Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Kobo Forma case

I recently purchased a new Leather case for my Forma from a company on Etsy called Hand and Hide. I had good experiences with their cases on both my iPad Mini and my Kindle Oasis. Their cases are expensive, but in my opinion you get what you pay for. This is the kind of leather that requires break-in and gains character with age. For me a glass of wine and a weathered leather cover add to the reading experience.
Any way, they had never made a Forma cover, but took on the challenge. I was given the opportunity to decide which orientation the thick end of the Forma would face. I received the original cover and it did not fit, too small! I complained and received an immediate response. They said they would make it right and get a new cover shipped by the following Monday. They made corrections based on images I sent and I now have the new cover in hand.
I am extremely pleased. This is replacing the Kobo Leather Oragami cover. I will miss the sleep function and the nice fit of that cover. This new cover is simple, not high tech, but it is much nicer thicker leather (like you would see in a saddle, not Gucci shoes!).
Thanks, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECB215D6-58CD-4231-AA97-ED183D2E1D15.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	180426   Click image for larger version

Name:	7016AB78-CAA2-4566-9B35-1BB45DBF3195.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	180427   Click image for larger version

Name:	409517D1-C2D1-4121-B20C-F30C16B70C62.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	180428   Click image for larger version

Name:	06F64E04-8F5C-481C-AC85-E94BBEC765D4.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	180429  
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Beautiful cover! There's nothing like full grain leather
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Xtine,
Yes, and the best part is it looks better, the older it gets!
Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
It looks nice, I can understand that it adds to your reading experience. From the pictures it looks like this would make the Kobo kinda uncomfortable to hold. I bet you could sew a magnet into it pretty easily to make it a sleep cover.

Personally, I really like my original cover. Even if your leather case lasts longer, you probably paid 4x as much for it. I'm glad you're happy with it though.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #5
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Why is it so important to make a slim and light reader heavy?
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post
Why is it so important to make a slim and light reader heavy?
personal preference.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
This looks great! I have a normal kobo case for my libra but I'm always tempted to get a nice real leather case.
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #8
jmmcg9
Zealot

In my opinion it actually is better for holding the Forma because there are more options. I flip the cover around to the back and snap it closed. Then you can slip a finger in the gap for support.That leaves my thumb free for page changes. You can hold the reader in any orientation without blocking the screen.
The lack of automatic sleep mode hasn’t been a big deal. I think I was lucky and got a Forma with a functional power button.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #9
jmmcg9
Zealot

It does make the reader a little heavier than with the Kobo cover, but i don’t find that to be a problem. Of course the preference for a lighter reader may become a priority in another ten years! Today the experience outweighs the weight (pun intended).
Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
I have found that the Forma is extremely comfortable to use/hold without a case at all. I use the Kobo Forma OEM case when taking it with me out & about, but in the house I've recently found the joy of caseless reading!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I have found that the Forma is extremely comfortable to use/hold without a case at all. I use the Kobo Forma OEM case when taking it with me out & about, but in the house I've recently found the joy of caseless reading!
My sentiments exactly. The OEM case is excellent and I use it when out of the house, as the Forma is really a treat to hold when naked. Incredibly lightweight.

Last edited by Skydog; 07-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote