Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
As some of the articles on Hitch's site indicate, authors are quite quick to complain — only their gripes are ill-directed. The pressure should be on Amazon and Adobe and others to properly support international standards which have been written in stone, almost for decades.
It's too late. Even if Adobe was to support small caps, it would not be advisable to use it in CSS for a lot of Readers because there are too many older versions of RMSDK/ADE out there where it's not supported. For example, Sony Readers and Kobo. Sony Readers will never be updated and Kobo probably not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #32
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
The pressure should be on Amazon and Adobe and others to properly support international standards which have been written in stone, almost for decades.
"Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards!" (fake movie quotes)
Amazon and Adobe remind me at William Gibsons zaibatsus. They do not follow rules. They create rules.
Do you really believe you can put pressure to Adobe and Amazon? How? With nukes?
Amazon ebooks is probably less than .1!!! pct in Bezos spreadsheet. Similarly is Adobe.
They just do not give a f...

!!! edit: it is more like .00001pct

Last edited by najgori; 06-08-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: percentages
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's too late. Even if Adobe was to support small caps, it would not be advisable to use it in CSS for a lot of Readers because there are too many older versions of RMSDK/ADE out there where it's not supported. For example, Sony Readers and Kobo. Sony Readers will never be updated and Kobo probably not.
All Kobos are quite happy to render font-variant:small-caps; as long as your book is a kepub (i.e. everything Kobo sells). The small-caps will be 'simulated' from the font currently in use rather than a true small-caps font.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kindles do the same in at least one (maybe more) of the Amazon book formats.

Kobos are certainly able to display true small-caps by using the industry standard method of embedding a suitable font in the book. I'd hope Kindles would be the same, but I don't know.

There are tricks you can use on a Kobo (kepub or epub) to avoid font embedding by referencing a sideloaded true small-caps font with suitable CSS. It's probably more effort than most users want to be bothered with.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #34
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
It's too late. [...].
Support for OT features (font-variant & al) already exist for Calibre, Sigil and LibreOffice. QuarkeXPress paid a front page publicity in 2018 touting its brand new support for OT features. Some companies do like to brag about their alleged "advanced typography"...

You'll be proved wrong about this sooner than you think.

Last edited by roger64; 06-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
All Kobos are quite happy to render font-variant:small-caps; as long as your book is a kepub (i.e. everything Kobo sells). The small-caps will be 'simulated' from the font currently in use rather than a true small-caps font.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kindles do the same in at least one (maybe more) of the Amazon book formats.

Kobos are certainly able to display true small-caps by using the industry standard method of embedding a suitable font in the book. I'd hope Kindles would be the same, but I don't know.

There are tricks you can use on a Kobo (kepub or epub) to avoid font embedding by referencing a sideloaded true small-caps font with suitable CSS. It's probably more effort than most users want to be bothered with.
With Mobi you have to do the simulated small caps. It's a shame that Adobe didn't support small caps properly. If they did, we would not need to code for small caps.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yes, but again, that's fine for personal use; not much good for commercial eBooks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but again, that's fine for personal use; not much good for commercial eBooks.
Agreed, I thought that was implicit in me calling them tricks. Perhaps I should have been more explicit. Commercial books should only use embedding if true small-caps are absolutely 'required'.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Agreed, I thought that was implicit in me calling them tricks. Perhaps I should have been more explicit. Commercial books should only use embedding if true small-caps are absolutely 'required'.
Embedding small caps won't work. Kindles cannot handle that properly. You embed small caps in KF8 and the body font goes to hell. You get serif or sans-serif and not your choice of font. Plus, if Publisher Font is not selected, you get uppercase. Kindles have botched font embedding big time.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Embedding small caps won't work. Kindles cannot handle that properly. You embed small caps in KF8 and the body font goes to hell. You get serif or sans-serif and not your choice of font. Plus, if Publisher Font is not selected, you get uppercase. Kindles have botched font embedding big time.
I wouldn't know. Everyday I'm thankful that I don't need to worry about commercial books or "what would Kindle do?".
Old 06-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yeah, just clarifying for the newbies that come along later, when this thread is dust in the wind to the rest of us. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yeah, just clarifying for the newbies that come along later, when this thread is dust in the wind to the rest of us. :-)

Hitch
Old 03-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #42
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
All Kobos are quite happy to render font-variant:small-caps; as long as your book is a kepub
Thanks for that. I just noticed that font-variant: small-caps; was not working on my Libra 2 with epubs and was researching why.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the following in the CSS

PHP Code:
.smallcaps {

font-size0.7em;

text-transformuppercase;

Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Thanks for that. I just noticed that font-variant: small-caps; was not working on my Libra 2 with epubs and was researching why.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the following in the CSS

PHP Code:
.smallcaps {

font-size0.7em;

text-transformuppercase;

The reason smallcaps is not working with ePub on your Libra 2 is because the version of RMSDK that's used for ePub is too old. Kobo really needs to use a newer version.

And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.8333em. And I'm not sure that the text-transform to uppercase works or not with ePub and if that is the case, you'll need to drop it and make sure the text is uppercase.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-04-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #44
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The reason smallcaps is not working with ePub on your Libra 2 is because the version of RMSDK that's used for ePub is too old. Kobo really needs to use a newer version.

And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.888em. And I'm not sure that the text-transform to uppercase works or not with ePub and if that is the case, you'll need to drop it and make sure the text is uppercase.
The text uppercase does work in epubs on Libra 2. I use it for chapter headings which are all caps, so I then don't get all caps in the TOC

0.888em is oddly specific. Any reason? Is there such a thing as smallcap fonts? I should google it.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #45
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
The text uppercase does work in epubs on Libra 2. I use it for chapter headings which are all caps, so I then don't get all caps in the TOC

0.888em is oddly specific. Any reason? Is there such a thing as smallcap fonts? I should google it.
There are definitely smallcap fonts. I can't speak to that .888em figure there but you generally want small caps to be a smidge taller than your font's x-height, and that does sound like it'd likely land close for many fonts.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote