are fungible entertainment. People who read occasionally - the vast, vast majority - read popular things in genres they like. There's always another book on the latest top 10 list if the one they thought of isn't available.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #200
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

About Amazon: may they are tempted by walled gardens in fact You can't read any book bought from Amazon elsewhere without conversion if it comes in AZW3 or KFX (other than DRM issues). Only if it comes in mobi, the worst ebook format still in circulation, You can read it elsewhere.

Is the above true? I assume you mean if you have a DRM free AZW3 file, you can only read it on Kindle ereaders/apps? I just tried opening a DRM free AZW3 file in Calibre, and Calibre was able to open it (this was a epub converted AZW3), so I assume a DRM free AZW3 file purchased from Amazon would be able to be read by Calibre?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:09 PM   #201
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
This thread is about Nook but I don't know if nook sells also ADE DRMed books, may be convenient to do it also for them.
No they don't.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect if they did, they would be selling more books.

Last edited by ZodWallop; Today at 05:11 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote