Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 01:56 AM   #1
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Admob?

What the hell is admob?
How can I remove this garbage?
Old 06-18-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
buy a CC subscription to go ad free.
they have warned us, several times, that ads were coming to the free version. I guess that is what you are seeing.

the reasons they are going this route have been discussed to death.
you can either pay, find an alternative app, or roll back to older bugged versions and stay on those

google search says:
Google AdMob is a mobile advertising platform that you can use to generate revenue from your app. Key capabilities. Earn more from AdMob's in-app ads. Show ...
Old 06-18-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
buy a CC subscription to go ad free.
they have warned us, several times, that ads were coming to the free version. I guess that is what you are seeing.

the reasons they are going this route have been discussed to death.
you can either pay, find an alternative app, or roll back to older bugged versions and stay on those

google search says:
Google AdMob is a mobile advertising platform that you can use to generate revenue from your app. Key capabilities. Earn more from AdMob's in-app ads. Show ...
I have bought CC.
These stupid, buggy updates forced me to beta test - and now this shit even more!
To the developers, there should only be some brain: there are also users who have bought an application and for some reason have signed up for the beta test. but they are still buyers!
Tests can be done with a demo version, but with a purchase version it is a cheek

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-18-2020 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i also " bought CC" - years ago, but that does not count

the plan is that on Apple, to lose the ads you click on the subscribe option and pay a monthly fee.

AFAIK the adds and the fee option are not on android yet, but maybe that varies by country.

complain directly to developers
Old 06-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i also " bought CC" - years ago, but that does not count
And why?
Then I want back my money!
I bought an app without ads and i bought it not for Apple and payd not for change to an subscription version.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
And why?
Then I want back my money!
I bought an app without ads and i bought it not for Apple and payd not for change to an subscription version.
yawn.
you are so late to the party.
the rest of us had that debate months ago

the system is not going to change because you just got around to noticing it and not liking it.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On Android it's possible to block Admob ads (they're an Alfabet subsidiary). I have them blocked on a couple of Google apps. No idea it can be done on IOS for CC.

BR
Old 06-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Android it's possible to block Admob ads (they're an Alfabet subsidiary). I have them blocked on a couple of Google apps. No idea it can be done on IOS for CC.

BR
1. i think he is complaining about android ( post #5)

2. its not the sort of app you spend hours inside of - you go in, choose a book ,start reading... and now you are in a different app.... so I don't see that ads are a big deal

3. a free vpn solution like adclear claims to block all ads, including those in apps and those served over HTTPS. I find those "solutions" more trouble than they are worth though - you have to setup a secure lock screen, they randomly stop working, and every so often they glitch - and constantly bug you with a " network has changed" message when you browse
https://adclear.com/
AdClear is the premier non-root adblocker for Android users. AdClear’s technology filters out advertisers before they invade your browsing or app experience. Our adblocker is the best in the market at blocking YouTube ads, and we’re the first on Android to block encrypted ads. As a bonus, AdClear's Firewall and Doze features combined with ad blocker saves battery, bandwidth, and loading times for users, and keeps users safe from malware-infected ads.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How did you do it?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If you go into a restaurant and buy a meal, do you expect to eat there free the rest of the time?

It all comes down to do you want an app that is developed and maintained on an on going basis or not. If a developer can't make a profit, then what you are left with is either abadonware or hobbyware. Hobbyware most of the time becomes abandonware after a few years.

If the app isn't worth it to you, then fine. Me, I'm willing to pay $10 a year for the app. It's worth it for me. Personally, I hate ads. I have other apps that I've dropped because they went to the subscription model and it just wasn't worth it to me. It's your choice.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you go into a restaurant and buy a meal, do you expect to eat there free the rest of the time?
Yes, when I have paid for it.
Quote:
It all comes down to do you want an app that is developed and maintained on an on going basis or not. If a developer can't make a profit, then what you are left with is either abadonware or hobbyware. Hobbyware most of the time becomes abandonware after a few years.
I am not interested in such considerations that require understanding - a contract is a contract
Quote:
If the app isn't worth it to you, then fine. Me, I'm willing to pay $10 a year for the app. It's worth it for me. Personally, I hate ads. I have other apps that I've dropped because they went to the subscription model and it just wasn't worth it to me. It's your choice.
Well, I insist on keeping the contract - Android 5.4.3.3 (here without the link) can already be found on the Internet.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
I insist on keeping the contract - Android 5.4.3.3 (here without the link) can already be found on the Internet.
Could you please remove the mega link on your previous post too?. Thanks. Unless you're allowed by the copyright holder, of course.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Could you please remove the mega link on your previous post too?. Thanks. Unless you're allowed by the copyright holder, of course.
No - not for contract breaker.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
No - not for contract breaker.
In your opinion.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW: it isn't a copyright violation to post a link to an identical-to-shipped un-hacked version of an APK. If it hasn't been hacked then running it will require the same license check that the play store version applies.

On the other hand, if the APK has been hacked so that it doesn't require a license check then there is a clear violation. The person posting it is certainly breaking the US DCMA law, and as far as I can tell EU copyright regulations. It is also sufficient reason for MobileRead mods to ban the person. I haven't checked to see if this is what is happening now.
Closed Thread