Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2023, 11:21 AM   #1
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do I SSH into my JB PW3 5.15.1?

I jailbroke my PW3 using the Popcorn hack.

Then I installed all the hotfix, kual and stuff. Then USB network.
I set up the drivers and can ping the kindle's IP just fine.

However, I've looked for a clear, definite writeup on how to SSH into it and they seem to be older. None that I tried worked.

when I do "ssh root@kindle_ip" it says connection refused, and that's it.

Perhaps there's another way to try and solve the issue I'm having. I'm trying to access /etc/version.txt to try and downgrade from this god awful 5.15.1 firmware into something else.

However, the downgrader found in the Snapshots thread doesn't work. I already did several factory resets and reflashed the kindle via SDP mode several times, the same happens, that package doesn't show up in Kual.

The older Downgrader 2.0 package shows up, but when I try to use it with any PW3 firmware it fails with "error 12".

Any ideas on how to downgrade from this firmware?
Vlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Are you trying to ssh over usbnet or wifi?

What OS is on your computer?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #3
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are you trying to ssh over usbnet or wifi?

What OS is on your computer?
I tried over USB net on Windows 10. I also have a Linux machine, but it seems like the process is a bit convoluted there.

BTW, something is weird with this jailbreak. The first time I did it everything ran fine, after i did a factory reset (like you mentioned on another thread) the KOreader, downgraded 2.0, Helper and Kual+ and the MRPI helper menu in Kual don't work anymore. The JB hotfix doesn't install via system update either.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlash View Post
I tried over USB net on Windows 10. I also have a Linux machine, but it seems like the process is a bit convoluted there.

BTW, something is weird with this jailbreak. The first time I did it everything ran fine, after i did a factory reset (like you mentioned on another thread) the KOreader, downgraded 2.0, Helper and Kual+ and the MRPI helper menu in Kual don't work anymore. The JB hotfix doesn't install via system update either.
I don't use windows, so can't help with that.

After factory reset, you need to reinstall everything.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:38 PM   #5
Vlash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't use windows, so can't help with that.

After factory reset, you need to reinstall everything.
I can do it on Linux too, however, the guides i found here seem to be for much older kindles.

Edit:

BTW I did reinstall everything, however, i wasn't able to install the hotfix via Kindle interface after the factory reset, i put in the root folder but "Update your Kindle" remains greyed out. I installed it via mrpi, but there are some bugs, several extensions don't work after the factory reset.

As i see other people here do this without problems, i guess this is maybe a problem specific to FW 5.15.1

Last edited by Vlash; 02-04-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Advert