Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #76
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was thinking it was maybe one of your clients "messy" files. I've seen what can come from Word and it can be an abomination.
No, not for that type of testing. For some things, like TransTools, yes--I'd test that against one of our typical OMG files.

But to see what type of HTML a program would generate, no. I'd want to see what it would do with a "typical" file that we'd pre-cleaned, as we always do.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #77
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think the problem was that the Wordperfect team sat on their respective butts and were late to the game when it came to developing a Windows version.
Corel is where software goes, not to die, but to be mummified. Ask any photographer about how much they love Corel and what they do to the software they buy.

A new feature of substance in ANY Corel product is so rare that any sort of celebration will go for naught because none of us may live long enough to see another!

As far as Word Processors go, I use MS Word because it can be used on my Android tablet as well as my PC. I used to use LibreOffice but when I subscribed to Microsoft OneDrive (Office 365), MS Office Suite came with it. I've taken to using Wavemaker for 'creative' writing, again because of the cross-platform compatibility.

Microsoft is under the impression that I bought 365 for the suite and the OneDrive account is an extra. They don't know what they are talking about!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-13-2020 at 11:35 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #78
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

Microsoft is under the impression that I bought 365 for the suite and the OneDrive account is an extra. They don't know what they are talking about!
The point of bundles is that it doesn't matter what part of the bundle drives the sale. Getting the foot in the door is what matters mostm

I got Microsoft365 (neé Office 365) for the 5TB online storage. Enough for me and my sibs. Word on Android is a bonus. The other apps, I use once in a while to rarely. But I get what I need and don't need to buy much else in the productivity arena. (A few Softmaker cheapies.)

The same with Amazon Prime; some buy for it for the shipping, some for the media. I don't do much music streaming but what I do is fine from my (ripped CDs) or Amazon. The video has a couple nice series. And my mother enjoys the free ebooks. It adds up.

Done right, bundles are great business. Whatever drives you, *they* get the customer and the competitors don't.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-13-2020 at 01:15 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #79
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I heard GRR Martin still uses Wordstar!
Offtopic a bit, but I'm kinda curious how that workflow goes, with wordstar being so ancient and him presumably running it on ancient hardware, how does he get the files from his computer to the publisher?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #80
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Offtopic a bit, but I'm kinda curious how that workflow goes, with wordstar being so ancient and him presumably running it on ancient hardware, how does he get the files from his computer to the publisher?
Probably like all the other dilettantes out there--through the not-so-careful application of clericals.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Hitch, is there any Word processor out there that with a properly formatted document can make an ePub that's got decent code?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Libre Office Writer -> saveAs DocX -> Calibre -> epub2.
But everything, especially the usage of the LO Writer has to be "just right" or it's wrong! Must not edit the docx, only native odt and SaveAs an extra copy in docx.
Headings, anchors, links, paragraph styles must be correct. Character styles don't work except the automatic ones for links, but inline bold or italic without a character style is OK.
No snap to grid, register true or other stuff only suitable for PDFs / POD paper versions.
Tables and footnotes (end notes) are possible, but best avoided.
I'd only use epub / mobi / azw for fiction / novels, not comics or graphic novels or technical documents or text books. Images need testing on 4" phone app, 6" kindles, 7" Kobo and 10" tablet.
Any "new" style needs checked on the real targets to make sure what seems like OK CSS & HTML & Images actually does what I think.
I practice by exporting ebooks as RTF, import the RTF to LO Writer and apply my style template / rules.
I have two templates for ebooks, one is default. The version of Word I was using seems tricker on styles and docx than LO Writer (word 2002 with updates). Word 2003 and Word 2007 are supposed to be best.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-14-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #83
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth
I heard GRR Martin still uses Wordstar!
That is the point. The WordStar is so ancient that on the computer running it it is impossible to do anything else but write. Perfect distraction-free writing. Also, you will not be wasting any time wrestling with styles, formatting, ... just pure writing.
Oh ... and the Wordstar doesn't try to be helpful. It does no spell check, it doesn't capitalize letters unless you press Shift with the key, doesn't do any automatic formatting you have to undo - actually, any of the mainstream word processors can be configured that way, after more of less tweaking and frustrated desk-banging, but Wordstar is configured like that after you load it from an 8" floppy disk or drum memory, or perforated tale or whatever media you prefer ;-)

I have not found any interview or article where he describes how he exports the text for his publisher or how he makes a back-up of his work. Such an old DOS machine can fail at any moment. I want to believe he is prepared for that eventuality.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #84
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have not found any interview or article where he describes how he exports the text for his publisher or how he makes a back-up of his work. Such an old DOS machine can fail at any moment. I want to believe he is prepared for that eventuality.
I wonder if this Wordstar thing is more myth than fact at this point. I suspect the computer and software exists, somewhere. But I suspect once one becomes an industry, actual typing is done by others.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #85
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I'd rather use an IBM Selectric typewriter. They were great to write with during their day.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #86
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I wonder if this Wordstar thing is more myth than fact at this point. I suspect the computer and software exists, somewhere. But I suspect once one becomes an industry, actual typing is done by others.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if he's running it on ancient hardware or in either DOSbox or FreeDOS which... should make it easier to export.

(And I suspect he can get away with stuff that a no-name author couldn't because he's George R. R. Martin, the guy behind Game of Thrones.)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #87
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quite possible: write it on WS, print, flip to Secretary. Or FTP the file. There are still document format converters that understand WordStart, xyWrite, Word 1.0, and even WANG. Not always cheap but if you still have data trapped in dinoware any price is cheap.

You'd be surprised at the high level types that still don't bother with useful software. Some use Notepad or whatever text editor they learned once upon a time. Or dictate to tape.

Scott MacNeally (CEO OF SUN in its heydey) insisted nobody needed anything but CUT, PASTE, & DELETE in a Word Processor. Around the same time one of the big media companies released a review of the Original PalmPilot breathlessly proclaiming it all the computer anybody would ever need. And then there's the Post-PC myth, the iPad=computer marketing, the endless attempt to sell phone docks...

Plenty of people fail to grasp any computing needs beyond email and social media. And the more money they have the less they have to. They "have people for that".

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-25-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #88
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
There is a famous interview of GRRM with Patrick O'Brien where he describes his DOS computer running wordstar. And the interview isn't *that* old.

Some authors have very peculiar choices regarding the system of writing. Rowling writes in pen on paper. Jonathan Franzen famously typed blindfolded in a completely dark, almost empty room he rented for just that purpose, so he could concentrate better on his characters.

Once you are famous enough, you can get away with almost anything [as long as you keep producing manuscripts].

When I become a very famous writer I will be bragging that I write in Vim ;-).

Last edited by kacir; 05-25-2020 at 02:55 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #89
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

On behalf of Emacs users everywhere, I shall start organizing the boycott right now.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #90
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

It's better for drinking.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/vim

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-25-2020 at 06:24 PM.