Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #1
apolitx
apolitx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Any news on JB for 5.15.1?

Got my first Kindle yesterday (my Kobo aura screen got messed up and haven't find a way to fix it in months). Jailbreaked it instantly, everything was working perfectly. A couple hours later, it updated to 5.15.1 FW aaaaand jailbreak was bye. Does anybody know if there is someone working on a jailbreak for the latest firmware? If not, then i will opt for patience, since keeping my kindle wifi-less is not really useful for me right now. Thanks in advanced!
apolitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Did you install the hotfix after you did the jailbreak?

If so, you shoud be able to restore the jailbreak>
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2023, 05:53 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Did you install the hotfix after you did the jailbreak?

If so, you shoud be able to restore the jailbreak>
You mean jb survives update to 5.15.1?
Has this been verified? I couldn't find any confirmation of this.

Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:44 AM   #4
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
If you did JB, and installed JB hotfix, then just reinstall KUAL and JB hotfix.

1. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin and Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin into /mrpackages
2. Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to let MRPI to (re)install KUAL.

Then KUAL icon would work again.

Good luck.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
apolitx

Unhappy

hi!

so i had the hotfix, but i must have messed up at some point because i couldn't manage to restore it.

so i choose to do a factory reset, thinking it would downgrade my device to the previous version.

spoiler alert: it didn't work, and now i have a definitely not jailbreak device, and unjailbreakable atm. anyways, thank all of your for your help. i'll keep my fingers crossed that someone finds a way to JB the last firmware updates.

tbh, what irks me the most of not having it JB is how little intuitive is the kindle with sideloaded content- it doesn't matter how much i adjust the metadata, details, covers, etc, it just won't be intuitive in the ereader, and it makes me sad unu
Advert
Old 01-02-2023, 07:26 AM   #6
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolitx View Post
hi!
spoiler alert: it didn't work, and now i have a definitely not jailbreak device, and unjailbreakable atm. anyways, thank all of your for your help. i'll keep my fingers crossed that someone finds a way to JB the last firmware updates.
Not really a spoiler... it's written everywhere, in almost every post and quite every thread in the developer's forum NOT to reset to factory settings ever.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
apolitx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Not really a spoiler... it's written everywhere, in almost every post and quite every thread in the developer's forum NOT to reset to factory settings ever.
tbh, i completely missed that, despite reading the guides multiple times. i've had experience hacking/jailbreaking/rooting tons of devices and usually factory resets are not a problem. however this was not the case, and i'll just wait for someone with the knowledge and time to find a solution! and if not, i'll try to sell the kindle and buy a kobo with what i recover
Old 01-07-2023, 11:14 AM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolitx View Post
tbh, i completely missed that, despite reading the guides multiple times. i've had experience hacking/jailbreaking/rooting tons of devices and usually factory resets are not a problem. however this was not the case, and i'll just wait for someone with the knowledge and time to find a solution! and if not, i'll try to sell the kindle and buy a kobo with what i recover
You certainly can, but why were you jailbreaking it in the first place?
To use it as a reading device, there is little need for jailbreak nowadays. You can do pretty much everything without jailbreaking.
You can't play sudoku, use it as a scratchpad or place reminders on it, but they are not the best things you could do with an e-reader anyway.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
To use it as a reading device, there is little need for jailbreak nowadays. You can do pretty much everything without jailbreaking.
amzaon has been busy taking things away that now require jailbreak, such as the ability to disable sleep. Other people don't like the new UI.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 PM   #10
apolitx

Quote:
You can't play sudoku, use it as a scratchpad or place reminders on it, but they are not the best things you could do with an e-reader anyway.

mostly because i really don't enjoy the way the kindle handles it's files. i really miss having a file explorer bc it would make things way easier! but it's true: i can manage without jailbreaking it for the moment. the easiest organization method i found is:

1) make sure the book's metadata is as accurate and correct as possible (thx calibre)
2) modify the name and metadata so it will actually show on my kindle - this is specially important for comics and mangas
3) when adding books, work in "batches": either by saga, genre, mood. and as soon as i finish that batch, disconnect the kindle, organize these new books on a collection, and repeat the process

thank everyone for your helpful answers!
Old 01-11-2023, 01:17 AM   #11
QBit99
Enthusiast
QBit99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
amzaon has been busy taking things away that now require jailbreak, such as the ability to disable sleep. Other people don't like the new UI.
I share your pain at the uselessness of a non-Jailbroken kindle. My paperwhite got stolen last year. I had a file manager, KOReader and kept well away from the disastrous updates Amazon frequently threw around. I truly was a happy man!
The Kindle Basic i got a couple of days back came with FW 5.15.1. Looks like there'll be a lot of waiting for a JB
QBit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:13 AM   #12
szabio
szabio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Can you recommend a nice file manager?
Maybe something like Norton Commander?
I have a KT2.
Thanks.
szabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:46 AM   #13
muggleMode
Enthusiast
muggleMode began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
I upgraded and lost the jailbreak, now I'm patiently waiting for 5.15.1 with airplane mode on, but I don't miss jailbreaking much at the moment either...
I root my android phones since 2012 to use them with gestures, and I can do it with koreader too... it's very useful.
muggleMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #14
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by szabio View Post
Can you recommend a nice file manager?
Maybe something like Norton Commander?
I have a KT2.
Thanks.
I don't know if this is current, but it might be worth checking out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21812

Another possibility is with SSH access you should be able to mount the Kindle file system and use your choice of file manager on your computer.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 01-11-2023 at 11:10 AM. Reason: additional option
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:27 AM   #15
oldman20
oldman20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
If you did JB, and installed JB hotfix, then just reinstall KUAL and JB hotfix.

1. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin and Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin into /mrpackages
2. Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to let MRPI to (re)install KUAL.

Then KUAL icon would work again.

Good luck.
is hotfix universal or for special device? Where I can find hotfix for my Kindle OA2? Thank
oldman20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak restore, restore jailbreak